Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Devastator Mk II Heavy Fighter (No Mods)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by WardenWolf, Jun 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Wolf Industries is proud to present to you the Devastator Mk II Heavy Fighter. With improved looks and lower mass than the original, the Devastator Mk II is capable of ruining anything's day. It packs a whopping 10 rocket launchers and 10 gatling guns into its low-profile heavy armor hull, yet remains extremely fast and maneuverable. It is capable of advanced maneuvers such as circle strafe, and is very forgiving in its handling. In the hands of a skilled pilot, the Devastator Mk II is a force to be reckoned with.

Workshop Link

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. erdrik Apprentice Engineer

... I sat for several minutes trying to think of a way to say what I wanted without being rude.
    But its late and Im tired. So Im sorry if I sound mean, but:

Ships like this, weapon spam/stack, make me hope for a day that the devs make weapons have a chance of just straight exploding when hit.

3. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Whatever, man. YOU try making a ship this compact and heavily armored be this maneuverable. Getting enough reactors into the hull, along with a conveyor system, was a pain. Frankly, small ships still don't have much of a chance against large ships. Missiles were nerfed a while back so they won't destroy a large ship light armor block in one hit, meaning ships like mine are the only hope of doing sufficient damage to cripple or kill a large ship. And if the ship has heavy armor, forget it. Best you can hope for is knocking out the weapons.

4. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

First things first its fast and easy to control is as relevant as the earth will run out of water because of global warming but we will all drown because the glaciers melted from global warming. So to accurately rate this ship you need to give the acceleration in all directions. Secondly missile damage does not stack well in a small area when fired all at once. Thirdly a camera and a single gatling gun with thrusters in all directions and one medium cargo container can beat a large ship easily. Fourthly the ships that will do the best against large ships are medium ships, ships that have both a large and a small grid. Essentially this means a small ship with large ship gatling guns. DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA! Fifth I refuse to test this by downloading it because the gatling placement would strobe me to death.

5. erdrik Apprentice Engineer

No thanks. Mostly because I don't have the time or obligation.
    Also my post said nothing about the use of heavy armor, or the compact-ness of the ship.
    My opinion would remain the same on a 200m long large ship, if it had the same weapon spam.

Generally not a good idea to design ships based on the current condition of the game.
    Armor and weapon balance is still a work in progress, and could change in an update without warning.
    Hell, they may at one point even completely redo how damage in general is dealt.

Instead, base your designs off a consistent head-cannon.
    That way you don't have to worry about constantly changing balances that are still being worked on.

One single something is never the "only hope" of anything.
    I may be wrong, but your statement makes it sound like your judging your tests as if a single bomber should be capable of the desired damage.
    Are you accounting for the fact that a carrier could potentially carry 3-4 bombers?(or more depending on the design)
    Because... if a single fighter sized craft could be that significant of a threat to large ships, why would anyone build large ships at all?

6. Yossarian Trainee Engineer

in homeworld i use a lot of bombers against big ships, destroy improtant subsystems, cannons, engine

an then pound it to obliteration with an even larger ship *muhahaha* ... and i think this is the common way space combat work

20 of the devastotors should be able to do that ^^

7. mecra Apprentice Engineer

I would have personally liked the ship more if it had re-loadable rocket launchers. Having to hand load all those launchers would be a pain.

8. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

You have fairly thick wings in there....there's 2 inside blocks in them, plenty of space to put in enough reactors, cargo containers and a conveyor system

9. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Either way, she's mine, and she's a beast.
    Yeah. I just wish reloadable rocket launchers weren't so awkward, or so slow firing. Honestly, I think they should have made the original rocket launchers reloadable instead of introducing a whole new block.

10. Clunas Junior Engineer

While it sucks, I think the idea is that the rockets are too long to make the 90 degree turns in small conveyor tubes

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.