Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Halloween Update 1.184.6 - Skin Crafting & Ghost Skin

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by flexx, Oct 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

I can't even load my currently main game. I have a large barge with a Nanite Factory (mentioned as a problem earlier) in the middle of it and the game just crashes during loading the old save. So until there is a work around I'm screwed.

On the subject of being screwed - Why the hell have you increased the damage potential of engines again without any warning prior to the FIX. Did you learn nothing from debacle with Welders? Or do Keen just enjoy fucking with their customers for giggles?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

maybe they just despise players behind able to cover thrusters in armor and want to ruin their fun?
    Geezs theres really some murder and tearful leavings going on in the youtube comment section.
    hopefully in the future if SE does finish you'll see smug asf players in glowing space suits from halloween 2017....
    or... :/ there could be a glowing skeleton on a dead unfinished game. that's one grim alternative

3. ZinuxGamer Trainee Engineer

anyone have problems with jump drives? they only jump '1km' since the latest update :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. gordon861 Apprentice Engineer

Well w4stedspace has just posted something that I thought I'd read but couldn't be bothered to search for.
    I'm sorry I really love this game but Keen just appear shambolic with their development processes, we constantly get old bugs creeping back into the game months after they were thought crushed forever, or they make decisions that seem to make no sense whatsoever (e.g. welder range/damage) and then when they start to sound like they are getting on top of things ... BANG they bugger it up again.

I suppose we should think ourselves lucky, most people seem to still be able to get into the game. The next MAJOR that they wanted to release as the anniversary patch must be in a really bad state and working so badly that even Keen spotted the bugs with it before they pushed it out.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ondřej Nahálka QA Lead Staff

Hey guys,

thanks for your reports.

Checking the Nanite and Industrial Cockpits mods. These mods can cause the game crashes. We are going to fix it.

We are also aware of an issue with the jump drive on DS. It will be fixed.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

WHy?...

Did anyone ever complain that the thruster damage range wasn't large enough?...

I would be okay with it if thrusters where squares instead of round, so that i would'nt have 4 gaps around it, in my Heavy Juggernaut ship heavy armor...

Gaps where anyone can slip through and just penetrate inside my ship without even having a sweat...

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Logi Apprentice Engineer

For the love of Space Engineers, STOP. THE. HYPE.

It's great you are spending all the time you need before major update but you are turning it into a massive disappointment for many even if it was more than you have teased in the past. Some people will expect huge multiplayer update, some people will expect huge stability update, some people will expect huge survival update, some people will expect huge content update, etc.

More communication about the nature of the updates and less mysterious "can't wait to show it to you" kind of messages, please.

I'm not even going to start about the skins, I'll gladly buy a stupid skin (which doesn't fit in the theme of the game at all) just to support the development, once I get that magical major update and it turns out to be as big as you have hyped it to be.

Anyway, happy 4th anniversary and thanks for the continued support of the game :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

Keen becoming the Keen one more time... Well, ok. Random change without estimation of consequences done by some random dev. I'm almost used to it.

Also, on my opinion, this is premature optimization.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. Goomboss Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]
    >pay for exclusive skins
    Honesty, I don't see anything good from this update. And a lot of people look more and more deluded, if you read the YouTube comment section...
    I don't know, this game has the potential to become the best game ever made, but... Cmon... Those updates are fuel for competitors.

• Agree Agree x 6
  10. Innoble Apprentice Engineer

I had exactly the same error as the guy from the Nanite mod. I was accessing some Sandbox.ModApi.Ingame stuff and I had to change that to Sandbox.ModApi. Not sure why it happened with this patch, but I could no longer access the ingame interface (to be precise, in my case it was the RadioAntenna).

Making this change solved the whole problem. Because I was using the ingame interface during the adding of terminal controls, my issue appeared related to terminal controls. The other guy also has this problem during the adding of terminal controls. It might have the same cause.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. KissSh0t Master Engineer

"This next update is seriously exciting, with some pretty huge changes"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. rexxar Senior Engineer

Hey guys, the mod crashes are related to some underlying work for the upcoming ModAPI overhaul. Basically my original change made it in, but later additions to it didn't. The crash itself is already fixed, and we'll push a hotfix tomorrow.
    --- Automerge ---
    Yes, the problem is using Ingame interfaces with the terminal system. You can change it right now to fix it, or wait until tomorrow when we fix the underlying system so that it accepts both types.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. RelicSage Trainee Engineer

Well how about that... thruster damage being rework completely destroyed all my designs since Catwalks and Glass are now being damaged and causing deformations. I hate to stop using a feature but it's meant to be. Thruster damage update was kind of a surprise and I understand the need to reduce calculations, however I cannot be flying around is ships showing off their conveyers that's just plain rude LOL.

Very well keen you've won this round, I will stop using thruster damage and play in a unrealistic world of space :(.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Salty Trainee Engineer

So there are some directions to rename some files, but what do we do for a server if we want to play tonight?

15. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

though on Rexxar's stream people were like "omg where did the halfblock go" and of course he knew,so he rotated through the category and was like "nope they're still there". then people were like "no *facepalm* from the menu" and he was like "oh,people didn't like the separate icon so we removed it".

• Informative Informative x 3
  16. Phattty3 Trainee Engineer

• Late Late x 1
  17. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

2017 - the year where everthing is a teaser. "you won't beleive what happens next! xyz isn't who you think they are! tune in 4 months from now to find out more!!1!".
    on the other hand, maybe it's just me but Space Engineers events aren't as exciting as they used to be. I remember waiting for planets and stuff,haha.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Phattty3 Trainee Engineer

All Aboard the Hype Train! Unfortunately Southern Rail has taken over as the new transport provider. Due to strikes over pay and driverless trains we may not be departing until.... somepoint in november. We do apologise for the inconvenience. Xocliw will hopefully be back in the drivers seat on a major release video soon enough. Please... the sooner the better my tyres are going to pop if i hold this hype burnout

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

Skins:

I really don't get the hate from the Youtube thread.

I know there was some backlash against skins in the first place (which I don't really understand, because models were already modable, I used to like playing with the deer headed astronaut), but I don't get all the talk about 'microtransactions'.
    I can understand not liking 'pay to win', but that's not the case here - the only thing Keen has introduced is cosmetic items, which are pretty common for Steam games.
    Has there been some major money spending development in another game that I'm not aware of or something? Is there some reason for the youtube people to be so hateful towards cosmetics?
    I don't agree with the skin not being available in game through normal skin acquisition, but I also understand that the money has to come from somewhere.

Personally I like the skins, they gave me a reason to actually try survival for a change.

Skin reuse system:

I like this, it's a good addition that I wasn't expected to be added but I'm glad it was.
    As I said before, I'm in the aparent minority that likes skins.

Thrusters:

For the thruster update, I can understand how that would upset people, but being a programmer I also know how much easier it is to calculate bounding box collisions than it is to calculate cylindrical collisions.

As far as I can see the options are as thus:
    * Make the bounding boxes smaller so that most thruster effects still work (acceptable compromise, but not very realistic).
    * Use a capsule for the thruster bounds instead (still expensive, but maybe less so than a cyllinder)
    * Put them back to how they were (will please most people, but will get complaints about worse perfomance afterwards)

I must admit though, I find it funny how people are always complaining about performance, then something was done to improve performance and people complain about it upsetting their ship designs.

• Agree Agree x 8
  20. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

sperg level 12/10. they just need to chill the hell out and fix their ships.
    thruster expectation is that blocks in front of it get roasted, now they perform as expected.
    every little change gets people triggered, it's really annoying.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  21. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

Funny, I didn't see any threads asking for it to be removed, nor anything in the patch notes either. If anything, I'd make half-blocks separate to normal blocks entirely since it takes ages to scroll through all the options with the mouse wheel- give them their own icon again with more options for shapes ( corner piece ).

• Agree Agree x 7
  22. farrell1701 Trainee Engineer

AutoMcD, the reason you're seeing a lot of people "not chill" about updates like this is because either 1) we enjoy the game and we want to see it do well, or 2) are directly impacted by the change after investing a lot of time and effort in a personal creation. I'm sure the devs tend to feel the same way when we carry on about a feature change, or how DaVinci would have felt after having someone scribble all over his illustrations and designs. Not all of us play the game the same way, so I'm sorry if you feel we're losing our cool over nothing, but we're just as much paying patrons of SE as you are, and I feel everyone's voice deserves to be heard when it comes to how these updates impact them.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. VigotheDudepathian Trainee Engineer

Good deal on the large area burn for thrusters, the heat coming off a hydrogen thruster would be INSANE, I mean liik at a launch pad desigs and before/after shots and you will see. I think a good thing to do now is to add a RCS thruster that uses compressed air for thrust and does no damage but also very little thrust. Hydrogen should be more in the booster/launch engine category and therefore should be pretty dangerous and rapidly burn up fuel as they do. Need to make there be a reason to go to planets and make hydrogen about the only way to escape the grav well but keep hydrogen hard to use long term as a thrust source. I like the seperation of vehicle types this would enable and feel that wings need to be made vanilla as well as the reentry mechanics several mods already take care of. I guess reentry should be left out as I feel 500ms is the speed required for that mod to work very well. 300ms+ and youa re burning up and drag becomes a major issue over 100ms, so it would be very difficult to get a ship fast enough in atmo to overheat while making reentry velocity and ship design something to worry about. No more flying bricks with no regard to aerodynamics. People want to complain about not having to "engineer" anything, there you go.

Also I love the skins, HAPPY to support KSH and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. Kinda glad the decision was made to push the update back to allow more dev time on it.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. sunofplunder Trainee Engineer

I'm going to throw this out there in support of the above Keen. By increasing the size of the BURN grid from a CIRCLE (Green above) of the THRUSTER exhaust size to a SQUARE (Red, which is bigger than the circle, aka bigger than the exhaust) size of the GRID block (not the thruster nozzle size) is not ideal, especially with everyone saying that this now will break any surrounding blocks that would normally be safe from thruster damage. TO MAKE IT SHORT, all block damage enabled worlds will turn into ship oblivion space.

I support that the damage area size should be closer to the current nozzle size (by ALSO not changing the nozzle physical size just to justify the new damage area), by following the square damage area proposed above to be inside the (previous) green circle area that we were used to.

Oh, and just to bring back some history, the thrusters were already changed without noticed earlier this year in patch [01.172] by increasing the grid length of the thruster damage. Remember the reactions from that?
    https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/0...ion-thruster-damage-distance-doubled.7392761/

As someone who has dealt with the coding world, circle areas are definitely harder to calculate within a set parameter space, especially when said circle is smaller than the max grid block. But why make it the FULL square grid block? Would it be just as calculation heavy if the circle was turned into a square of the same relative area (right side diagram above)?

Now with this change, you pretty much have limited the ability of all players and users to build nice projects because the single most necessary/required block for ships was changed TWICE in 1 year.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Pharap Apprentice Engineer

@sunofplunder
    I'm not agreeing to the rage about the thruster distance damage (this is the first I've heard of it, I never noticed at the time),
    but I am agreeing with the circle-box (or rather cylinder-cuboid) thing, it seems like a very sensible solution.
    Also the fact you're acknowledging that Keen's "fix" would indeed boost performance like they said.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Jackattack2604 Trainee Engineer

Now I'm experiencing and issue with 1st person and fighter cockpits with the player model showing the side of the helmet when accelerating.

Also the crash from the mods like the nanite factory made by tyris was already in the game before the Halloween update. The logs look similar from my memory.

27. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Another thing worth noting is that landing pads no longer benefit from being multiple layers thick since all blocks in thruster range are damaged concurrently. This kind of removes a bit of depth (heh) from the game IMO. I'm really not liking this change at all. :/

• Agree Agree x 6
  28. DrEarlInsanity Trainee Engineer

whiplash... seeing someone like you say what ya just have here is lovely. this burn modification is a repeat of keen's previous fixings of things that already work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. I23I7 ME Tester Staff

Alright,

Once more into the fray.

It seems that some of you are screaming about thruster changes that were in SP for some time. DS did not have thruster damage for about half year. I understand that taking advantage of a exploit is a fun but it was still a issue that had to be fixed. Sorry for some botching some the designs but we have to move forward and to do that we will inevitably break some builds.

However i will look into blast doors being immune because to my knowledge they always were a should be immune to have the ability to build landing pads.

Do not take this personally as we are trying to find fixes that will solve our issues and cater to the community.

As for the crashes and issue withe Jumpdrive on DS we are aware about this and working on the Hotfix already.

I23I7

• Disagree x 9
    • Like x 4
    • Friendly x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  30. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Good sir, I thought we had a sandbox game at hand, calling this an exploit is a bit of a stretch. We can discuss the area of effect all we want - but causing thruster plumes to damage stuff underneath armour for example is not an exploit fix. This whole decision has not been a game design decision but a dev decision in order to make computation easier.

• Agree Agree x 9
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.