Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Game won't start.

Discussion in 'General' started by Brent Kerman, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Brent Kerman Trainee Engineer

Space engineers crashes every time I try start it. I've reverted versions, reinstalled DirectX, tried every trick I've found on forums (although most are years old). This is the log:
    And before anyone asks, yes, I ran dxdiag, I have DX 12.

2. Malware Master Engineer

It fails trying to initialize audio. Did you check your audio drivers?

If you can't find any solution, report at support.keenswh.com

3. Brent Kerman Trainee Engineer

I did note it seemed audio related, but it persists no matter what audio device (speakers, Bluetooth, ect) is used, and audio is working fine in other programs. Not sure how I'd check the drivers for either speakers or my Bluetooth headset.
    --- Automerge ---
    I checked every sound related driver Windows had. Every single one is up-to-date. It seems to be a DirectX related issue, which is built into Windows 10.

4. Sentinel-Ghost Apprentice Engineer

I have often found that even if Windows SAYS a driver is up to date, its not always actually true. Sometimes drivers can get corrupted as well.

First off, have you unplugged everything audio related, speakers/mic/headphones, then loaded up Space Engineers to see if the problem persists?

Have you tired reinstalling the Windows Update? :
    1. Open Settings.
    2. Click Update & security.
    3. Click on Windows Update.
    4. Click the Check of updates button to trigger an update check, which will redownload and install the update automatically again.
    5. Click the Restart Now button to complete the task.

5. zachusaman Trainee Engineer

Funny enough I had a similar issue at my job regarding the audio drivers due to a recent Windows update causing the audio drivers to break random things (for us it was the battery status, touchpad, and keyboard).

Our solution was to restart, then the user would be prompted to re-enable the driver which solved the issue, which hopefully should fix your issues. If not I would go around in sound settings and see if anything is disabled or looks wrong. From there I would then remove every audio device, see if it works and then add them back one by one.

Below I bolded what I think is the relevant parts of this issue. The notable thing to me is that it took 15 seconds to fail which means that it probably started something, and that something froze up right away and Windows did its "lets wait 15 seconds to see if anything changed" thing.

2019-06-11 23:05:08.706 - Thread: 1 -> MyAudio.LoadData - START
    2019-06-11 23:05:22.769 - Thread: 1 -> Exception occured: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException (0x80004005): External component has thrown an exception.
    at SharpDX.Utilities.CoCreateInstance(Guid rclsid, IntPtr pUnkOuter, CLSCTX dwClsContext, Guid riid, IntPtr& comObject)
    at SharpDX.XAudio2.XAudio2..ctor(XAudio2Flags flags, ProcessorSpecifier processorSpecifier, XAudio2Version requestedVersion)
    at VRage.Audio.MyXAudio2.StartEngine()
    at VRage.Audio.MyXAudio2.LoadData(MyAudioInitParams initParams, ListReader`1 sounds, ListReader`1 effects)
    at VRage.Audio.MyAudio.LoadData(MyAudioInitParams initParams, ListReader`1 sounds, ListReader`1 effects)
    at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.LoadData()
    at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.Initialize()
    at Sandbox.MySandboxGame.Run(Boolean customRenderLoop, Action disposeSplashScreen)
    at SpaceEngineers.MyProgram.Main(String[] args)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Windows 10 is famous for having issues with Audio drivers. There are several people that I know they can no longer use Surround sound after a recent Windows 10 Update. So as stated above your best bet is to go in and see if something is set as disabled, remove and reinstall as well.

Edit-typo correction

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brent Kerman Trainee Engineer

Thank you all for your suggestions, unfortunately none of them worked.
    I've been checking for updates, and Windows is up to date.
    I unplugged everything audio but the screen, problem persists.
    I disabled every audio device the computer has, problem persists. (Although I think it failed quicker then.)
    I've restarted my computer a lot, problem persists.
    I reported it on the website, got canned response.