Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Heavy 'armored' wheels

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by TheDeinonychus, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TheDeinonychus Trainee Engineer

The latest update to wheels, allowing them to be replaced without needing to grind down the suspension, is great! However, it still seems to me that wheels are not as tough as they appear. What I mean is, I keep seeing videos of people driving their rovers over crevasses and cliffs, landing with apparently no real damage to their wheels. But it still seems that when I try to go over even moderate bumps or hills, my wheels break off like they were held on with masking tape.

Now I know this could have something to do with the way my rovers are built, but you would think that the same wheels would be just as resilient on one rover as they are on the next. And there are already a few mods on the workshop that try to make wheels more durable than they normally are in the vanilla game.

What I would like to see, is for wheels to get the same treatment as armor blocks. Basically, the wheels we currently have would be considered 'light' wheels, and a new version added that's a lot tougher called 'heavy' wheels. Compared to the light version, these armored wheels would require more components and add more weight to the rover, but would take a lot more damage before being destroyed or breaking loose, and would have stronger suspension (less effected by the weight of the rover).

I could see these wheels would have a use for heavily armored combat vehicles, as well as for mining rovers. Not only would they less vulnerable to damage by weapons, they would also support a lot more weight, meaning they could better handle heavily armored vehicles or ones carrying a large amount of heavy cargo.

As for their look, perhaps they could have a more 'industrial' appearance, like the wheels you see on construction equipment, with a more robust suspension block. Or perhaps their design could incorporate a lot more metal in the actual wheel, to represent the extra armor and support.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.