Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Different Joints

Discussion in 'General' started by DragonCMT, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DragonCMT Trainee Engineer

Weird title, I know. But I had an idea for Ball joints. If you don't know what that is, it's a joint just like your shoulder or hip. It can move in almost 360 degrees. Maybe the devs will be able to make something like. The use of rotors is limited, they can only rotate in set angles, usually just rotating. The reason I presented this idea is for robotic arms, like the ISS. They have a robotic arm off the side of the station to grab incoming pods and ships. Well, in space engineers, this "arm" will open a whole new world. My fellow space engineers will be able to grab ships and objects, just like the ISS. Please feel free to comment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Ball joints tend to be rather difficult to control in general terms, you can define the angle in a polar format which would give you a +/- azimuth and elevation, the positions of which aren't always clear when you try and figure it out.

Plus the arm on the ISS doesn't use any ball joints if I recall. It's a series of discrete hinging axis. You should look up MArmOs it should cover most of your want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I remember trying to create something like that.
    3 rotors later it does function like a rubbish ball point

[A][A][R][G]
    ........[A]
    ........[A]
    ........[R][A][A][P][C][D]
    ........[G]

A= block light armor
    R= rotor set to light resistance
    G= gyroscope to rotate
    C= cockpit
    P= piston

it was ugly and rough but in a sense it did function like a ball joint.
    I was able to carve out a humorously large hole then realized i drilled out of driveway....

4. Carrion Senior Engineer

[​IMG] [​IMG]

that gives 3 axis movement, it can be modified and made a little smaller but its the only way to really get 3 axis movement that i have found similar to a ball joint .
    --- Automerge ---
    [​IMG]

about as small as i could make it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sinbad Senior Engineer

I wouldn't mind one of these as a single block

you can make them in SE, but they need to quadrilateral, which means you can't use any of the motion control algorithms already developed for tri-axial ones. and they end up huge.
    two of these back to back would be pretty close to a ball joint.

6. Carrion Senior Engineer

im pretty sure havoc will only allow a single axis of movement. i could be wrong. also it depends what the 3axis is to be used for. my example is for a planet bound articulation which needs the 3rd axis rotor where as a gun mount only needs 2 to get hemispherical access

7. Sinbad Senior Engineer

@Carrion, pretty sure havok allows six degrees of freedom on a joint by default. you can add hard constraints to axis in havok, but I don't think thats the way keen is using them. I won't go into that here as I've gone in depth elsewhere.
    agreed a gun turret would not need to use all 3 rotational axis, nor would it need the planar translation this type of joint allows. easy solution to that problem is to not use those axis. but thats all in the software.
    come to think of it, if this type of joint isn't computer controled (even a simple 6dof simulated joint that doesn't bother with calculating actuator motions) its limited to the point of uselessness anyway.
    nevermind. can't control it effectivly from the toolbar. don't want anything gated away.

8. Carrion Senior Engineer

you learn something everyday. i would like to see some hinges as a non mod item,

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

controlling it would be fun. hopefully it will be as easy as attached a weak gyroscope. somehow.

10. DragonCMT Trainee Engineer

That's another thing I had an idea about, hinges. I agree, it would be an awesome vanilla item

11. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

In theory, controlling hinges could be incredibly easy, just a subset of existing rotor code with a hard max/min rotation angle limit (values of those would depend on the construction/type of rotor mechanism chosen). Yet another way to exalt Lord Klang!

12. Carrion Senior Engineer

yes it would be really simple and also make creation of Stuff (tm) much easier and neater. it simply would be a better and additional tool for us to use.

13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

From what I recall, the modded hinges are more stable than rotors. I've not messed with them, but I'd love to see them in the vanilla game. There are lots of situations where a hinge would be better than a rotor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DragonCMT Trainee Engineer

I've used one type of modded hinges. I forgot who made it. I agree though, with some one else making it, and not the devs just throwing another block at us would probably be more stable.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.