Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Do dedicated servers save when shutting down?

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by Sidneyaks, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sidneyaks Trainee Engineer

So I built a dedicated server (as a windows service) for my brother and I to play on asyncronously, and set the auto-save interval to 24 hours. Today my brother and I spent several hours in game, and then I shutdown the dedicated server (stopped it through services.msc) to apply windows updates. Unfortunately, I assumed when shutdown it would auto-save my game. It did not. :(

Is there an option to do this? Alternatively, is there an option to save when a play enters/leaves the game? Anything other than the autosave interval?
    Thank you,
    Sidney

2. sectoid Trainee Engineer

Sorry but no.

All you can do right now is wait for an autosave, then shut down the server. I'm sure it is aknowledged at Keen and will be fixed in near future.

3. Owlchemist Trainee Engineer

Pretty sure it does, actually. When you stop it, the modified timestamps on the save files all update. I been operating my DS under this belief for weeks now and haven't had any data loss issues.

4. sectoid Trainee Engineer

IIRC saving works if you run the server as windows client, but not if you run service. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I rent my server from 3rd party, and it has never saved the game when I take it down.

5. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

If a server has autosave turned on, and is shut down properly, it will autosave; Forceful termination will not trigger a save on exit though.
    Personally i run the server using a .bat file i made, using it to run the server with -noconsole and have it auto restart as well, it saves fine (I shut the server down using "taskkill /IM (appname.exe)" )

6. Owlchemist Trainee Engineer

The dedicated server automatically registers itself as a service the first time you run it. I usually don't use the GUI, but rather just start/stop it from the windows services control panel.

7. sectoid Trainee Engineer

Ok, seems like fragnet is the cause to my problems, they just admitted to me that when I use their gamepanel to shutdown the server, it will forcefully quit the process. No wonder I was under the false impression.

Guess I shouldnt base my opinion about working and unworking elements of the server from problems I face in a 3rd party enviroment :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.