Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Having Trouble with Dedicated server / Dynamic IP / DNS

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by WeirderChimp53, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

Hey so im new to the forums so sorry if this thread isnt in the correct place.

Anyways im trying to start a space engineers dedicated server. i know ive port forwarded the ports successfully but my server still wont run, on the website it said the dedicated server wont work with a dynamic public ip's which i have and my isp cant change. so my question is will my server work if i get a DNS for my public ip for example my server ip would be: my.spaceengineers.server.com:27016

Thanks ~Scott

2. Das_Hag Trainee Engineer

You will need to Use Dynamic DNS in order to be able to use a name (Like stated above) that will always point to you real Address despite if it changes.
    Once that is working then you just need to Forward the ports to the Local PC IP (192.168.x.x / 10.x.x.x / 172.16.x.x) and make sure the firewall on the local machine allows data through.

to test Dynamic DNS open CMD Prompt and type: 'nslookup "domain.com" and see if the ip it returns is your current Global ip address (Use google and type my ip to find out your global address)

3. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

Ok thank you for the reply. i have port forwarded the ports and my server pc has a local static ip. just making sure that a DNS (or dynamic DNS) will work before pay for one. Thanks ~Scott

4. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

ALSO, just to make sure, if i try to run a dedicated server (all ports correctly port forwarded and my LOCAL ip being static but my Public ip being dynamic) and check if the ports are open while the server is running it should return that the ports are closed(because my dynamic public ip)? this is normal?

5. Das_Hag Trainee Engineer

No, a dynamic IP just means that your address doesnt stay the same forever, for example if you restart your router.

when everything is setup it should report that the port is open.

6. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

Umm. ok well i know my ports are forwarded correctly cause i temporarily set up a different game server(not space engineers) with the same ports and it said they where open but when my space engineers server is running with those ports it said that they are closed. and yes my public ip does change when i restart my router but my pc's local ip is static and always stays at 192.168.1.251.

Here is a image of the screen i have http://puu.sh/lz69N/fa5745d717.png i don't see any logs this is the only window i see, which i assume its running the server in the background cause it says "running".

~Scott

7. Das_Hag Trainee Engineer

Try changing the IP from 192.168.1.251 to > 0.0.0.0 (This listens to any related information despite where it comes from)

Other than that, nothing stands out to me from what i see

8. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

Yes i tried 0.0.0.0 and same result, i did forward the udp and tcp port idk if that make any difference its just generally what i do. but im assuming because i have a dynamic public IP that's is whats causing the server to not work since they said on the server part of their website that it only works with a static IP.

Anyways thanks for the help ~Scott

9. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

Servers will work regardless whether your public IP being dynamic or static. You just need to make sure you are forwarding and opening the correct ports. A dynamic DNS service is not required.

So, not only do you need to forward the port to the server, but also a port for Steam: 8766.
    Enable for both TCP/UDP to be sure.

If hosting multiple servers, the Steam Port is editable in the server's config file.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

OK so i did not know that i have to forward the steam ports thanks, i have now successfully forwarded the port 8766 aswell. but still no luck and both ports 8766 and 27016 are closed when the server is running

here are my last 2 logs from the connection_log_27016.txt file in my logs folder:

[2015-11-27 12:50:58] Log session started
    [2015-11-27 12:50:58] [0,0] SetSteamID( [A:1:0:0] )
    [2015-11-27 12:50:58] [1,2] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelLow, 162.254.193.46:27018, UDP)
    [2015-11-27 12:50:59] [1,2] ConnectionCompleted() (103.10.125.17:27018, UDP)
    [2015-11-27 12:50:59] [1,2] RecvMsgClientLogOnResponse() : [A:1:3477099521:6103] 'OK'
    [2015-11-27 12:53:26] [3,2] LogOff()
    [2015-11-27 12:53:26] [2,2] AsyncDisconnect()

[2015-11-27 12:53:42] Log session started
    [2015-11-27 12:53:42] [0,0] SetSteamID( [A:1:0:0] )
    [2015-11-27 12:53:42] [1,2] Connect() starting connection (eNetQOSLevelLow, 162.254.195.44:27017, UDP)
    [2015-11-27 12:53:43] [1,2] ConnectionCompleted() (103.10.125.16:27019, UDP)
    [2015-11-27 12:53:43] [1,2] RecvMsgClientLogOnResponse() : [A:1:3519427591:6103] 'OK'
    [2015-11-27 13:16:39] [3,2] LogOff()
    [2015-11-27 13:16:39] [2,2] AsyncDisconnect()

NOTE: none of those ip address are my current public IP, i dont know what they are

Also here is an image of the ports i know i have successfully port forwarded: http://puu.sh/lAgj8/eb050b04c7.png
    the port 27091 was the port i was going to use but it didn't work so i started using the base port 27016

also on the wiki is said this
    "If you intend to run a game that people from all over the Internet can connect to, you will need a static public IP address. Your internet service provider should tell you whether you have one or not. Without the static IP address, you will be able to host a dedicated server on your LAN, but people from outside the LAN won’t be able to connect to it."
    but i don't see my server on lan either.

Thanks for the help i hope i can get this issue resolved :/ ~Scott

11. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

Alright, are you able to determine your public IP address? Because you can tell your SE server to specifically listen on that IP. By default it should be listening to 0.0.0.0, which means all network interfaces, even self-local.

You can try two things: Set it to listen to its own local IP (192.168.1.251 by the looks of it), and if that doesn't do anything, try to set it to listen to your public IP. Since your IP is dynamic, we'll hope it doesn't have to be configured like this.

Is this being hosted off a dedicated PC, or your personal computer that you are also playing the game from? Since this is being hosted off a true dedicated machine, then you can find the DMZ settings in your router, and expose the IP of that machine to the internet. This is weed out whether this is a port forwarding issue or something else, because I am not certain.

P.S.: Because your provider has you set up with dynamic, your IP changes when your modem/router next restarts or looses power. Thus you will need to update any possible configuration you've made. I believe that is what the Wiki is trying to explain. I personally have a semi-dynamic IP setting from my internet provider, meaning it will stay static unless my modem disconnects for longer than ~30 minutes, and I run two SE servers off my personal home server.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  12. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

Ok so i know my current public ip (it resets when i restart my router btw) and tried to put in in the "Listen Ip" field in my server. server wont even start, says "start pending" then stops.
    i have also tried multiple times with my local ip(192.168.1.251) and nothing/same result.

Yes the pc im using is a dedicated pc and im not playing the game on it, both the pc and my bandwidth should be easily good enough to run a space engineers server. i don't want to use DMZ because i shouldn't have to and that can be risky to the machine.
    As i said before i know the ports have been forwarded correctly, because i tested all of them (27091, 27016, 8766) running a different game's server and they all are open.

i might just add that i have verified my game files multiple times and always validate successfully.

~Scott

13. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

Yes, the log from the DS would tell you what happens, and I bet it's because it can't bind to that IP - this is "normal" in fact. Speaking of logs, could you start the server with listen IP set to 0.0.0.0 and then paste the log from it? And then can you do the same with listen IP set to its local IP? I really need to see what the logs might say about this.

And yes, this is not a file validation problem. It's a configuration problem somewhere.
    If that machine is truly dedicated, and no one is using it for other than hosting an SE server, I recommend setting it to DMZ. Give it a try at least and see if it'll show up at all.

14. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

ok so i just tried it with dmz host enabled on my local server ip (192.168.1.251) and no difference as i expected. im starting to think that this software is just a broken mess. i have never had anywhere near this much trouble running a server before :/
    ~Scott

15. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

Alright. Having given a few suggestions, I've assumed all along you've also opened/allowed the necessary ports through the machine's own firewall?

16. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

yes i turned the fire wall off and dont have anti virus software blocking it

17. Quizen Trainee Engineer

Hello,

I think I've got the exact same problem as you, a completely fresh install of Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows firewall disabled, and put in DMZ, still wont be able to connect. I'm able to connect with a LAN computer when I'm not inside the DMZ, but still no one outside of my network can connect.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

Do you have a dynamic public ip or static Quizen?

19. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

I assume you've hosted other game servers off the same machine before?

You could be having a loop-back issue. Did you reboot the server after placing it in the DMZ? I assume your server has been given a static local IP, since you've set DMZ on it, yes?

20. Quizen Trainee Engineer

Yes, on both. After all this, I tried setting up a CSGO server, just to se if I was going crazy. And it worked on first try, (using same ports as Space Engineers dedicated) everyone being able to connect, even though they are not on my LAN.

21. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

Are you hosting anything else when trying to run your SE server?

22. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

Moredice, i haven't had my dedicated PC for long and only recently got a new modem and much faster internet plan i also haven't run a space engineers server before so i though it would be a good chance to test the pc and net with Space Engineers, but i have tested with another game server on the pc with the same router since SE wasn't working (to make sure all port where forwarded, firewall wasn't causing problems etc) and it was all running correctly it just seems to be space engineers, i have been running plenty of server before this though and generally know what im doing.
    ~Scott

23. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

Alright. I honestly can't say for certain why it's not letting you host an SE server. Like I said, my connection is a dynamic one too, even though I rarely see power outages or internet outages that cause my IP to change.
    Do the logs indicate a problem when you try to run your server?

Also, just to be clear, does your modem has built-in router functionality, or do you have a separate router connected to the modem?

Edit:
    To share my setup, I have the following:

• Separate modem and router, the modem has no routing capability of its own.
    • Cabled connection to my server, which is a Windows Server 2008 R2.
    • The server has a static IP, and it's been set as the DMZ target.
    • The server hosts two SE servers for me;
    • Survival Server, listen IP 0.0.0.0, game port 27026, steam port 8766.
    • Creative Server, listen IP 0.0.0.0, game port 27027, steam port 8767.

Both are visible in both LAN and public in the in-game server list, but only through public in the Steam Servers browser. I am able to connect to them both locally and publicly from the in-game server list.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  24. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

The Logs in my Log Folder in PprgramFiles(x86)>Steam>SteamApps>Common>SpaceEngineers>DeticatedServer64>Logs ? connections_log_27016.txt hasn't been updated with new logs for like hours after i restarted the server multiply times.

The latest Log in my ProgramData>SpaceEngineersDeticated>TestServer Folder seems to have nothing that stands out to me.
    Bind IP: is my local static ip with the correct port.
    Public IP: is my current Dynamic IP.
    there is only one error: "ERROR:Camera entity from checkpoint does not exist!"

EDIT: i dont know what you mean by build in router Functionality. its a router with multiple PC/Devices plugged in, it doesn't have a separate router also plugged in tho

25. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

Is a Windows Server 2008 R2 Mandatory? in not using that im just running the .exe

26. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

The one in the ProgramData folder is the one I was asking for, yes. Alright, nothing that stands out in that log then that may indicate a problem I assume.

What I mean by built-in router functionality, is that some modems have only 2 ports to plug ethernet cables into; one is where you plug the cable from your wall outlet, and the other will be plugged into a router or a computer - these modems do not have router functionality.
    Modems with built-in routing normally have 5 ports: one is for the wall outlet, the other 4 are for computers or other devices.

If your modem has routing capability, and you've additionally added another router plugged into your modem, you're going to have port/firewall issues between the modem's routing and the other router, depending heavily how they've been set up.

No. I'm just hosting more than SE servers off my personal server. What OS is on your dedicated machine?

27. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

Windows 10, 64 bit, i7-4790 16 GB ram

28. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

And that's your dedicated machine? That's not the same computer you're also playing SE from?

29. WeirderChimp53 Trainee Engineer

Correct, only thing its running right now is SE Server, i have my main PC for playing games

30. Moredice Apprentice Engineer

OK. Did you say you had opened the correct ports in that machine's firewall? Or had you disabled its firewall completely?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.