Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Griefers :(

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Kielm, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kielm Junior Engineer

So I hosted a game for the last couple of days.

This evening for some reason there was a sudden rush of griefers, that seemed to just want to crash their starter ships into the station that maybe eight people had created over two days.

Such a pointless waste, I don't know why people do it. Never mind eh!

The next game I host will not have starter ships!

P.S. Apologies to anyone who played in my game but the suicide griefers destroyed everything - there was no point in continuing.

2. Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

Booby trap starter ships. Fun times.

3. Wombats Junior Engineer

Surround your station with a heavy armor cage; ships can crash into it all they want but they won't damage the station.

4. Draygo Senior Engineer

delete the starter ships. they are often too risky to leave

5. Kielm Junior Engineer

How do I disable the starter ships without restarting the game? Is that even possible?

Thanks for your responses!

6. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

Without restarting - no, not possible.

7. Kielm Junior Engineer

Just to clarify, I meant 'starting the game again from scratch'.

There's no setting that can be toggled in-game or file that can be edited to do this?

8. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

Oh, then just set starting ship to like one block (or empty if you can find how) and overwrite file (there's a guide how to change respawn ship in steam guides), but I meant you will need to restart server, not the whole progress ingame. Sorry if I misled you.

9. Kielm Junior Engineer

I think I got it.

So the Respawn ship (and initial spawn ship) is in a data file at Steam\SteamApps\common\SpaceEngineers\Content\Data\Prefabs\RespawnShip.sbc

I can use SEToolbox to replace this with a slightly less griefy ship.

I'll try this when I next have a chance. Thanks for your help!

10. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

dont whine its a part of the game

11. Zethariel Trainee Engineer

Only a griefer could say that :)

12. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

SE is an sandbox ;)

13. Zethariel Trainee Engineer

Minecraft is a sandbox too.

Usually, Minecraft administrators ban the living s%!t out of griefers.

When something is being persistently banned across many instances of the same game, you can suspect it is undesirable, and thus "not part of the game"

14. Ozwart Trainee Engineer

And usually the goal of a sandbox is build what you want and tansform the world like you want.
    Sandbox game arent about destroying what other people build and killing their fun.

There is already a plenty of game that let people grief like age of conan and what happen to those games..... they die because nobody like seeing he s game time turn to crap because of a few asshole.

15. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

im an eve player ... so I have an other opinion

I dont talk with carebears.

16. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

Eve doesn't have build custom things part.

17. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

eve is a much bigger sandbox than se

18. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

It's not sandbox. It's MMORPG.

19. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

Nope, its an mmorpg-sandbox.

20. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

by your logic, any mmorpg is sandbox, but it's not so.

21. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

No.
    WoW isnt a sandbox.
    Eve is a sandbox.

22. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

I hate how the word 'sandbox' is being misused nowadays. Eve is an 'open world' game, not a sandbox. Same with Star Citizen. They call it a sandbox too, it is not. Can I just start over in a new world from scratch anytime I want? No? Then it's not a sandbox. That's the point of sandbox. Free to create, destroy, do whatever, then able to reset it all again. KSP is another example of a sandbox game, as is Minecraft.

That aside, the only real solution is to make your game private or 'friends' only. Not ideal, but better than giving griefers free access.

23. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

You saved me trouble of explaining sandboxes.

And I think best antigrief in near future will be turrets+lower maximum travel speed

24. Kielm Junior Engineer

Well, that conversation went on a bit of a tangent.

I used the advice here to modify the starting/respawn ship, unfortunately it seems you need a cockpit at least, so my current solution is for new players to spawn in an immovable cockpit. Not ideal but hey ho!

If people want to blow up their own stuff that's fine, but my server, my rules. I don't see why a small group of people that haven't grown out of the mentality of smashing other kids' sandcastles should be able to ruin the enjoyment of others, so I'll do anything the game lets me to prevent it.

As it is I save the game whenever a new player joins and don't accept new players at all in peak times- these are the only preventative measures I can use at the moment.

Thanks for your help though, this should save a little trouble (and debris!) :)

25. Zethariel Trainee Engineer

Kielm, I think that an immovable cockpit might be troublesome if a few people spawn in the same place :/

Belittling players for caring for one another. No wonder our society isn't moving forward!

26. Kielm Junior Engineer

Good point. Maybe I could give it a small velocity too :)

27. Zethariel Trainee Engineer

Good idea! Perhaps in the direction moving AWAY from the centre of the playfield :3 That way the wreckage will be easy to identify and clean up later with the SE save edit tools

28. wankerstein Apprentice Engineer

Do you really think that's what 'carebear' means?

29. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Such 2D mind. Carebear is someone that ruins the fun of the game because they don't want to stand up to the challenge.

What OP is reporting here is a griefer, someone who just do things, with no reason, provocation or necessity. Even in EVE are rules, if you go shooting everyone everywhere, the chances are that you will get plunked soon.

30. JamesL86 Senior Engineer

If this is the case, that means everyone that wants shields and super-heavy weapons because they can't take the time to properly design a good ship and good weapons is also a carebear. In fact anyone that complains about anything not being handed to them on a platter fits this description in my book.

Not directed at you LFC but the original dumbass you quoted. :)

To the OP however, my public starter ships are literally a cockpit attached to a beacon and a reactor with an initial velocity of 1 m/s. This way not only do they not have the ability to ram anything but I can also find exactly where they are on the map if its someone who doesn't want to play by the server rules.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.