Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How complete are your creations before publishing them?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ronin1973, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

Well, I use workshop blueprints if they fit my playstyle. But there are so many crappy blueprints, it got really hard to find the good ones. Lately I searched for a cheap beginner flyer for atmospher only cause I was to lazy to build something on my own. But no chance. I also don't like the "look like X from Y" just for the sake of lookalike. I need functional vehicles. I also distinguish between Spaceships, Dropships and Planetary vehicles. Jack-of-all-trades are usually working but not good in anything.

2. Malware Master Engineer

In my mind, if I use workshop blueprints, I go against what SE is about for me. Where's the fun if I use someone else's designs?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I generally don't use other peoples blueprints either. But if there's something kind intriguing, I might subscribe to it to see how all the magic happens.

To publish something new, I have to find it useful for other people or has a novel approach. I'm currently working on a series of large grid ships that can fit between a pair of air tight hangar doors. The one hard rule is that it has to fit through those doors. So that's my self-imposed engineering rule... then make useful things that can fit. I take the approach because there are players with hardened vanilla bases that use hangar doors as an entry point or have larger ships where a small large block ship would fit in.

4. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

This, too, is my exception. There are cases where it's not the blueprint but the employment of a script or two that gets my attention. For instance, a person made a six-legged drone and I just had to have it to see how they did it. If someone works some magic with scripts or timer blocks I'll download that puppy in a heartbeat.

5. Cetric Junior Engineer

Does not have to stay with a workshop vehicle you download, you can use it as base for something else you make of it. Fore example I wanted a tiny vehicle which could be used in hangars for lifting cargo boxes, so I looked and found something with a compact chassis which I further modified, for another purpose the workshop author had on his mind.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I have never, to my recollection, built someone else's blueprint. I often, however, will build one of my own blueprinted ships for a particular survival scenario. Often I'll then see one of my ships from a different perspective and iterate the design to make it more functional or to increase its capacity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Yeah. The last time I decided to use someone else's blueprint was years ago. A small atmospheric flyer caught my eye. It was just the ticket. It just needed a few alterations.

When I was done I don't believe there was a single original block left.

That's why I don't download them any more. They will just cease to exist and I'll end up with something totally different that I could have made sooner if I had started from scratch.

8. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

I have published before but to what end? Also, yeah, it seems that even my blueprints or builds are typically incomplete in one way or another, if even to leave it customizable. Personally, I agree with most here. The build is the joy! In some circumstances I can see publishing, say, like in the condition you are a server owner and want to share the BP's of the server starter ships, etc. Otherwise, other's BP's are generally a disappointment to me. Sorta feels like staying at someone else's house for the night. Sure, it may be cool, but it isn't home and where the heck is the bathroom? Compound that with the fact that there are way too many BP's our there with many being too old, broken, plain dumb, or overbuilt/too large for practical purposes. On top of that, many have scripts or too many functions that generally just don't work anymore or for one reason or another cannot be used on a server. I guess BluePrint use may go up some overall IF there was a workshop curator who cleaned up the junk out there! But seriously, there is so much junk. Way too much.. There is even a one block BP of a light armor block shared with the whole community. Why in the first place? And why is it still up? Funny? Sure, a bit, but it just really adds to the clutter. Useds by the owner? Sure, maybe. But then, why is it posted public to all? Like I say, the workshop is glutted and not curated so I guess it is no problem at all to post any and all BP's regardless of form, function, or completeness.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I guess you've reiterated most of what the OP is about. Anyone can publish their blueprints, and there's no judging on what people deem worthy of sharing. Maybe someone can blueprint a large refrigerator and we can just use a large magnet to affix them to the fridge. But the people who are on the forums tend to be a little more engaged, judging by the quality of posts in the community-creations forum. There are still some isolated gems out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I once did a popcorn machine that I blueprinted and uploaded. That’s the extent of my frivolous builds I think.

11. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

One of the first things I tried to do in SE was to make a scale replica of the stearnwheel riverboat Nenana that resides here in Fairbanks. The final project barely resembles the real thing and it was marginally functional as a SE cargo ship. Keen started that call for "exploration" ships from the community, so I published it. I'm not sure if it's ever been viewed. I'm the only subscriber, and that's by default. It's still there. Despite my best efforts, I may have let a mod slip in. That's my excuse for it not having been chosen :stare:

I was proud of it when I published it. Today I see it as a reminder that you can't have it both ways in SE. If you are trying to reproduce something to scale that is real, either the outside is to scale or the inside is to scale, but not both.

It's also why I don't judge other people's published blueprints. Most of them are there for people that don't want to or can't take the time to make something themselves. If it helps people get into the game, bring em on. I wait for Spiff's latest creation just like most other people. I may never download one but I still want to see it ;)

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I very recently had a player tell me that my blueprint was too difficult to build because part of it stuck into the ground, and then later told me that although I had said the build had 5 batteries, his only had 4. I explained that he needed to first use the projector's controls to rotate and shift the projection to get it correctly oriented before starting to build. Such is the learning curve for SE. I remember my early days...nothing but frustration trying to figure out how things worked and interacted. Now, when it comes to SE, I'm a legend in my own mind!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Your ship crashed after I loaded it full to the brim of iron ingots and tried to land it on the planet. How come you built it to where I can overload it?

14. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Spiff's ships are inspected by Boeing and certified by the FAA.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

My latest generation of ships can usually handle a full load of ingots whereas my older generation ships could usually only handle a full load of ore. I try to make them "capable."

16. Cetric Junior Engineer

I hope Spiff is well space-insured, if he is, let's sue every gold ingot out of him! :D

17. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I collected over a billion space credits in one playthrough. I'll give them all to you and declare bankruptcy.

18. zachusaman Trainee Engineer

My thoughts exactly, using other blueprints goes against the spirit of the game and feels like cheating the game and myself. The most fun I have in this game is when I am designing something to overcome a problem or do something.

When the economy update came out I started a new world and decided that until I reached an outpost, I would not use any flying tech, so I had engineer a bunch of wheel based solutions for mining, transporting, and finally making the 30km trek to the outpost which was located on the other side of a mountain. Most fun I've ever had, gonna probably do this again but with rules that EVERYTHING must be mobile, no stationary bases or anything.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

I always publish a complete working design with everything implemented. There is no point to publishing garbage just for the sake of it.

20. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

Too funny!

Exactly. Nothing like loading it all up and finding out you are just going to belly flop and lose it all. NOW, If making a new ship, I port it to creative quick and just cram everything to it's max like the O2 Gen and Reactors. Then I fill up cargo and cockpits with Platinum Ingots for a quick feasibility check. Not sure if I am correct but I think they are the densest mass in-game so I figure if it flies with that then it will fly with a full load of any other ingots/Load. I will even add some more extra lift in case I take damage. PLUS side is that if not fully loaded and I take major damage I more than often can fly with a major portion of my ship gone! Made the mistake once of using just ice for load test, not maxing my reactors, etc. So while I thought I overbuilt it, when I loaded up with some other ingot types I didn't notice the weight difference and then...... boom. "I didn't like that ship any way and yeah, I didn't really need the ingots". "I think I'll watch me so Netflix".

One of the more fun builds I worked on fairly recently was making a lift ship but had probs working it out the way I wanted. It could go to space unless maxed. It it took too long to get up to speed so it was burning too much H2. It wass a farily tight build so changing anything was going to be a very major change. My compromise was to leave it as-is and essentially build a multi-piston lift. I figured it would be a bomb but I guess I was too committed to it so I carried on. It was awesome to watch. It actually worked excellent. Each piston added made it faster. So by the time I was done with the launcher it was set so that I was already half way up to speed when I came to the full extension. Then, as I cleared, a sensor came on, kicked on my hydro, and disengaged the connector and off she went! A ship with 3 large cargo stuffed with Plat ingots that could lift off of the Alien Planet like it was the Moon.

21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I need to go back and double-check, but I think uranium ingots are the most dense.

22. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Are you using atmospheric engines to lift for the first 8km? Once I started using atmo thrusters to lift up to 8000m and hydro for the rest, going to and from planet surfaces got way way easier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

ST is absolutely correct. For getting a ship to space, atmospheric thrusters are absolutely invaluable to get a ship up to speed quickly and for minimizing hydrogen burn. I also group my hydrogen "UP" thrusters in multiple banks so I can turn off sets during the ascent phase thereby maximizing efficiency and minimizing hydrogen requirements. To me, an interplanetary ship isn't optimized unless it can carry a full load to space and still have sufficient hydrogen reserves to maneuver once there.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I only have one ship design intended to haul cargo in space and on planets. I made some smaller ships primarily for crew transport and that's where I learned that using atmospheric engines as far as they can go before switching to hydrogen made everything easier, smoother and cheaper. Scaling that up for an actual cargo ship proved to be a... challenge... especially since I was retrofitting an existing build where all the existing dimensions had to remain intact, but luckily there were some fine mods out there that made it possible. Even so, if I load it to the gills she will need help getting to space. I created a ship purpose built to attach itself to the main ship to provide extra lift. Unfortunately that ship consisted mostly of mods that are currently no longer available, so for now I have to watch my weight :D

25. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Incidentally, some time ago, I remember being curious about Sketchfab, as the Steam Workshop allows you to link the URI for models on that site. But, I wasn't able to import the models I exported from SE. I don't remember exactly why. Recently, I tried it again, and I found it was working.

With a free account, you're limited to uploading a file (such as a compressed archive) of no more than 50 MB. The 'objFile' zip that SE exports is usually more than that. But, I found that I could import it into Blender, tell Blender to combine all the resources into the '.blend' file, save that, and zip the '.blend' file, and most of my designs were under the threshold. So I did that with a few of my recent designs and linked them on the Workshop.

26. Spets Master Engineer

I never finish a ship
    I publish it when it is... decent.. 30-40% done. More like a public backup tho

27. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

Disclaimer: I like planets but really have to force myself to start there or really find a purpose to visit. Also, this was just a bit of over engineering for effect rather than being practical.
    I created an Earth Start challenge for myself in Single player using creative tools for proof of concept. It is not overly practical. It was just a simple challenge.

Simply.. I have a modular self-contained (generates and stores its own fuel) and aesthetically designed Large Block Hydro Engine Module that is easy to construct and also very powerful. The challenge was that I wanted to manufacture it on a planet and also use it as a lift vehicle that would launch into space with only hydro. Once there, since it is a modular engine, it attaches into a ship being built in space and is repurposed as an engine module. I did not want to add anything to it other than the capability to launch Three Large Block Cargo. I maxed with one of the heaviest refined resources, plat ingots, from a planet with a 1.8G Grav (or something like that) for overkill designed in. It also needed to lift from a deep silo. Adding pretty much anything else was not allowed into the plan. It was a Minimalist build; just the actual engine module and a cockpit/remote block set up essentially. I could quickly go from being hidden and land based to very capable LARGE interstellar space ship platform upon arrival into space. Sort of like what we did building some space stations prior to the shuttle. We sent up one-way rocket modules. I didn't want anything to fall back to planet or add anything else added like more or different thrusters, etc. so...

It actually worked well without the piston launcher under normal load conditions. With the launcher, it still saved fuel and in-atmosphere travel time.
    The side benefit was that not only did I get it to break inertia and launch at 40 m/s + before kicking in the engines it was fun to watch.

"You're not having real fun until you do something frivolous and grandiose that works and looks cool too!" ~me

28. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I get the feeling that most of the people posting in this thread build for engineering rather than visual appeal... or at least function first and form a far second. The workshop seems to be mostly driven by form with little consideration for function.

I wish there was a way to designate blueprint posts that are technically driven rather than aesthetically driven. I have no issue with using the game to create fantastic starships. But I like building ships that are plausible and even useful for typical survival play. Requirements are inspirational to me. I do sometimes build impractical designs, but they are often focused on some sort of engineering idea...

For me, sometimes I would like a little recognition by some peers for my builds... maybe even some critiques or suggestions as to possible improvements. The workshop tends to promote eye candy much more than engineering. That's a reflection of life, but a roped off corner for the geek squad rather than the Lego-heads would be nice.

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Preach it, brother! I know that's the truth!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Et

Well, look... if there's anyone in this thread that likes to build for engineering purposes and wants to friend me on Steam to privately publish blueprints for each others amusement etc... I'll friend you. Just PM me. There's an option when publishing blueprints where only friends can see your workshop item. The other solution is to make the blueprint non-searchable.

I figure if you build for function that you're my kind of geek anyways. If you like recreating Warhammer ships... well probably not.