Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Grief provention

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by cyber_lis, May 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. cyber_lis Trainee Engineer

Would developers make private zones? It would be very cool. And dedicated server would be very good too

2. Maltier Apprentice Engineer

Private zones? It's space the only way you should be able to claim space is if you can protect it. Dedicated servers are on the way, and are talked about alot

3. JamesL86 Senior Engineer

I would not be so hasty to put down the idea of protected area Maltier. You'll find that a large contingent of the forum members simply want to build in peace.

4. Maltier Apprentice Engineer

Make it a friends only game that is how to fix it

5. OneAmongOthers Apprentice Engineer

Sigh... Private games. Play with friends. Or get SETool box and move your asteroid off grid. You realize its a 50x50x50km grid right?

Move a couple asteroids farr off and don't turn on your beacons. You have almost no chance of being found.

6. JamesL86 Senior Engineer

What of dedicated servers? Surely it would be a good idea to give admins the ability to designate safe zones just like those present in pretty much every other MP sandbox and open world game.

7. Draygo Senior Engineer

A small indestructible area that can only be modified by admins would be a good idea.

But it has to be small.

8. JamesL86 Senior Engineer

The way I see it working is in this safe area, weapons do not fire and anything fired into the area is made to disappear. For the homemade weapons, yes have anything in the area be indestructible. I'd think a cube of space, 1000 meters on a side would suffice and have only one of these areas be creatable for the entire server. This was its big enough to encompass player ships that might be coming to a trade station but with the ability to create only one area, this should grossly limit the admins ability to take advantage of this tool. Sometimes you have to protect yourself from shitty admins as much as from griefers.

9. Tiger313 Apprentice Engineer

Nothing further to add, other than prEvention is spelled with an E not an O. Just saying. ;)

10. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

You don't have to stay in the spawn sector either, you can use setoolbox to locate asteroids 100,000klms away and your ships, and you can play out there with no fear of ever being found. Increases net-lag though.

11. Maltier Apprentice Engineer

I think that there shouldn't be a safezone in general, i mean think about it their should always be a risk factor into everything, either set it to private, change spawning ship, or do something. What I do when I'm in game is I make a check on new players, save the game, and see if they try and grief. Most times they do, but if your in survival it's kinda okay because then you get another ship to get parts from. Just saying. If your in creative, I'd ask why you even have a ship to start in.

12. Cobra Commander Trainee Engineer

couldn't a joining player simply suicide and respawn at the nearest medbay?

13. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

A safe area would allow us to turn off the free resources known as starter ships, since an indestructible refinery and assembler would mean you don't need 200 refineries and assemblers floating around every public server.

14. Maltier Apprentice Engineer

You know, I think that is the only legitimate reason why we could allow a safezone

15. kerenskylegacy Apprentice Engineer

+1

Building in peace on a public server is lame. Stop whining and go on a private server.

16. Neouni Apprentice Engineer

You only respawn at a medical bay you placed (or ship you spawned in), since it's tied to your userid

And it needs to be above the threshold and powered

17. TheDrgnRbrn Trainee Engineer

Seems like we need more backend support for multiplayer before any of this actually becomes an issue.

If you are worried about it so much, play on private or friends only. Playing with random strangers means you will be playing with people who want to break your stuff.

18. OrangeAaron Apprentice Engineer

Yes, we must provent grief at all costs. We should start a provention campaign.

Use spell check... provention isn't even a word, it's spelled prevention.

19. beringtom Trainee Engineer

would love the ability to mark an intire zone (50x50x50) and then implement jumpdrives to other sectors, just like they do it in Eve Online ;) High-sec and Low-sec.

20. Slyph27 Trainee Engineer

Use a creative map, and SEtoolbox to make a starter ship rigged with decoys and explosives, when new players join, give them fair warning to avoid your station/ships, have Large ship guns set up to defend. I've been toying with this for a couple days to find a fair ship design to get people started, while not oversized when trying to conceal the decoys and explosives that would need to be hidden in the front of the ship to destroy the griefer before they can ram you. Then you can go ahead and just kick them after they blow up.

21. Wanderduene Apprentice Engineer

I think administrable safe zones would be great for public multiplayer servers :thumb:

22. Schoelm Trainee Engineer

I think in future it will be like in Minerwars 2081, every time you reach the boundary of one sector there was a short loading screen and after that you where in the next sector. ;)

But jumpdrive would be awesome! "Jump to sector X, Y; Z" :D

In my opinion we need safezones, or the possibility to claim "land". How should I construct a ship for fight, if people keep destroying my construction sites?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.