Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Functioning 8 Legged Walker

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by catkiller69, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. catkiller69 Trainee Engineer

This is an 8 legged walker using motors to spin the legs. It uses a 5kg rock for it to be affected by gravity. The downsides with the vehicle is that it is quite slow (It's called a walker for a reason) and when the gravitational force is too low, the vehicle will start to tilt backwards. If the movement of all the legs is in sync, the vehicle will perform much better. (I've gotten it up to 8 m/s) It can traverse terrain quite well. (The map has a few barriers to test this out) I would really like to see somebody improve this design or find something that is much more effective. I found that creating wheels is not very effective because they seem to take too much damage.

***If you plan on using the vehicle, you must have inertia dampeners OFF for it to work.

Steam workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201423764

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. priley764 Trainee Engineer

Wow that's pretty creative....AND AWESOME! :D

3. Admiral Yuki Apprentice Engineer

4. Praesumo Apprentice Engineer

Yea I tried making a car, and it would constantly do backflips from the torque. If I turned off the dampers it would have been worse. Guess I needed to afix some rock to it like you did. Good job!

5. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

I tried a car too. I had a rock on it and it was just doing back flips (guessing my design was top heavy) I abandoned the idea too fast maybe.

Love the walker btw :cool:

6. Mac D Junior Engineer

Awesome design and concept.

I expect we will start seeing plenty more interesting things created with motor blocks over the next weeks.

I was thinking trying making things like cams and crank pins/linkages. Try and get a mechanical jaw moving up and down on that giant mechanical space shark someone suggested weeks ago.

Eventually, we could need some rubber blocks and or little (maybe rubber wheels/bearings) to minimise the damage when blocks contact each other at low velocities.

You need some rubber feet on your walker.

Did you try landing gear on the feet/legs? (I think they have some minor shock absorbing properties).

7. uamadman Trainee Engineer

Only have top thrusters and leave inertia dampening on.

8. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

Nah, it was due to motors. For some reason on small ships it applies equal torque to both sides. What I did with my "car" was have a counter-spin for every "active" wheel. Basically a set of motors with just 1 block on them spinning in the opposite direction.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.