Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Help with oxygen and small ships

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Athalon020, Aug 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Athalon020 Trainee Engineer

Hello,

I'm running into an issue with small ships that weren't included with the world at start up not having oxygen in them. A friend and I have made two ships that were exact copies of the "Builder" ship, but neither of the ones we built have oxygen in them.

The standard Builder ship has no materials in the oxygen tank yet still has a 100% oxygen level in the tank. When we built the new ships exactly like the Builder, neither had anything in their respective tanks, as expected. However, when we put bottles in the tank, the bottle goes into the tank, but has no effect on the oxygen inside the cockpit. For fun, we put ice in it, too, but nothing happened. I've checked the Builder multiple times for a generator, but cannot find one.

Another problem that may be the culprit is that we cannot access the tank while in the cockpit. If we pull up the inventories of the ship, nothing can be moved into the tank itself, despite the connectors being set properly on the cockpit and the tank.

I'm at a total loss for what to do here, so any help would be amazing. Thanks!

2. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

@Athalon020

Bottles in the tank do nothing but refill.
    Dock with a station or ship with a oxygen generator, it will fill automatically (If you have Ice) through the connector.

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

For oxygen you have
    Oxygen Generators
    Oxygen Tanks
    Oxygen Bottles

Then you have
    cockpits
    air vents
    cryo chambers.

You need to make oxygen to get oxygen. Feed ice into the oxygen generator and it will fill up oxygen tanks, cockpits, cryochambers, and sealed rooms with vents in them until the ice is depleted or the objects are filled with oxygen.

Oxygen bottles can be filled from tanks and generators. You can set them to auto-refill or do it manually. Oxygen bottles can't refill anything but your suit. They do so automatically once your O2 gets low enough. They can either be in your suit inventory or if they are in the conveyor system and your cockpit is connected.

The ONE thing to remember is that oxygen tanks will equalize oxygen with all other tanks connected to the system permanently or temporarily. So if you dock a ship 100% oxygen in the tank with a station that has 0%, both tanks will level at 50% each. This goes for any other oxygen device that needs oxygen. So turn off your tank when docking to stop oxygen balancing from happening. Just remember that no oxygen is flowing from that tank.

There's no way to manually empty a tank. You have to dump oxygen into a room with one vent from one system and pull it out with another vent connected to a completely different system.

4. Athalon020 Trainee Engineer

This is the problem: This is not happening. Here are the two ships that are being problematic:

[​IMG]

This is the standard "Builder" ship, just with the welder replaced by a grinder. You can see that the cockpit is directly in front of an oxygen tank with no generator anywhere on the ship. This tank has nothing in it (no bottles, ice, or anything oxygen-related), yet the ship has an unlimited oxygen supply, and can even refill the user's suit by getting in the cockpit.

[​IMG]

This is the ship intended as a duplicate of the Builder ship. On this one, an Oxygen Generator was put in place of the tank, and the connecting ports matched the cockpit's ports. This generator has 1200 ice "units" in it, yet does not produce oxygen at all. Similarly, I have a Large Ship with the same configuration (cockpit ahead of generator), neither ship produces oxygen despite having large quantities of ice in the generator. That doesn't mean that the cockpit is not getting O2, it means the generator itself just isn't working at all. The quantity of ice in the generators does not change despite the generators being powered. However, the ship in the picture will refill the user's suit's O2 from bottles placed in either the cargo container or the generator, so both the Cockpit and the Generator are connected properly.

We have even tried using a Tank and a Generator in both configurations (Tank-Gen-Cockpit, Gen-Tank-Cockpit), neither produced oxygen inside the ship. Similarly, we still use the standard Easy-Start Miner, which has the configuration seen on the black ship above. The Miner ship also has unlimited oxygen, but does not produce oxygen in the generator when Ice is placed in the Generator's inventory.

5. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

Publish the blueprints to both ships, and post the links here....

6. Athalon020 Trainee Engineer

Would, but can't. Both ships are gone now because of whatever bug is causing ships to spontaneously explode. Both of them exploded into nothing when their landing gear were unlocked within about a day of each other.

7. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

@Athalon020
    It's a Freaky thing, If you dock with a connector and the station has O2, your tubing, cargo hold, connector will fill with oxygen, and if hooked up to your cockpit, It will supply you with oxygen...

I noticed this Months ago, but use O2 tanks anyway, just in case the Dev's fix it...

8. Baalrog Apprentice Engineer

O2 tanks inventory only holds bottles for refilling, but have their own oxygen storage (think power in a battery). This oxygen is in gas form, not ice, so theres no "inventory", only the oxygen that can feed into other systems that use oxygen.

The Oxygen generator has no (or very little) O2 storage. To my knowledge it only converts ice to O2 when there's a tank, vent, bottle, or connected player that needs it.

I've made a small blueprint that drains one system of oxygen and feeds it into another. The O2 system in SE has some serious bugs where you lose a lot of air when draining/filling a volume with oxygen. This device will most likely lose a great deal of oxygen until the bug is fixed. The auto-balancing of O2 is super fast compared to this device as well, so if the ship you wish to drain has more O2 than the destination, connect them directly to balance the tanks, then connect the O2 siphon to drain the rest.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485387621
    [​IMG]

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I think where you're getting confused is the difference between creative and survival modes.

In creative mode, oxygen never gets depleted. Oxygen generators make oxygen whether or not they have ice in them.

When you switch over to survival, you have to create oxygen to use it. There are two ways to create oxygen: oxygen farms (very slow and absolutely inefficient), an oxygen generator that has ice in it. Cockpits hold a residual amount of oxygen. So if you fill a cockpit and turn off the generator or oxygen tank, you'll use up that oxygen for a while and then you'll revert back to what's in your suit.

If you're not understanding the principles of oxygen in the game try running the tutorial. Here's a link to the initial update explaining oxygen.

10. Angus379 Trainee Engineer

the thing im confused about is there are no oxygen bottles in the small yellow ship to start with and i cant make any so i die all the time please could someone tell me how to get oxygen bottles plaese thank you !

11. ancienthighway Trainee Engineer

I assume you are talking about the Asteroid start in the large block Yellow Ship. I just started that game to check and you should have 3 oxygen tanks in the oxygen generator and none in your personal inventory. If for some reason you don't have those, you should be able to replenish your oxygen with the Medical Room. Iron, Silver, and Nickel are needed to make them so once you have your Uranium and Ice shortages resolved, to looking for silver and nickel next.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.