Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Does Keen do any testing prior to releasing a patch?

Discussion in 'General' started by Aequoris, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Aequoris Trainee Engineer

Does Keen do any form of testing or QA prior to releasing a patch?
    What processes are there?
    What is the minimum standard a patch has to pass before being released to the community?
    I understand that there will be bugs and the game is not finished. But there are bugs, and then there are bugs.
    The issue with the asteroids going missing has me concerned. This isn't some obscure projector or rotor bug, this is a fundamental game element completely missing.

2. Fab Apprentice Engineer

of course not! [actually, idk]

3. Gentry Senior Engineer

What did you think you signed up to be when you bought this Alpha release.

Did you even read anything?

Have you ever even filled a bug report?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2014
  4. Angel89 Trainee Engineer

No words..some swear words....the first post was removed there was a lot of mats....asteroid no ..

5. Conradian Moderator

Yes. Stop being so disrespectful.
    I feel I may have to permalink this in my sig now:

6. DocMop Junior Engineer

I think he knows exactly what he's signed up for. Some bugs are just to .. woah ... to comprehend how they could have evaded testing. His question is legitimate.

And if there are so many game braking bugs that they are still present at Thursday .. why not delay the patch? As steam enforces us to patch to play online, it can be frustrating being forced to patch although knowing that it will prevent your from playing with your friends for some time. I can understand that.

7. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

Keen usually releases the patch to the CTG (Closed Testing Group), the CTG usually looks at the patch and then reports the bugs the find, Keen almost always ignores these bug reports and releases the patch anyway because they clearly have zero pride in their work and they assume everyone that plays this game is a mindless moron that spews catch phrases like "This is alpha, you're the tester" or some other equally moronic statement.

The fact is Keen follows no standardized development process in which a developer would then test their code changes prior to checking in their code, the management clearly doesn't care that they release utterly broken code week after week, especially during "bugfixing" which is what I only assume is the definition of irony. Keen clearly has no one doing any form of QA as most of the bugs in the past several months a trained chimp could find within seconds of playing the game or starting a dedicated server. But the real kicker to me is that the give it to a group of motivated community testers, who then do their due diligence and test the patch and report their findings... to which Keen completely ignores their reports and pushes the patch to the public anyway because they have absolutely no respect for their customers nor any pride in the work they do.

Keen is an embarrassment to game developers everywhere and only make it harder for hard working small studios to get crowdfunded for their game because companies like Keen burn their users with weeks and months of unplayable code.

8. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

The reason why this kinda bug happens is it's something called a last second bug. So when their coding and all of sudden a bug appears right before their gonna release and update so that bug gets fixed but they don't realize it has created another bug.

9. Skeloton Master Engineer

And you know this for a fact do you?

10. Conradian Moderator

Well you're obviously not in the CTG, so we can disregard every word in your post.

11. Skeloton Master Engineer

They swear and oath of silence.

12. SyKo232 Trainee Engineer

And you are? Conradian

13. SyKo232 Trainee Engineer

Took people literally minutes after the update to realise the game was broke.

14. reptile279 Trainee Engineer

Agreed. If you hate the game so much while its in development don't play it. Wait till its out of alpha or beta even then of it does this sort of thing I'll support the "this is bull shit" argument. Chances are it will be fixed tomorrow. Learn some patience and if you hate it that much go okay outside or something.

15. Skeloton Master Engineer

You have no understanding of the word Broken

[​IMG]

16. reptile279 Trainee Engineer

Great so it was found quickly. What's the point? They were going to apply the changes regardless for us to test out in the field. Undercontrolled conditions this may not have occurred. Or another bug was seen by the closed group and they foxed that and it caused this conflict.

17. Gentry Senior Engineer

dry your eyes mate and don't buy into an alpha test again

18. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

I am in close contact with several CTG members and this has been their common phrase over the past several months:

But judging by your dismissive statements you two are not in the CTG nor do you have the knowledge about software development to neither confirm nor disprove my statements. I would say you fit squarely into my previous statement about catch phrase... well I think we both know where you fit.. As if you could possibly disprove my statements after the past 2 months of Keen patches.

What I do find amusing is I brought up this point months ago and got trolled off the thread, and now I regularly see people that took part in that troll filled mess now echoing my original statements over and over again.

19. Conradian Moderator

And I'm the Queen of England.

20. reptile279 Trainee Engineer

Neither do you have any supporting evidence that you are in contact with anyone in CTG. I can exclaim I'm the king of Sweden and my penis is a radio transmitter and have the same level of proof you do. So either support that statement with evidence and possibly send a crg into a lawsuit or keep your assertions hypothetical.

21. Skeloton Master Engineer

Oh really and pigs fly.

You know what bugs are like? Hydras every time to fix one more show up. Also don't claim knowledge you don't have just to puff up your ego like some prize peacock, its just obnoxious.

Even if you have said knowledge don't puff up your ego, it isn't any less obnoxious.

22. TodesRitter Moderator

As i see you have no idea about the CTG and you didnt read our Forum Rules right.
    -banned

23. Skeloton Master Engineer

Wow....I did not see you coming Todes.

24. reptile279 Trainee Engineer

I was upset once during development. When post mod support update i lost the ability to load my save files. But guess what...I waited and that was resolved. Alpha requires patience, something you need a level of self control and understanding not everyone is capable of.

25. Skeloton Master Engineer

Or another game you like to play. That helps.

26. reptile279 Trainee Engineer

Boom! That was awesome.

27. Aequoris Trainee Engineer

Conradian, please don't assume disrespect since that was not the intention. My post was trying to understand the process prior to it getting into my hands.
    Essentially I have been playing this game for 6 months. I have not spoken a single word against Keen in all that time on these forums.
    I have no problem with bugs like the projector stopping world saves, pistons / rotors doing odd things and other bugs. I don't even mind losing my world occasionally due to an odd scenario that messes up the save routines.
    That has happened to me and I have not complained on these forums. As an early access player, I expect it to happen. I think my expectations are pretty realistic, I'm no fanboi, but I am no basher either, I am just someone who enjoys the game.

As proof, http://steamcommunity.com/id/Aequoris/recommended/244850/
    I have however, helped other people who have reported bugs, to pin down the cause with some extensive time spent testing various scenarios with those people, so I have contributed to the community.
    There is a line however, that says that the bug is so massive, that it should never have made it to the early access / test team. For the sake of argument, imagine a bug that the game doesn't render a single polygon on anyones systems. This bug when anyone loads the game, gives them a black screen. You would expect the developer to catch that and fix it after running the game after compiling, not the test team.
    I consider a bug like missing asteroids to be in that same class.
    My reasoning is simple. Asteroids are honking huge things. They can't be missed since they are so honking huge. And they are so central to the survival gameplay that playing the game for 5 minutes would have resulted in the observation that they are missing.
    This is the sort of thing that is so obvious that in my view, a developer should see it when they run the game after a successful build.

28. Skeloton Master Engineer

When SE goes tits up again I might play more DAI or Reassembly.

29. Spets Master Engineer

I also bought The Forest, the game is so broken and empty, but... I dont even play it, I just wait until they put something interesting on there.
    I also bought Starbound... but... well...
    I also have a Free copy of From the Deps, the Dev just gave me a FREE key like, woooot? But I only played it 15 min :s sorry. I was supposed to do a review or something...
    I also have my little Aurora waiting to start the adventure in the verse... it could take ages of waiting
    and I also bought ArmA3, and you know, that game is never done, never fixed, never complete

and you have the face to say Keen are the worst Indie Devs out there? with a patch every week, also quick fixes and new features? and you say they ignore us? they fixed the rotors annoying backward text box, and also the rotors, and so many things, they have priorities you know?
    god, why dont you get out of here a little bit and return when you learn what early access really means?

30. reptile279 Trainee Engineer

That too. However at the moment I'm not that interested in other games. Have a few I could play that I have but haven't picked up because of space engineers but....nah MORE SPACE ENGINEERS!!!!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.