Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Greatly reduced performance in 1.025

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Deadlock989, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. officerdangling Trainee Engineer

2. mrdave Trainee Engineer

For the lag issue
    Go to

SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\SpaceEngineers\Bin64
    find the SpaceEngineers aplication (.exe file) then right click, select properties then go to the compatibility tab and select "run this program as administrator". Click Apply.

NOTE I found this by blind luck and determination to the game after submitting two log reports. You CAN do this too

hope it works for you :)

3. Vero Apprentice Engineer

anyone wanna confirm these?? i'll try them in a moment, am just curious if this worked for anyone else

and lets hope this indicates where the problem is for the dev team

4. Stoner Apprentice Engineer

mrdave's fails. I've always run as Administrator. Starts fast (after the 01.025.020 update), then degrades to unplayable 25 FPS

5. Vero Apprentice Engineer

and how about officerdanglings? i'm about to go get some air (is a lie i am going to go have a smoke) and will test danglings when i come back inside, but please feel free to give it a try and then post your findings. thank you

6. Zemaus Apprentice Engineer

IT worked surprisingly. I never turned audio back on so it may vary. YAY IPODS

7. Vero Apprentice Engineer

interesting.. i'll give it a try now

8. mrdave Trainee Engineer

only other thing I may have changed was on the Nvidia settings:
    NVIDIA Control Panel: Configure Surround, Physix
    I think my settings where on "CPU" so I changed it to "Auto-select (recomended)"

Just thought I would mention this as I've noticed the number of problems with GTX models and possibly the GForce experience software I downloaded for my GTX680.

9. Bohdan Trainee Engineer

I tried mrdaves fix,worked like a charm for me

10. Vero Apprentice Engineer

officerdanglings fix works.. it works so well so i think the problem is the lag updater is conflicting with the sound rendering

that also might be why mrdave's fix worked too because he changed his surround settings

so there we go we found the problem.. its the sound rendering conflicting with the updater

11. Bohdan Trainee Engineer

I didn't try the surround fix,I tried his run as admin fix. Heading back in now,if my lag updater does start increasing as stoner says then I'll try the sound fix.

edit: typo :eek

12. ☆ G ☆ S ☆ L ☆ Trainee Engineer

Unfortunately, neither of these worked for me. Running as Admin, on its own, had no effect, nor did disabling audio playback devices. The latter of the two did seem to improve Update lag initially, but after keying my jetpack and zipping around inside an asteroid briefly, the lag began spiking into the 300-500 range again.

On a maybe/maybe not related note, I've discovered that reducing my resolution to 1280x720 (16x9) from 1920x1080 (16x9) and to NORMAL from HIGH, simultaneously, has exhibited a surprisingly negligible increase in performance, ~3-10fps depending on circumstances.

My system is far from strong, but it feels like I should have noticed more of a boost than that. The difference between 1080 and 720, when running ULTRA, is night and day (ULTRA crushes my system, as does the higher res, as I would expect them to).

I'm trying to find a comfortable resolution/quality setting that befits my currently-somewhat-gimped hardware, but I'm wondering if I've picked a crap time to do so, considering the game's present circumstances and not knowing precisely what's causing what, performance-wise.

My hardware, for whatever it's worth:

AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE (Callisto) 3.1GHz

MSI 870A-G54 AM3 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

8GB (4x2GB) Crucial DDR3 1066

MSI Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 32MB cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

Windows 7 x64

As I noted, far from strong (but within the game's stated requirements). Would the community say that my performance, ~20-30 fps @ 1280x720 NORMAL when looking at anything other than skybox, is right about where it should be? Is my quest to attain better than 30fps at a reasonable resolution a fool's journey?

Edit: Adding screenshot:

[​IMG]

That's with all audio playback devices disabled.

13. MrPaintdry Trainee Engineer

Mrdave's fix worked for me. ran as admin

14. Bohdan Trainee Engineer

it worked for me for about an hour,then spiked. the spike coincided with the update that was just released not sure if that caused the spike up to 3-500 ms range in the update lag,heading in now to see if the new update fixes it permanently. *Crosses fingers*

15. Stoner Apprentice Engineer

officerdangling's solution worked for me. Been playing over an hour and no physics lag. Buy that man a beer.

16. Vero Apprentice Engineer

so i've been playing for awhile with danglings fix but it seems as soon as the update came out all **** hit the fan.. but lets test this update with sound enabled and see if it works.. gimme about 15 minutes

17. Ondrej.Petrzilka Developer

Hi, there's new update 01.025.021, can someone confirm that issue still persists?

18. Yanoda Trainee Engineer

I have tested all of the recommendations for the fixes. I have Windows 7 Professional running.
    - Running the game as administrator (recommended by mrdave) did not fix the issue for me.
    - Disabling the playback devices (recommended by officerdangling) did fix the issue.
    - I had the PhysX settings (recommended by mrdave) as "Auto-select (recommended)", so this did not have any effect.

I found another fix that worked for me though.
    Go to:
    • SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\SpaceEngineers\Bin64
    • Find the SpaceEngineers aplication (.exe file) then right click.
    • Select properties.
    • Go to the compatibility tab.
    • Enable "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)".
    • Click Apply.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
    Reverted all the changes I applied previously, it seems to work for me now. THANKS!

Cheers

Yanoda

19. Vero Apprentice Engineer

the patch that was just released seems to be working but needs more testing

however lets give a big thank you to the dev team whose working so hard to fix the problem

THANK YOU!! <3 :3

20. Deadlock989 Apprentice Engineer

Seems much better. Might even be better now than it was before Thursday, not sure. Generally not getting Update Lag spikes of more than 20ms (compared to the 800ms with .010, and the 150ms ones with .020). Occasionally little jerks when new objects are brought into view, bigger spikes when colliding or mining but that's same as before.

21. Vero Apprentice Engineer

omg! this is much much better.. seems they've totally fixed the issue.. i was able to go from playing normal settings to extreme settings without any issue at all :D big big big thanks to the devs on this one

time to build stuff >:3

22. officerdangling Trainee Engineer

my issues are gone as well. so far so good

23. mrdave Trainee Engineer

Thank you dev team for the quick response! All settings are back and the game runs like a dream, even alt-tab doesn't brake the game, as Vero says time to build :)

24. HOSLAYER Trainee Engineer

Just tried again after most recent update, starts out smooth and then gets laggy after a few minutes! It's still not fixed.

25. Ondrej.Petrzilka Developer

Can you please press SHIFT+F11 when it's laggy, make a screenshot and post it here? I'll take a look at it.
    Thank you!

26. HOSLAYER Trainee Engineer

I ran as admin in the from the exe file and now seems to work just fine!

Thanks for the support & great game devs!

27. ☆ G ☆ S ☆ L ☆ Trainee Engineer

Things are definitely a lot better now.

However, I think I may have noticed that my performance (fps, at least) is even better in a multiplayer instance hosted by someone other than myself which I have joined, as opposed to the same map (crashed red ship) running offline on my system.

Is this even possible? Maybe through offloading some of the computation onto someone else? I have no clue, that was strictly supposition.

Either way, the game is much more playable now than it was previous to the latest update, so kudos to the devs for the quick thinking.

28. rustlemyjimmies Trainee Engineer

im looking at the game right now on my steam and im not seeing a 01.025.021 and only 01.025.020

29. Stoner Apprentice Engineer

01.025.021 seems to be working well for me. I am running withe the sound on. Running as Administrator, which is my habit. About 44 FPS, but very smooth. No physics lag problems noted.

@rustlemyjimmies: I also use Steam and it updated automatically to 01.025.21 for me.

Again, KSH devs show why they are the best. As Marek explained in his GDC2013 session, he expects his team to be dedicated to the players. They are.

30. Cruz Trainee Engineer

The performance died! haha

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.