Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Forum! I wish to brainstorm about these damn hounds if you would indulge me...

Discussion in 'General' started by Stormtrooper, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Stormtrooper Trainee Engineer

I spent yesterday surviving a now overrun earthlike - had mixed success..
    Basically I play star system from the planetary lander start.. I have had some issues dealing with these hounds, I have one strat I wish to share, and in exchange i was wondering what others do to deal with the menace:
    When I land, I'm very good at it, I coast along until I land on uranium, then make a sprawling frame of unfinished light armor blocks. with about 6 legs, each docked to the planet. The dogs run towards my lander perched upon the frame, and usually explode in the center of the frame 25m below my craft, making a nice crater for other dogs to dispose of themselves in. this works great, usually, but one in 20 dogs seems to stop at the edge of the frame, staring up at me, and then detonates one of the legs of the frame. I have planned for this - hence the structure has 6 legs, and I replace them as they get detonated. I have the inertial dampeners and gyroscopes on standby in case all 6 legs should be destroyed. It seems to work fairly well, as long as I follow all the steps described, and since I am very likely to be landed on some snowy uranium I have what I need to get started..
    Has anyone figured out a better or different way of staving off the hounds?

2. DuneD Junior Engineer

What I do is basically land in Magnesium instead of Uranium, then I proceed to remove all the legs, merge the lander to the ground, add an interior turret to each side of the lander and hounds stop being a problem :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stormtrooper Trainee Engineer

kind of rocky start? you need to survive making all 4 guns before you land or do you just shoot them with a rifle while you set up?

4. DuneD Junior Engineer

Rifle while setup, or just let them blow, the lander can take a few hits.

5. Renfield37 Trainee Engineer

Some good ideas in this thread. Using outcropping legs and pits sounds very effective. I previously made thread on how I approached the dog problem a week or so ago with the planetary lander. http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/where-my-dogs-at.7377577/ Take a look if your interested. I think there should be enough stock materials on the lander to create the welder fence I created. If not, i'm sure grinding down the landing gear will get you enough components for it. I haven't really tested the idea that much since I've been playing on mostly dogless servers recently. Give it a shot it might be better than using up your magnesium stocks on turret ammo. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Stormtrooper Trainee Engineer

nice welder skirt :D its a shame about that small flame war that happened in your thread, so needless.
    ok so my current run im sitting on an iron/nickle/cobalt mine and I have a simple merge post to the ground from the center, floating my lander 40m off the ground, i took off the landing gear and fitted interior turrets in their places, turrets completely stop the dogs, though now i need to spend time to make bullets, which is not the worst since I gathered most of the types of ore before I set up, I didnt land I just jetpacked around setting up the merges and turrets.The plan as of now is to set up a 2nd small reactor so I can take off and land on these merge posts. I wonder though, will the dogs seek out my merge posts while I'm not sitting on them - I'd like to set up a half dozen at all my marked mines for easy landing. The second reactor will let it fly regardless of how full my batteries are, got the parts cooking right now.. The batteries then become backup generation for if my rig runs out of refined uranium. The dogs actually are a nice resource, I think instead of having welders facing down, I can do drills so I can pick up some hydrogen while stomping on puppies. Put a stone pooper on the side maybe...

7. AdmObir Apprentice Engineer

A welder skirt seems like the best solution to the dogs. Once built, only real thing you have to do is make sure they are powered.

8. Renfield37 Trainee Engineer

That would be a lot of drills and probably result in a massive ore intake. The tonnage would probably inhibit your movement really quick too.

What I like to do sometimes on the dogless worlds is right-click drill a hole into the ground is use the resulting hole to park and settle my planetary lander. My drill rig consist of one bottom facing drill and an 11 conveyer extension. This is connected to the stone pooper and stuff like you mentioned. I use a camera and spotlights to watch the drill bore through the top layers of sediment with right-click, then switch to left-click when the detected veins of ore are visible. Uranium is hard as heck to see on the camera. I usually have to get out and inspect the hole to see where the vein for uranium is. Everything else shows up just fine through the camera feed.

I don't know, maybe you could make a hybrid welder fence curtain along with a one drill extension. I haven't tested this, but I probably will once I move to the alien planet.

9. Renfield37 Trainee Engineer

here's a depiction of what i'm referring to to give you a better idea of what I mean in the above post

the last pic I would be instantly vaporized had it been a survival world

also the little speeder ship is 5URG3's Hornet Interceptor from the workshop, I highly recommend it for dogfighting as its purely gatling gun ship. good for prolonged dogfighting

10. Wizlawz Master Engineer

11. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Perhaps a welder ramp would be a better option or even a hybrid of your first idea with welders integrated into the legs.

12. Renfield37 Trainee Engineer

I predict the ability to allocate mob spawns and the like will be added to shift-f10 menu at some time in the future. PVE is in its infancy right now so there will likely be more options to come.

13. nightwing28 Trainee Engineer

Not sure how good the dogs are at climbing over obstacles but couldn't you also just mine a deep ditch around your lander. The dogs would fall in before they get to you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Maegil Senior Engineer

They can't path (or jump) at all, but they can slide obliquely along an obstruction if the angle to you is less than 90ยบ. They can only climb what your character can while runnning.

15. BobbyHill Apprentice Engineer

You should have enough material to make an interior turret on the outside of your lander and300 roundsof ammo in cargo keep your lander off the ground with it covering you while you mine. Once you can get turrets on all sides merge your lander to a pillar that's at least 4 blocks high from the absolute bottom of your ship. Then you can roam around freely.

If your building a base you a a turret floatingabove the construction site.

16. Stormtrooper Trainee Engineer

Yeah seems like guns and escaping the planet were the option I went for. Costs about 20 clips per hour to shoot dogs, I built an extra few clips for four guns and built a hydrogen rocket under my lander and simply flew up into space

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.