Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Embedding Objects in a Planet or Asteroid

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Spaceman Spiff, May 8, 2018.

1. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

Many survival scenarios have crashed ships embedded in a planet's surface. I'm trying to figure out how to reproduce that effect, but nothing I've tried seems to work. Furthermore, I'd like a station that I build and want to place on a planet to be oriented correctly with respect to gravity, but hitting "B" seems to knock it out of alignment. Perhaps it's the way I saved my blueprint, but I'm just not sure. So, rather than wasting any more time trying to noodle it out, I'm asking the pros from Dover...

Also, how do I simulate damaged blocks as for a crashed ship?

2. Roxette Junior Engineer

You can embed the ship into the surface by pasting it (control-V) and adjusting the position as desired. Gravity alignment should be correct with 'B' but if there is another grid close it will align to that... order of placement is thus important. Simulation of damaged blocks for a crash scenario is best achieved by pasting the ship above the surface and letting gravity make damage happen. It will probably take several iterations to get the level of damage you want. The damage detail is stored in the sandbox or blueprint files as a sequence :

<Skeleton>
    <BoneInfo>
    <BonePosition x="0" y="1" z="9" />
    <BoneOffset x="132" y="128" z="122" />
    </BoneInfo>
    <BoneInfo>
    <BonePosition x="3" y="2" z="9" />
    <BoneOffset x="126" y="131" z="113" />
    </BoneInfo>

and it is not easy to create a specific pattern of damage in a sane way by other means as far as I'm aware.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for the advice (I was wondering if anyone was going to reply). I found that I can only embed an object to about half a block’s depth. That makes me wonder how people have put objects several blocks below the surface. An example would be the legs on one of the “easy start” bases; they go several blocks belowground.

It never occurred to me to just spawn a ship (or whatever) above the planet’s surface and just let gravity do its thing.

4. Roxette Junior Engineer

In spectator mode, move your character/viewpoint below the surface, then you can paste structures in as deep as you like, and if necessary then use voxel hands to remove material around it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

I tried what you said, both as a player and as a spectator, and the game will not let me paste an object into a planet, i.e., I get the red bounding box showing, and the green bounding box only shows when the object is above the planet's surface. I tried moving, as a spectator, below the surface, but that didn't work. What am I doing wrong? (And, yes, "copy/paste" is active.)

6. Roxette Junior Engineer

I don't know... it sounds like you've checked the obvious things, but it works for me, the only time it refuses is if it is too close to another existing ship/structure or there is debris/loose objects in the way :/ ... is copy/paste enable set in the world settings? I've noticed some options in space master mode can work inconsistently if the corresponding game option setting conflicts.

7. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

Admittedly, I was trying to place the small assembly near a "crashed" ship...it was a powered LCD panel with instructions to the player, and I wanted the power source, a small-grid small reactor, to be buried (i.e., not obvious). That's probably why I couldn't place it.

Yes, copy/paste is set, but I neglected to check the options in space master mode. I'll check and let you know if I succeed.

8. Roxette Junior Engineer

It just needs to be clear of the 'bounding box' of the crashed ship, try moving away slowly until the outline changes to green :)

9. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

I've tried an entirely new place without success. I'm building a sort-of-like "Escape from Mars" scenario (although not nearly as cool) with a tunnel and a mine (ok, kids, find the alien artifact). Like EfM, I'd like to embed some small spotlights on some small reactors in the ceiling and walls of the mine, but I can't seem to get it to cooperate. I'm learning as I go, but the curve is steep! (And I haven't even tried to do anything with scripts, yet!)

10. Roxette Junior Engineer

You never mentioned the block size :D small blocks can't be placed in voxel material in the stock game, even in creative... fortunately there's a mod that allows you to do it simply - the mod would not need to be included in the final game/scenario, you only need it to place the parts initially.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=829337535

11. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

Strap me to a pig and roll me in the mud!! You're exactly right! I was able to stick a large-grid spotlight and battery into the ceiling, but not a small grid. It turns out that I'd already subscribed to that mod (probably from someone else's scenario, so I'll give it a spin! Thanks!!
    --- Automerge ---
    It worked perfectly. Thanks!

12. Calaban Apprentice Engineer

as for damage effects (Green venting reactors, lighting spark antennas) nothing works better than the trusty ol M-16

13. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

Yup, I figured that out on my own. A few plinks and it's either sparkin' or burnin'.

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Convert the ship to a static grid first. If you can't do it in-game then use SEToolbox. SET also lets you alter the build levels of individual blocks if I remember correctly. You can also adjust the inventories of blocks as well.

But it does need to be a static grid to be embedded into a voxel. I think they were trying to get that to work for small ship blocks but I don't think it ever worked out. Are you trying to do this with a small ship?

15. Calaban Apprentice Engineer

This makes me wonder how "Crashed ship ground encounters" spawns them half buried.. small grids and all..?

16. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

No, it was for a large-grid ship (I don't do a lot with small-grid stuff). I decided to "crash it" as suggested by Roxette...spawned it 150 meters above the planet's surface and let gravity do its work. Then I embedded a few components to add to the visual effect. All-in-all, it doesn't look too bad.

17. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I've done that to get the effect and then took a rifle to it for a little more intensity. Pics!

18. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

OK, pics. I've attached five of the crash site; two during daytime, and three during nighttime (it's more spectacular, if I do say so myself). The backstory is that I'm creating a "survival" scenario, but less about survival and more about completing a mission. I'm sending the player throughout the vanilla universe, so there are goals and situations that I'm trying to develop (inspired by Escape from Mars). I'll need to get some people's help for finishing the scenario because of some of the effects I'm trying to achieve. I'm doing as much "vanilla" as possible to reduce load times (some people's scenarios are so loaded with mods that it takes several minutes to load them; I'm trying to prevent that). So here's the crash site:

Here's a daytime view of the crash site. Most of the damage was from taking a dirtball ship I'd built during one of my own "survival" missions (i.e., just plopping myself in empty space and looting pods and/or hijacking the first ship that wanders by) and spawning it 150 meters above the alien planet surface. It took half a dozen tries to get the right amount of damage. I also located the damaged ship near a lot of ore deposits to "help" the player along. My expectation is that the player can figure out what's required to build an interplanetary ship.

[​IMG]
    The ship didn't come with a jump drive, so I embedded one in the ground as if it had come loose from the ship and damaged it a bit.

Here's a view from the opposite side. I embedded a small cargo container in the ground with a bunch of loot in it, but partially damaged.
    [​IMG]

Here are some nighttime views of the crash site...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This last pic highlights an LCD screen on the ground that gives the player information and GPS info to the next location in the scenario. The screen is at the bottom of the pic, just to the right of center.
    [​IMG]