Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Game gets incredibly slow after 5-20 minutes

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Derek Lewis, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Derek Lewis Trainee Engineer

Hi folks,

I've been playing Space Engineers, and it runs like butter, for a while. After anywhere from 5-20 minutes of playing, the framerate drops from the 60 FPS frame limiter to 5-10 FPS. It's completely unplayable at that point. If I don't move around, or look around, the framerate climbs back up to 60 again, but as long as I try to do anything, it's horrible.

I have a Logitech G15 keyboard with an FPS graph on the display, so I can tell that it stays at 60 FPS normally. If I disable vsync it sits at 120 FPS steady, so presumably something in the game is hard-limiting the framerate to that.

After the problem has happenes, quicksaving, completely exiting, relaunching the game, and reloading the save fixes it, for 5-20 minutes. I saw on one thread a mention of the Shift-F11 debug info, so I've taken some screenshots of that in various situations. I've put them all on one image:

[​IMG]

From left-to-right:
    1. Moving the mouse around after the problem happened
    2. Moving the mouse around after the problem happened (same thing as #1 for good measure)
    3. Stopped moving around
    4. After restarting the game and reloading the save

For reference, my machine specs:
    QuadCore Intel Core i7-4770K
    Asus Z87-Pro motherboard
    16GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (6 GB)
    Samsung 840 SSD (512 GB)

With those specs, obviously I shouldn't be having any problems.

Is anyone else experiencing this same thing? If there's other information I can provide to help diagnose this, let me know.

2. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

It sounds like a v-sync bug. Make a bug report and include both SpaceEngineers.log and VRageRender-DirectX11.log, please.

3. Derek Lewis Trainee Engineer

Hey CptTwinkie,

I realized my explanation was missing one thing, which would have made it look like a v-sync bug. Unfortunately, the problem I was describing happens whether I have v-sync enabled or not. The difference is only in whether it runs at 60 or 120 FPS until the problem happens. Either way, the problem still seems to happen anywhere from 5-20 minutes in to playing. I'll still log a bus report though.

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit, I forgot to mention.

4. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

Well that probably won't be as easy for us to track down but it's not the first time I've heard of a bug like this. Does it happen in every world? If you have a specific world that is worse than the others you could include that.

5. Derek Lewis Trainee Engineer

6. Derek Lewis Trainee Engineer

I've been able to confirm that this is happening in another world too, before I even built anything. I just loaded up and flew around a planet a bit (with foliage disabled) and after about 20 minutes, the framerate tanked. Really frustrating. Is there anything I can do to help debug this?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.