1. The forum will be closing soon permanently. Please read the announcement here

Note: User registration has been closed. We do not accept any new accounts.

"Gilliganophobia" - why players wont help newbies

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Calaban, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

"A Fear of Gilligan" you know, from Gilligan's Island.

Its a player who may not know what he is doing very well, or actually an experienced player just trolling somebody... But the end result is:

"oops did that just blow up?"
    "oops.. did I do that?"
    "Wow! sorry about your base"
    "umm what mining ship?"
    "Leaving beacon on at 50km was a bad thing??"

.. and so on.

Making survival in the already harsh Keen Net code environment all that much worse. And few of us have the patience of the Skipper.

This is why, in case you new players were wondering, everyone gives you a cold shoulder when you ask to team up with someone. Its not because we're all rude, or snobby...

.. we're all afraid you may end up being a Gilligan among all the stuff we have spent hours on. Or even worse: a Gilligan-Troll, acting up intentionally.. for laughs.

I don't have a solution for new players looking for a mentor/teammate.. other than making a faction and requesting peace with someone detected nearby, and "ease into" a relation with that other player.. towards an eventual team up.

2. System Error Message

System Error Message Trainee Engineer

Advice for new player, spend an hour on tutorials, self testing and such. The bugs in dedicated server makes it worse as I'm constantly telling people what not to do because of bugs

3. Ronin1973

Ronin1973 Master Engineer

"How do I (fill in the blank)?"

People will jump into multiplayer without even learning the game first. Then they will spam other players for help. I'm not talking just one question, but multiple questions down to even piloting a lander... AS they are piloting. Then they will complain that the respawn time is too long after they've made a nice big crater on one of your planets. Then they are off to another server as they don't feel like waiting around or learning the game properly.

It's just irksome and means someone has to go and clean up their mess. It would be nice to be able to set a minimum number of hours of play to join a server. Me, personally, I would require at least 100 hours of game time to play. That sounds like a lot. But you really don't get the FULL hang of things without that much time invested IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robotnik V

Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

What about the people that mostly play SE while offline? Steam doesn't record offline time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. System Error Message

you know leaving the beacon on at 50KM isnt a bad thing, its a good thing. Its the antenna that uses a lot of power at that range. 1 solar panel is enough for a 50KM beacon.

6. daveroeuk

daveroeuk Trainee Engineer

his point about the beacon is that other players find you easy and then take your stuff/blow up your base.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. JasonG

JasonG Trainee Engineer

I think for the sake of Space Engineers continuing to grow, we veterans need to help neewbs when we can, dont show them your base just give them uranium and iron, tell them how to do stuff and be patient. after you are friends for a while you know if they will be bad to show your base or not. Also I call it island syndrome, where no one trusts any one(you better be espeacially carefull about trusting admins) had my stuff recked for being too good many times by admins.

8. System Error Message

The whole point of multiplayer is to play together. You can have public stations where players can just dock, share resources and also teach each other. Distrust just leads to everyone going into their own corner and makes the game stale.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JasonG

JasonG Trainee Engineer

show me that any one has succesfully had a community space station on a public server? I havent seen it. griefers and trolls are nonstop online

10. System Error Message

not on a public server, i never play on public servers, only group locked dedicated server.

11. Syncaidius

Syncaidius Junior Engineer

Sadly this happens in almost every sandbox game that exists...

Without any kind of ownership/block protection, there's no way to stop it. Public PVP rarely works because everyone just kills on sight, friendly or not. At the same time, its hard to trust anyone in PVP so its safer to just kill on sight too.

I've had it in the past where someone will ask to join my faction (sometimes nicely!), spawn at our base, then proceed to mess things up or steal items.

Much of the time, its not the raw newbies doing it either. Most of them don't know they can grind down your reactor and take your stuff (assuming they even know ow to grind at all). It's usually players who've played long enough to know a few "tricks" to grief people with.

12. Udrakan

Udrakan Apprentice Engineer

What I hate when teaching new players SE or generaly any game or anything is that many of them ask stupid questions, and by stupid I mean logicaly stupid, not new player stuff (which is OK). For example, we land on a lake, player goes out of the lander, walks around. "So is this uhhh, like real water?" While flying I turn 90° towards ground and let player know that we have enough momentum to keep us going forward, and main thrusters will push us down so we land faster, then we do it. "So If I turn like that, I won't fall?" I usualy explain it patiently, but I eventualy loose patience and explain why that question was stupid. Me:"I don't know, can you walk on water in real life?" He:"I don't know?". Or in the 2nd example - Me: "No, you will fall and explode if you turn like we just did" few seconds of silence He: "Hm... that sucks."

13. JasonG

JasonG Trainee Engineer

Lol, yeah I feel it, we play a game where most players have square boxes for a base and square or phallic space ship

14. Udrakan

Udrakan Apprentice Engineer

Today's catch "Server sim speed slows the game down so server can manage to send everybody correct info when there is alot of stuff. Right now it's 1.0 so we are moving at 100% speed." ... 10 sec silence "100% speed? Wow that's pretty fast." I wanted him to be ironic. He wasn't.

15. NoThanks

NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

It's hard to sort out who the newbs are and who the n00bs are (Those of you who are old enough will understand the distinction, since they have become one and the same over the years somehow... Bonus points to anyone who knows where "n00b" actually comes from) I always try and help the gilligans out there. The hapless upstarts who genuinely have no idea what they are doing... if they appear too green I always tell them: "You should probably go watch some tutorials, and play SP to get acquainted with how things work, because this game has a fairly steep learning curve... Also never use pistons/rotors." But few have the patience for that. Either way I will try and help out anyone with questions when/if I can answer them but yeah.... some people spawn in with out the slightest clue how to play... Fine for some games, not so much for one like this.

But the griefers.. Oh man, the ones that apply to every faction, join the first one that accepts, then immediately starts building warheads on every single grid they can find, watching hard work fall to pieces and go up in smoke, only to lamely spit out some excuse about how they didn't do it/wasn't their fault. These people are terrorists, and must be treated like the bottom dwelling, scum sucking, non testes having, gangrenous, invalid wretches that they are, and destroyed with slightly more prejudice than one would deal with cockroaches, which are without a doubt a step up on the evolutionary ladder.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. System Error Message

thanks to the save backup feature, such a thing no longer matters. All i would have to do is revort to an older save and ban the culprit. If you dont own the server you should tell the server admin/owner.

17. NoThanks

NoThanks Apprentice Engineer

I keep a very close eye on my server as a general rule. I'm a griefer-nazi. And it's a rented server, as for back up saves.. what's the point in a persistent world if you just reload it when something goes wrong? I tend to only pull that trick if some unreasonable game glitch messes things up.

18. Ambaire

Ambaire Trainee Engineer

And this is the #1 reason why I just work my way up from a spawn ship despite people asking if I want to join their faction or whatever. Got about 200 hours in the game so far, 100% of that has been solo.

The only reason I play multiplayer is to check out the mods they have going.

19. MrDoctorDIV

MrDoctorDIV Apprentice Engineer

I've both played servers and run servers and I can attest to the Gilligan's existence and life as the reason I don't let in newbs. I do merge with factions at times, but that's after seeing their chat and how they function. If you can somehow grab at least one partner and play actively on a server it really helps with being able to join groups.

20. Sabre One

Sabre One Trainee Engineer

The issue is taking on a true new player is a massive resource suck on your overall faction/asset health. I tried it 3 times and every time the players always taken more out of my faction then brought in.

I get accidents happen, and stuff explodes
    I get you don't understand certain concepts of the game.

What I don't get is why your not helping me collect resources and just standing there watching me work. A factions overall growth should be a constant flow unless outside influence such as warfare, raid, ect.

21. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

I have been accused of being "rude" or at the least "paranoid" when I encounter a new lander on the surface (its beacon still blaring away), fly up, say Hi, and drop off some Uranium ingots- then fly off- but remain coldly silent when that guy asks "so wheres YOUR base?"

I'm. Not. Telling.

Sorry, genuine new guy, but all such magnanimous openness was burned out of me a few dozen times too many. Sure, it IS rather unfair that I have your landing spot GPS'd but you don't have mine.. but.. well... [shrug] Tough. Stop transmitting ASAP upon spawning, New Guy.

Or say another player finds my base, and sets up nearby, and is actually friendly/cooperative. He wants to faction up with me, but I reply "make a faction of your own and request peace with mine- we can be friendly and cooperative that way" ... then the alarm bells Klang out when he says "but I want to share resources/be able to control all your ships n stuff...." [ok- exaggerated for point]. At peace is as close as I'm willing to get. and there will be "Batman contingency measures" setup in case things turn sour.

So... am I Rude? Paranoid? Maybe. but this game in multiplayer has a meta resource I guess I could call "Time investment". The Time it took to scrape resources together to build that darn jump drive by. my. self. is now IMPORTANT to me, because I don't WANT that chunk of time and effort to be WASTED. And no. I don't want to share/risk that. Its the "ohh.. that was my ENTIRE Tuesday to make that" that hurts so much in this "Just a Game"

If it gets destroyed/lost... I want.. no- need it to be at least My. Own. Fault. ....OR genuine PvP [fair play]... or Keen's- I can live with that(mostly). Adding another entity eligible to bring it all to ruin is of no interest to me.

If the majority of other experienced MP players are of the same general outlook.. the community is going to feel rather.. cold. Thus the point of explaining my/our issues and reasons in this discussion :)

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.