Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How complete are your creations before publishing them?

Discussion in 'General' started by Ronin1973, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

How do you feel about mods? My builds are engineering marvels (if you ask me ;)), many of which could not exist using just standard parts.

2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I personally don't like using mods. But that's just my own personal quirk. I've used them on servers I've put together... especially practical things like larger air tight hangar doors.

Actually, I'm currently looking for someone with mod making experience to do some commissioned work. Didn't you say somewhere that you have a guy who makes them privately for you?

3. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

No. Wish I did.

Have someone make mods for me, that is.

You've probably seen me suggest several times that if you want something that's not in the game, you can just ask for what you want in the appropriate forum here and you'll probably get it. In fact, lately the workshop has been full of private mods.

If I "had a guy" that made mods for me, I'd have a hinge block and I wouldn't hoard it to myself :D.

4. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Stardriver907 most of those "private" mods are just reuploads of existing mods. :(

5. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I wonder if it comes down to how much a person plays survival. I see a lot of ships that look interesting but when you actually try to use them in a survival situation they're just terrible. When playing survival I need it to get the job done as efficiently as possible, and without using ridiculous PCU as even in SP survival I keep MP in mind. If you have unlimited PCU and the ship is never actually USED for anything, then yeah do whatever you want. But for me, it's the limitations that keep me interested. I mean, this is Space ENGINEERS, and finding your way around limitations is the foundation of engineering so....

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I always try to test my builds in survival, as a player, on other peoples' servers. So mining the resources, refining them, and building every block. Then by the time I get it built, the server is offline or reformatted. :)

7. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

LOL... No doubt. Had that happen a few times too many. Almost have a decent working model that I am glad enough to blueprint, log in to the game and the server is gone! Even to this day I try to periodically Blueprint but still manage to forgot to keep it current.

In fact, that is one of the engineering challenges I made for myself a few times. "I'm going to finally make that big base ship with all the bells and whistles in MP."
    BUT, seems I would start a free flow larger build only to lose it to clang, server wipes, and in one encounter, to other players who jumped me when I logged in, etc. SO, I never managed to fine tune the designs on a number of builds... soooo.. Then I started to make easy to replicate, mod, and deploy designs. I took the approach of the US and Russian military during WWII. Where Germany was making costly, slow to build, awesome weapons, they made easy to build platforms which were customizable and easy to replace! For example, one design I have is all about utility. You can make it with a void space inside so that it fits just some real basics. (IE: a fully configged refinery OR Jump capable miner, etc). I can take that one design and config it how I need it at the time. Not an end-all design BUT it does cover many bases, and then, if that function is no longer needed, easy to mod to another use.

8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

For the exact same reason, I built and then published the Badger Mk 0-AV back in October 2016
    [​IMG]
    The AV stands for all vanilla. Therefore, the blueprint should still be viable. I built it during a time when the vast majority was convinced that wheels just flat out don't work and wheeled mining was impossible. I set out to build a wheeled miner and ended up with this:
    [​IMG]
    The small grid version of the conveyor hinge proved to be relatively weak, and the small grid drill is heavier than it looks. I went back to the drawing board and built this:
    [​IMG]
    This combination of small and large grid conveyor hinges and eight drills makes this a real excavator. All the mods used meant I didn't want to publish it, but the fact that the vehicle itself needed no changes and all the work went into making the drill system made me realize that the basic vehicle was a pretty versatile platform.
    [​IMG]
    That's when I replaced the mods with standard parts and published it. Initially I didn't include a picture, which is a big no-no when publishing blueprints or mods. Blueprints move off the front page fast and get buried quickly. I managed to get one popular streamer to download it on one of his streams after he lamented that he wished he had a good wheeled vehicle. However, he was playing in space when he decided to look it over and the first thing he did was remove the wheels and replace them with thrusters. All I could do was watch. The platform turned out to be more versatile than I thought :woot:

So, the Badger became the basis of my ATV series of wheeled vehicles. Later on when there was a lot of buzz about space elevators, I built what became the first in a series of Crew Transfer Vessels. CTV001 was named "Otis":
    [​IMG]
    I never published it, though, because as you might be able to tell from this screenshot, the only vanilla parts are the beacon, some small cargo containers, and a camera. However, the principle here is that I can start with this basic setup and make a miner, welder, cargo, personnel, combat whatever. It's a lander, though, not an excursion vehicle.

One thing I will say about the Badger should you decide to have a look. I filled the cockpit hotbars with every possible suspension control so that I could adjust everything on the fly. Hotbar labeling kinda sucks in SE, so rather than trying to remember which one does what, I recommend clearing them out and making your own. In the control panel you will see several suspension block groups. It shouldn't take you long to figure out which group you want to fiddle with. Plus, since this was published Keen took away steering speed adjustment, but added propulsion override. I miss steering speed control, but propulsion override = cruise control. No more holding down "W" to get somewhere.

9. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

Yep! I hear you there. It just makes sense in the modern PCU age! I think being able to adapt is key to this whole game.

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I like to play survival games with lots of adversity (NPCs, hostile NPCs, and just plain nasty NPCs!) and usually with a buggered jetpack, so the first thing I do after landing on a planet/moon is protect my survival pod (I usually drop it in a tunnel), then I build a minor miner, then a major miner, then I head to the stars and set up a remote refinery base for getting the offworld ores such as platinum and uranium. Then back to the planet/moon to expand my empire. Then I get tired of having such a kick-ass base and quit to do something else for awhile.

11. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

First thing I do, too. Instinctive behavior for most men.