Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Economy Update: Questions, Tips, and Observations

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by RkyMtnDude, Aug 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

Ok... SOOOO...
    I only spent a short amount of time playing the new update test... in MP and SP. So I didn't get much knowledge out of it and that is fine up to a point. Makes for the actual release to enjoy a short learning curve again. However, I do have questions.
    I ALSO figure this is a big enough update that it would be nice to hear others experiences, findings, etc.
    1. One thing I was curious about was purchasing or selling large quantities. From what I can see you can only buy/sell what you can fit into your personal inventory. Can you connect to a connector and sell/buy via the store and have it access your ship inventory? May seem like a simple answer but yeah, I didn't test.
    2. Is it possible to have a large block ship with a store on it, move it into a trading stations zone of protection, convert to station, and sell there within that safety zone? If so, sorta an exploit BUT also would make for a mega trade station. I think I was able to convert to station. There was someone else there and I wanted tyo be safe......
    Which leads me to this:
    3. At the same time I was reading in chat that someone was saying there were people who were able to push player ships out of the zone OR landing gear to them and take off. That was why I converted to station. Pretty sure I did and it worked. That would effectively make it secure as long as the zone stayed protected. So is there an issue/exploit with someone being able to push or move you?
    Anyone with other questions, Ideas, concerns????? OR Answers?

2. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

To 1: Yes, you can dock your ship at the stations to access the ship's storage to buy ore sell large quantities of goods. There is even a switch to set in the connectors if they for trade or not. One thing I can confirm is that you can't draw power from such a connector and there is an optional auto-disconnect function to prevent someone to block the connector. What I didn't had time to check was if it also prevents gases from beeing transfered and if it allows any connector to connect to an owned connector, but I take it has to be that way or it wouldn't make much sense.

To 2: It is possible to put trade and contract stations on a ship. If you can convert a ship to a station in a foreign safe zone I can't say. I could however put a safe zone block on a ship with admin tools, but the test ended before I could test it under real conditions. As the block has a warm-up time, I don't see it as a problem to move to an area with customers, set up shop, broadcast your shop, do bussiness, then turn off the zone, convert to ship again and move to the next area to do bussines.
    To 3: I only know that the owner of a safe zone can expell players of unwanted factions. Didn't hear of the landing gear trick but would be interessted in any information on that. A remedy, I would guess, is to lock yourselfe to the station before someone can "grab" your ship

3. chrisb Senior Engineer

Is the economy going to be a genuine one, ie; amounts of items, available/unavailable alter prices in sectors etc ?

I didn't play so not sure how things were set out.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

With NPCs putting out bounties, does it include GPS coordinates of where the infractions took place? That would be helpful for figuring out where the players are attacking the NPC faction and offer a lead as to where to look for them. It would also give the player who is crossing an NPC faction some pause to reflect if engaging an NPC is a wise choice.

5. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

No. It's a video game trading system that uses currency. Apparently all prices are globally set by supply and demand. I say apparently because it was difficult to tell for sure. Perhaps they are set based on supply and demand at each location. The NPC stores are only interested in selling stuff and not necessarily in making money.

It's an adequate system for a video game, but it's not a genuine one.

6. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

That would be handy info proving potential hot spots. I tried to find a ship that they lost contact with and never found it based on its last known coords. I had the impression it was supposed to be within 1k or something but even at 5k+ I never saw anything. It felt like when planets first came out and I detected Uranium ore. Played that first day. Dug for two days all over that detected site looking for it but there was none. Still showed on ther detector though! LOL Maybe time will flesh it out better.
    --- Automerge ---
    I didn't test trading out enough. I did try to do a SP game where I only allowed myself to mine if desperate. Loot and Trading almost exclusively was the plan. I think that will make for a good run on a server when released. But, while playing SP I found a trading post 35k away on the earth planet via the data pad in my lander. I jet packed there, took my one mil and bought a semi-decent rover. Ships were too expensive. I technically died/crashed 5 times trying to get back to my lander taking the better part of a Loooong time.. I only played a single session day that way. If I didn't cheat and just admin in the rover upright instead of trying to resolve it manually each I would have taken days. LOL I probably would never try that approach again. No guarantees on time spent on the route to get a rover back to your pod. It's possible that had I only mined and tech progressed that I could have built the rover quicker AND, most importantly, not lost it 5 times. The end result, built up with supplies and my grid build instead of driving up with a small beat up rover a day or more later.... if I survived at all. LOL
    One thing I think would maybe help is being able to go to a trader and buy a large thruster (or any other block). So then you get all the components of one complete thruster... OR, it gens one for you like a ship and you can tow or grind it maybe? But, point is, I don't know that you can go to a trader and get enough of the correct supplies to effectively build. It seems it was fairly random stuff in random qty's.
    If it wasn't for all the other elements of the update, I have a feeling the economy aspect of the update would be lackluster at best. It didn't really seem to add a deep dynamic to me. Now, some of the contracts seems promising. Don't get me wrong, economy could get stronger.... especially with other income streams and risks with potentially added survival necessities such as food and farming.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Domislix Trainee Engineer

Hello my name is Dominic.
    My Steam Account is STEAMID:gspkleiner
    I have all Space Engineers DLCs but i cant use the Gold,Messury and the Wood Skin. why? i realy need help from a moderator

8. Calaban Junior Engineer

to OP:
    1: you can only sell what they want, and buy what they offer, and there are limits to the amounts of each. No selling 100s or 1000s of anything. wont work. You can select either your inventory or the designated cargo on a ship thats connected through a trade connector.

2: cannot convert to station inside a stations safe zone. Cannot do anything in a safe zone other than lock to a trade connector. im not at this time certain how player own blocks work, either large ship nor conveyor wise.

3: no convert to station, nor lock landing gear inside zone, bumpercar pushing is doable, and collision damage is off as well. Simply dont plan on logging off/afk there.

Some other answers that I determined during testing (keep in mind testing time economy may be much different from official release economy)

-Each station has its own individual needs, and the amount of WANT of those needs is affected by player participation with those needs, as far as I could tell. By way of example, the shipyard over the moon during my test was kerrrAZY for gravity generator components. they bought them (only wanted 9 at a time) for $400k each. As I mass produced specifically for that need in a minifact on surface below the station, my repeated selling of grav gen components drove those (9 ea) prices down to around 250k. I assume had I left it alone for a while its price would have gone up. However the shipyards pricing did not affect other stations pricing at all.

-Markets are set up (or were in test) to have limited amounts of what could be bought or sold. This prevents "big ship lumbers in and sells 4 million iron ingots for profit", and similarly limits what can be bought. These quotas get update every 20-30 minutes or so, so "big market trading" seems to be nerfed from the get-go. Player markets may set whatever quota limits they want I suppose.

- Bounty missions dont list the crimes, nor the scene. They simply want a head. Upon taking the contract, that head has a loose 5km gps mark on it for your hunting pleasure, for 60 minutes. There is no penalty for failing to get the bounty, and it may be taken multiple times to learn "target movement and base patterns"... trolls beware.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  9. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

I'm not a moderator, but do you own the delux Edition? If yes, you should post this in the official bug recording tool, so that a Developer can investigate that, otherwise, you need the Delux Edition for that skins

10. Sarekh Senior Engineer

It's a bug - got that, too. Loads of other people also have it. It will most definitely be fixed. And a mod cannot help you, only the devs can. And they will :)

11. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I've installed the economy DLC, I've enabled the features in the advanced options in the map setup, I've added the store terminal, the contract terminal, and the DLC variants to a station... and, the contract station has no contracts, the store sells nothing, and the ATM sells only basic tools and ammunition.

It's pretty underwhelming.

12. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

If you place the contract and store yourselfe you have to administer itselfe and add contracts you want people to fullfill or stuff you want to sell. The ATM should only allow to deposit and withdraw space credits, not to sell items, that would be the vending machine, but I didn't had time to try this out yet.
    BTW, you want to properly report that here:https://support.keenswh.com/spaceengineers

13. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@FoolishOwl if you are wanting to pick up and do a contract to get paid you have to get it from a NPC terminal, or a terminal created by another player. Ones you build yourself are for you to set up for others to use and what you will pay them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Okay, I'd skipped over the part about NPC trading stations.

So, where do those spawn? I've seen some people refer to the Moon -- is that a specific limitation? I'm resuming a survival game I've had going in Doctor Octoganapus's Perdiso System, a star system with custom worlds, so, will I not see them?

15. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@FoolishOwl they spawn everywhere. On one of my old save games (On an Earth like planet) I turned on the economy and 40Km away there is a NPC Trader. Did a few contracts found another one and that one had a contract to deliver to another trader that was two planets away from me. They can be in space as well not just planets and moons.

16. Sarekh Senior Engineer

They spawned for me correctly in space and on the surface in a completely custom world were I had modded planets placed manually. I was quite impressed by that.

17. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Huh. I haven't seen any spawn in, since I enabled the economy feature.

I was worried about the economy update in the abstract, but it sounds like they handled it well. I'm glad they finally put the factions to good use. I'm just disappointed I haven't seen the trading stations yet.

Update: They started turning up once I moved to an area I hadn't visited before. The stations are well done.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.