Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How do I make a onboard ship - torpedo / fighter printer?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Crusader, Apr 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Crusader Apprentice Engineer

I got trouble doing this, could anyone lend a hand on creating a compact hangar printer or a launch tube?

2. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

In my experienxe the key has always been to design your fighter or torpedo around the idea that its printable, compact and streamlined is a must.

3. Crusader Apprentice Engineer

No, I know. I just don't get the whole mechanics behind making it print safely and be able to mass produce it.

4. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

When you use a projector to project a blueprint you can build a stalk off it, weld it with welder blocks, then use intentional thruster damage or something to dosconnect it. I use gravity gens to launch personally. But others use momentum, thrusters, ect

The stalk needs to be connectors or some other block that doesnt deform,
    Mass production really only is limited by ur parts supply. Make sure the welders are hooked into yer cargo system.

5. Crusader Apprentice Engineer

Could you, by any chance, add me on Steam?

6. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

Sure but i wont be on til Sunday as im on a mini vacation with the ms :)

7. Crusader Apprentice Engineer

8. Crusader Apprentice Engineer

Guess it isn't happening. Figures.

9. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Try a projector > tail > grinder> tail > torpedo. Next to welders.
    Use a timer block to invert on/off, so if grinder is on <=> welders is off.
    Detectors at begin and end for know if there's something in silo and if have at least the torpedo size, for reduce the chances of fails.

10. Zoladen Apprentice Engineer

Depends on if it needs to work in gravity or not with how complex you need to be. This was all large grid things and done off the top of my head. I hope this helps some. If it doesn't, I'll try and get some screenshots for you if you tag me or something later on so I get an alert.

I made a space only ion rocket recently (two months ago) that consisted of a warhead, battery, merge block, and ion thruster. Made a blueprint out of it with the warhead armed and ion thruster to have max thrust override set.

On the ship side I only needed (not actually sure on needed, but used) two welders, a merge block, and a projector. The welders were off to the side and the merge block and projector above.

Something like the below where W is a warhead, B is a battery, M is a merge block, and I is an ion thruster. The top M is attached to the rest of the ship. The lines are (at least in my case) the rest of the ship and the dashes are blank spaces so the thing lines up correctly.

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

A projector can project a blueprint. This blueprint is a single grid. It will omit anything on sub-grids like rotors or pistons. Projectors can only project the same size grid. Large block projectors only project large blocks.. small grid projectors only small blocks. You might know this stuff already. But it's important to cover in case someone reading this doesn't.

Any block that is projected can only be welded if it can be attached to an adjacent block that exists in the game (not as a projection). So when you weld your first block, it is attached to the grid your projector is on. You can position a projection so that at least one block is touching and begin welding there.

Okay now that we have that covered. Here are some strategies and pros and cons.

Some people like to create a ship out of large blocks but build PMWs out of small blocks. You can do this by attaching a small rotor head to a large rotor base. If you remove the rotor head, then there's an option in the rotor's menu to replace it with a small rotor head. On top of that small head you can add a projector. You can then project small block blueprints and either weld them with large welders near the piston or with small welder heads attached to the piston (using the small welders will require an advanced rotor to pass components through). Most people use large welders.

The blue print has to fit in the space between your welders and you have to come up with some means of detaching it.

Most people opt to use a grinder head on a piston or rotor. The projection will include some sacrificial blocks that the grinder can chew off. People generally use THIS scheme for printing ships.

For player made weapons grinding them off is pretty dodgy. Using rotors and pistons in multiplayer for anything is pretty dodgy at best as any kind of desync could mean your missiles exploding in your welding rig. If there are warheads involved you can see the PMW blow out a big hole in your ship or worse if you have other warheads nearby.

I prefer to use PMWs of the same grid size. I attach them to the host via a merge block. As long as the blueprint of the PMW doesn't have another merge block attached to it at the time its created, it should just weld up and attach itself to the host merge block and the rest of the blueprint welds up on top of it. You can also attach the business end of a merge block to an armor block in creative (doesn't work in survival) and blue print it. That's helpful if you're creating multiple PMWs at once and just want to use one projection for all of them (using a jig that's hidden by the host's existing blocks). That's a more advance thing.

But let's get to the issue. Your welding rig has limitations. Each welder has a limited radius and can only weld blocks in that radius. So you have to build your rig and PMW in a way that the PMW can be welded up as well as exit the welding rig when launched without getting snagged. This means your PMWs won't be nice streamlined missiles if they are large blocks.

If you want to protect your PMWs, you can build air tight hangar doors that open when you're ready to launch. Just be away that even though AHDs look like they open up 2 blocks, they can only have an opening of 1.9 blocks or so. So two AHDs facing each other create a space that's just under 4 blocks in width.

Confused? Probably? Because you really have to build a few of these things, fail, try again, and figure out what works and what you can live with.

Here are some pics of my generic PMW rig for my larger missile ships. They can shoot a variety of different ordnance in space or gravity/atmospheres. There is a six-pack of my Klang Javelins projected on a jig that disappears inside the structure of the welder bay. Also notice the size of the missiles and how they can fit out of the air tight hangar doors as well as fit into the rig. I prefer keeping everything the same size and not using rotors or pistons so the ship is 100% viable in survival. I've also added a Youtube video of a smaller ship with the same bay firing the same payload. I started the video at where the missiles launch. But you might want to go back and check out the ship. I also have the ship firing different payloads on my youtube channel if you want to browse it.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.