1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Gamepad support HAHAHAHAHA

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Alan Grimes, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Alan Grimes

Alan Grimes Trainee Engineer

• Thread in wrong section
    Steam has taken it upon themselves to break every game in my library that needs gamepad support. This is a general problem that will kill Steam as a platform for gaming in pretty short order...

But that's not what's funny. What's funny is that the Steam-botched up gamepad support for Space Engineers is to bypass the game's gamepad support and map the gamepad to keyboard input. This is a limited approach because the controls in this game need to be analog, but yeah, it's a stunning vote in favor of the notion that SE's built-in gamepad support is currently broken and must be bypassed.

While I hate steam with a passion as of about a week and a half ago, this is yet more evidence of how badly Keen has screwed up with gamepad support.

2. hippybaker

hippybaker Trainee Engineer

You're like... Mr GrumpyHead today

I'm not sure what country you're in.... But here in Canada, we can smoke weed.
    That always helps me when I'm grumpy :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Or pet a kitty. That can soothe the savage beast.

4. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

You said it yourself:
    So why are you pissed at Keen when you clearly stated it was Steam's fault? :)

5. Stardriver907

Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Wait... SE has gamepad support?

6. Alan Grimes

Yeah, and with version 1.192 and earlier it was actually good too!!

7. Malware

Malware Master Engineer

I think you'll find that a lot of people will disagree with you about how good it was... :p

Anyway, the gamepad support is still under development in relation to the XBox version. It's not in its finished state yet.

Although given how many controls SE has I have a hard time imagining it will ever actually be very good. Poor XBox folks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alan Grimes

Let's put it this way: the old controls did not drive me away from the game, they didn't even make me spend any time complaining about them. Furthermore, I think I am owed the option to go back to the controls SE 1.0 had. =|

9. Roxette

Roxette Senior Engineer

Wait... people still use gamepads on real computers?

10. Stardriver907

Wait... people use gamepads on real computers?

11. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

People still use computers? lol

12. Stardriver907

I will say this, though. The Xbox controller works surprisingly well for me. Mostly for movement. When it comes to building, though, I end up using the keyboard and even the mouse. With the controller, when you want to place a block you have to scroll through a menu to find the part, then you have to scroll through a menu to get the variant you want. It's bad enough with vanilla stuff, but if you have mods all that scrolling can take forever. That is unfortunately what Xbox users will be stuck with unless they plug in a keyboard and mouse. Of course, they won't have to deal with finding mods cause Micro$oft ;).

Moving around, though, whether on foot or in a vehicle/vessel, Xbox controller rules because it has TWO JOYSTICKS AND EVERYTHING YOU HAVE EVER FLOWN IN SPACE ENGINEERS HAS TWO JOYSTICKS but the game does not support EVEN ONE what's up with that, KEEN?

I'm actually pleased that SE supports the Xbox controller because it's a good controller. An Elite controller could solve some of the issues if a person really wants to do everything with a controller. In fact, you can even get a keyboard that plugs right into any Xbox controller so you can enter key commands without letting go. I'd say the Xbox controller is better for PC users than Xbox users :D.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.