Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Getting players on a server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by davesoft, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

Assuming the game is stable over long periods when multiplayer is Enabled, and that Joining a server can be done without the host needing to be at the keyboard, some of us will be happy to leave our computers running while we sleep/work... what would you do to get people into your server!

I already see some people with nice clan names, very industrious and professional sounding words and even nice pictures along with them.

Who will be the first to build a prison around the starting location? If it is a fixed position at all.
    Perhaps the 'grief filter' that we all desire could be built in-game, using abilities we already have once Survival is fully Enabled.

Who out there is also crazy enough to leave their computer running overnight? And how will you endeavour to theme your little public universe? :D

2. Mishka Junior Engineer

i have 2 high spec servers and a 80mbps connection, im going to be hosting several servers myself once released :D, no idea how i will draw people to them other than them having active admin and a good community

3. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

I'm sure there will be sites to advertise servers by voting for best, some games do anyway. But I would bet that a good server will pull in a lot of players by just "word of mouth". Youtube videos I bet if done right would bring in lot of players. The key is to make sure they stay and want to come back.

4. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

Awesome! Glad to see we have some electricity-burners in the crowd :D

I wonder if 32bit clients will be able to connect to 64bit servers... spidersense says no, but wizard's beard says whynot... cloudy the future is

5. jimbobslimbob Trainee Engineer

I too, have a server that will be hosting this. I also host a Mumble (VOIP) and website server too ;)

6. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

Im in Australia and Im looking at hosting depending on how the dedicated server side is supported.
    Wouldn't it be nice if there VRAGE.2 engine could use 2x8 core CPU's server with 64GIGS of RAM ,32GIGS for each CPU when running in dedicated server mode. Smooth gaming there !

7. Kirakira Trainee Engineer

I used to host minecraft servers with much enthusiasm and dedication, though times have been tough and I've moved around a bit and currently do not have the same connectivity that I had before. Should I manage to find myself with a better income I could get back onto a dedicated high-speed service with blistering upload speeds...

Since it's wishful thinking at the moment, I'd gladly just join my friend's server instead - if I can make them love SE enough to host it.

8. Morbophobie Apprentice Engineer

I had an idea but I don´t know if it would work. Would it be possible to make a peer-to-peer network a server?
    Then you wouldn´t need a real server and no host. That would mean it could be possible to make an official server without hosting of KeenSWH is needed. That would mean that they don´t have to pay for the upkeep of the server and so the player don´t have to pay monthly charges, but one big world like in eve would be possible. Only without monthly costs.
    And I think the more player on one server the more fun it would be. Because then big factions are possible which means diplomatics and realy big wars.

If you could make the programm to use the connected pc as one server I think it would be possible. And if more players are connected more computing power of the server is needed and because there are more players connected more computing power is available, so the server would be dynamic and offers always as much power as needed.

... If it works.

I´m not a programmer so I don´t know if this would be possible, but if it was... it would be so great!

(I added it to this forum because it´s about servers I know it´s a bit offtopic)

9. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

If you plowed under a cornfield to build it....

They will come...

10. davesoft Apprentice Engineer

In a game more centered around 1 Official ship, that is a very nice idea. Space Engineers is more centered around a region of space and what we fill it with :D

Something like an FTL MMO would be nice cloudable, using the Explore and Exploit metaphor for connecting and PvPing.

Still aint free though, there'll always be server costs unless it's truly client-to-client with only a basic IRC service to connect them.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.