Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Full cockpit - Need help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by JassBefrold, Dec 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. JassBefrold Trainee Engineer

Hello everyone,

I'm starting for the first time into modding and something I always wanted was to make a full made cockpit for SE. I drew a reference as a mod request several months ago: [​IMG]

Here a preview of where I am so far: [​IMG]

The cockpit won't be exactly like in the picture (that is probably 4 blocks large than 3) but now I have several problem I would like to fix before even thinking of adding more details, texturing or placing a seat:

-(1) For the life of me I can't find the astronauts model as .obj or FBX for 3dsmax. I've use the CTRL+ALT+E on a astronauts sitting on vanilla seat, but the .obj exported is ridiculously small in fact it is empty... .

-(2)I'm questioning myself if I could include vanilla small LCDs, seats and texture.

-(3)I think of adding a conveyor block under the cockpit for oxygen, but again, my biggest problem is to get those models out properly.

I've read multiple time that is hard to unpack a .mwm files and I'm overloaded with tutorial before the update saying they are outdated. I really don't know what to do... . Without those references I'll be working blind and I would like to avoid this as much as possible.

If anyone could direct me to where I could export those models, this would be dandy!

Thanks for reading.

Edit: On steam, by going to Library, tools and install Space Engineers SDK. In my case, it wasn't in there. I forced steam to install it through this link: https://steamdb.info/app/326880/history (Thanks to Sage to point this out for me)

I'll find the models in there.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JassBefrold Trainee Engineer

Okay now I have a VERY important question:
    Can I have multiple diffuse texture map or does Space Engineers accept ONLY one texture map per block mod?
    Because right now I have 3 textures map: One for the outside, one for for the inside and the last one for details.

Preview:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  3. mexpex Apprentice Engineer

Your are able to use several sets of textures/materials on one model

4. Takeshi Apprentice Engineer

but i think you have to splitt it, because one block can only have one seat-position.
    (i think)

Looks realy good, can i order a customized cockpit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Glockshna Trainee Engineer

Yeah please be sure to split it down the middle so that both seats work. Excellent work man! Impressive looking.

6. JassBefrold Trainee Engineer

And here it is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks guys. For other stuff inside the cockpit, it will be necessary to add new stuff on the front (for second seat, lights and LCDs). I cannot split it in two because this is a 3block by 2. Corridor is in the middle and seat are offset already.

I've got several problem here:

-Character seat animation at the wrong place. --> What should I do to place the character?

-I already fixed the black and white texture problem for the "fake" LCDS and buttons.

-The glass shader "TransparentMaterials" went wrong EVERY time I tried to use it. I removed it and I still don't know where I fucked up. Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118828191/Mods/TransparentMaterials.sbc

-There is some very weird hole, all around the cockpit from the inside where we can see through in space. I don't understand why it's happening. (PS: Fixed now apprently my model really had a weird move for a moment.)

-The collision is still square. I think, I need to turn the collision in Blender into Box rather than convex.

@Takeshi: Sorry, I already have many problem with just this cockpit I won't be able to do that kind of things.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  7. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

-for the glass to work the subtype id in the TransparentMaterial definition has to match the material name now (and remember you now need 2 faces for glass, one for outside and one for inside)

-for the character there is a easy way: instead of messing with animations/custom pose you can offset the cockpit in blender to match the characterpose position and export and than you use the <ModelOffset> tag in the block definition to move it back (ModelOffset moves the whole block including attached players)
    -alternatively you can try to add a dummy_character and a dummy_camera but i dont know if these work for cockpits (these are used in cryochamber which is derived from cockpit)
    you also need a dummy_head (if dummy_camera doesnt work) to define the eye position

• Like Like x 1
  8. JassBefrold Trainee Engineer

Thanks, So i have done what you said and few things show up.

-Most of the problem, when the model doesn't want to plop on site, was some incompatibility as "screen detector" coupled in a group with "cockpit detector". SE doesn't well at you for this in the .mwm

-For the collision problem: My collision mesh .fbx on 3dsmax need to be turn 180° with center block in the middle before being imported in blender to apply for an .HKT

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118828191/Mods/20161227093315_1.jpg

For the dummy, I need more than just Detector_character, there is attribute given to the dummy and I would need those information i believe. I have already placed Head and it work fine for that indeed, I used it from the vanilla cockpit model

It could really help if you got a working example of a transparentMaterials you use for exemple, please. I don't want to deal with the transparentMaterials of keens that is just a massive mess. Here what I have: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118828191/Mods/TransparentMaterials.sbc

Extra, here the details for the materials:
    <Material Name="CockpitGlassInside_section_1">
    <Parameter Name="SpecularIntensity">0</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="SpecularPower">0</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="DiffuseColorX">255</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="DiffuseColorY">255</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="DiffuseColorZ">255</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="Texture">Textures\Window_me.dds</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="Technique">GLASS</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="GlassMaterialCW">Hologram</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="GlassMaterialCCW">Hologram</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="GlassSmooth">False</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="NormalTexture" />
    </Material>
    <Material Name="CockpitGlassOutside_section_1">
    <Parameter Name="SpecularIntensity">0</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="SpecularPower">0</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="Texture">Textures\Window_me.dds</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="GlassMaterialCW">Hologram</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="GlassMaterialCCW">Hologram</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="GlassSmooth">False</Parameter>
    <Parameter Name="NormalTexture" />
    </Material>

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  9. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

detector_character was just an idea since cryo chamber derives from cockpit so i thought it might work for cockpits too, in the cryo it just defines the foot level of where the character spawns. You should probably just use the Offset trick i explained in a previous post to avoid messing with Animation stuff.

Glass Material definition looks like this now:

Model.xml
    Code:
      <Material Name="CryoChamberGlass">
        <Parameter Name="SpecularIntensity">0.9</Parameter>
        <Parameter Name="SpecularPower">7</Parameter>
      </Material>

TransparentMaterials.sbc
    Code:
    <TransparentMaterial>
          <Id>
            <TypeId>TransparentMaterialDefinition</TypeId>
            <SubtypeId>CryoChamberGlass</SubtypeId>
          </Id>      
          <AlphaMistingEnable>false</AlphaMistingEnable>
          <CanBeAffectedByOtherLights>false</CanBeAffectedByOtherLights>
          <Emissivity>0</Emissivity>
          <IgnoreDepth>false</IgnoreDepth>
          <SoftParticleDistanceScale>1000</SoftParticleDistanceScale>
          <Texture>Textures\Particles\CryoChamberGlass.dds</Texture>
          <UseAtlas>false</UseAtlas>
    	  <NeedSort>true</NeedSort>
          <UVOffset>
            <X>0</X>
            <Y>0</Y>
          </UVOffset>
          <UVSize>
            <X>1</X>
            <Y>1</Y>
          </UVSize>
    	  <Color>
            <X>0.08</X>
            <Y>0.44</Y>
    		<Z>0.44</Z>
    		<W>0.256</W>
          </Color>
    	  <Reflectivity>0.396</Reflectivity>
        </TransparentMaterial>

thats all, all that matters is the Material Name, this should be the same for the Blender Material name, the Subtype ID in TransparentMaterial definition and in Material xml. The Material name is pretty much a pointer to the subtypeid in your TransparentMaterials.sbc

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. JassBefrold Trainee Engineer

Thanks a lot again! Yeah It would have been too beautiful if this Dummy worked on the go, I was hoping for it. But I did use your offset trick. It was even harder for me because I had to re balance again the collission multiple time, since I work on 3dsmax mostly.

I still have a problem with that bloody windows. I can't get a better transparency for some strange reason
    Not really happy about the result tho, I wish to see that a little bit more transparent: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118828191/Mods/20161227134211_1.jpg

I'll fix that and give a preview of the main block ready! That says Thanks you guys for your help because holy cow this was a challenge for a full week of frustration on Space Engineers modding. I wouldn't be that far without all this help!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  11. Eikester Apprentice Engineer

<Color>
    <X>0.08</X>
    <Y>0.44</Y>
    <Z>0.44</Z>
    <W>0.256</W>
    </Color>

X Y Z defines the color (R G B)
    W controls opacity, 0 would be fully transparent, 1 would be fully opaque
    depends also on the alpha channel in your window texture, i dont know how exactly it works, i guess its some kind of multiplier, anyway to make it more transparent decrease the W value

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. JassBefrold Trainee Engineer

That says thanks a lot for your help Eikester, you really took me out of that mud pretty fast for that. I saw recently some of yours mods and they are pretty awesome

Yeah, that what I've been messing around for a while. For the texture, apparently You can directly have a blue picture and give a full black alpha, then control through the <W> control as you mention. If you let a bit of alpha in gray you put some kind of limit. So, officially the main block is finally done. I can focus on other block now that I have working example it shouldn't be a problem. I still have to find out the neutral color for the main block, the pure white nor pur black doesn't seems to work. Do we have to focus on gray? Here a preview, it seems as well that we can leave the cockpit, staying inside even with the door behind lock

[​IMG]

13. JassBefrold Trainee Engineer

Color fixed. The main block work. I installed the second seat with offset block. But GUESS what. The second seat INSIDE the cockpit block, doesn't work at all! Except if I place the second seat outside... . I'm getting frustrated and start to understand why people haven't made any two seat cockpit yet now...
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    Okay so, the biggest problem is:

One 3dsmax, in order to have the character USE the animation and post himself where he should, we need to have the seat of the cockpit block, close to the center X,Y,Z on the software (3dsmax). You keep this position when you export in .FBX . This same center seems to be AS WELL, the reason why we can interact we object. it's always around this center. When you place a detector such a clicking it to go there, it work as well for this reason.

In order, to try to put this detector (the second seat) AWAY from the cockpit block(Left seat and whole cockpit), I even created fake block to interact with them, out of the cockpit range. It doesn't work at all, cause they are too far from the center, which is the seat. I'm still trying to see what could I do but it seems really pointless at this point. If anyone has any idea, I would love to hear it. I'm going to try to see how the reffinery manage to have its detector working. I believe only conveyor detector work but we cannot interact with them.

To resume: Because second seat center detector(right seat) is inside the first cockpit block area (left seat and whole cockpit), it doesn't trigger at all.
    View of the second seat block:
    [​IMG]

Video exemple of the problem:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  14. Syrikzero- Trainee Engineer

You could always make the cockpit modular where you place separate seats, or two separate blocks in this case.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  15. [KOR]Orc Trainee Engineer

awesome !!!

i need you!!!!

16. kitsunelegendXx Trainee Engineer

Hows this mod coming along? I have some plans that need cockpits just like this, and this mod would be perfect and honestly, one of a kind. :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.