Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Folder system for control panel.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Home, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Home Trainee Engineer

Hey, when I started and played the game again a few days ago I couldn't believe this is STILL not implemented. Or am I just not seeing this feature?

Managing anything is absolutely horrible, in small stations or ships you have hundreds of blocks, on larger ones thousands, also have fun if you connect your ships to your base...

This is such a basic feature and so much needed... Just implement it in the next patch please, imagine using PhotoShop without layer groups or Windows without folders.

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. mdram Apprentice Engineer

searches, groups, ect can be used for this

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Home Trainee Engineer

No, these things cannot be used for this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mdram Apprentice Engineer

sure can, just change the name

just add a description to the name
    like large cargo becomes large cargo - whatever

search for whatever, only items with that in name pop up

i do this alot

5. Martin R Wolfe Trainee Engineer

*Sigh* It is a pain. I end up having to use programmable blocks to do anything beyond the most simple utility ship. With PB you can at least narrow the search down by grid and relative location to the PB but even then on a large ship station it can still be a bit of a pain coding up as the blocks will also have to be named to narrow down the search.

6. Home Trainee Engineer

I do this all the time because otherwise the game would be completely unplayable. This workaround has 2 major problems: 1. I have to name / rename every block I place which is annoying, time consuming and increases the length of the names. 2. The control panel list remains unusable without the search function and if I want to seperate further I have to use more name codes and have to lengthen the names of the blocks even further. Also in case I don't plan perfectly ahead at the start, it can happen that I have to rename a lot of blocks.

Also I want to be able to scroll through my list / folders instead of type everything and remembering every name code I use.

7. Martin R Wolfe Trainee Engineer

One of the uses I make of a PB is to rename a large group of blocks in one go. That is also useful if a mistake is made in the naming scheme or if you want to change the scheme.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Home Trainee Engineer

Yea your tricks sound nice and useful, the problem is, unfortunately I have zero knowledge on programming so I rely more on base features.

9. Braethias Apprentice Engineer

Searching is different from folders and subgroups. I don't want to search for a subgroup of blocks, I want them to be in a folder. Currently I have to make them a block grouping and that puts them at the top. I'd rather have a folder grouping, like...

[Lights]
    - light 1
    - light 2
    [thrusters]
    - bunch of thrusters here
    [manufacturing]
    - refinery 1
    - assember 1

I mean, the blocks are already grouped in the blocklist menu.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Home Trainee Engineer

Groups are a joke anyway. Not only can I not hide them (Why not???), they also show up always at the top, destroying your naming system (why???) and they also ignore colors, so you can't directly see if they belong to a ship (and to which one) or to the station.

11. mdram Apprentice Engineer

i actually found a changed my mind on this
    but in a diff direction

a folder for each ship docked.

i dont think the color coding is enough

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.