Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How do I Stop it Exploding?

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help and Troubleshooting' started by punkatron, Feb 2, 2017.

1. punkatron

Greetings Engineering wizards! I need some advice/help.

I have built my first Large Grid ship, all survival, and I love it. But it has a problem. In the back I have designed a functional boarding ramp, and stowage area in which I eventually plan to carry a small exploration rover. This was an engineering win i naively thought. The ramp works perfectly, controlled by two rotors. However, the problem arises whenever I touch down. On landing, the slightest jolt tears the ramp apart in a spray of sparks and alarming grinding/booming noises. It is totally destroyed.

Why are rotors so flimsy?! And what can I do about it?

I fiddled with the parametres for rotors, their velocity and breaking torque etc, but to no avail. My only working theory for now is to somehow attach/incorporate a landing gear into the design - a landing gear effectively inside the rover bay to hold and lock the ramp in place whenever it is closed. Would that work? But I have no idea how to do this, or to line it all up, because ideally I'd want a "small" grid landing gear. A Large one would take up too much room and prevent my rover from driving inside. But how does one build a small landing gear onto a large ship? Is it somehow possible?

At this point I am stuck, and would greatly appreciate some advice.

So you can better visualize, these are two pics of the back of my ship, one with the ramp up, the other with it down.

Many thanks in advance!

2. GrindyGears

So it's hard to tell from the pictures where exactly the rotors actually are...

My guess would be that the block that you use to connect them to the ramp is clipping.

Another thing to try: If you have not done so already, set the offsets on both rotors to -40 cm (max negative)

Lastly, what method did you use to connect the two rotor heads to one another? It's entirely possible it's simply shearing force on a single rotor causing the break.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. MadMax

Another thought - check the force allocation for torque and braking operations on the rotors. I had similar issues whenever the braking force was too low as well as whenever I was applying way too much torque to the rotation.

Try to set torque to around 1,000,000 to begin with. Move it up if the rotors just need to exert more force in order to move the platform. The braking power should equal too or greater than the value you set for torque.

4. Forcedminer

:clang::clang::clang::clang::clang::clang::clang::clang::clang::clang::clang::clang::clang:

you could always disable block damage...kinda ruins the whole everything and almost guarantees instead of exploding the ship will jet off in a random direction.

like below example.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. punkatron

Many thanks for the replies.

There doesn't seem to be any clipping. The whole apparatus is constructed around offset blast door blocks to prevent that, and I've not seen any collisions or suffered any damage whilst operating the ramp.

Here's a couple of better shots. The first shows the underside of the ramp, looking up. Both rotors are in the wall, connected to the ramp. As you can see from the next image, the rotors are able to move freely due to the offset blast door blocks, and their current displacement value which seems to be fine. From above, both rotors on either side operate the angle of the ramp, and at no point contact surrounding structures.

When the craft is on the pad and idle the ramp works flawlessly. It's only in the process of landing, when touching down on the ground (with the ramp 'up' and at rest), that everything breaks. I will continue to experiment with some of the settings and report back.

Many thanks.

6. GrindyGears

Even if the offset appears to be fine, change it. If they aren't at -40 they are actually applying pressure against one another which tends to be an issue (like storing up phantom kinetic energy) which when you lock a landing gear can cause a sudden release.

7. punkatron

Ok I'll try that out, thanks!

8. Ronin1973

Judging by the pictures, you've skinned the ramp in catwalks. They are probably clipping with the ramped armor. There has to be at least some sort of gap between the moving grid and the frame of the ship.

You're going to have to alter your design to make this work. I would suggest removing the large block rotor part and then going into the K menu for the rotor and spawning a small block rotor head. Use small block armor blocks instead and be sure there's some sort of air gap between the frame and the ramp. Five small armor blocks equals the width of one large armor block. So I would use a maximum of 14 small armor blocks and center them as the ramp by offsetting the rotor part height in the K menu. You will also want to make sure that the braking force on the rotor is set high enough that it won't move while in fllight and that you override the rotor lock until you've firmly settled wherever you are landing.

Sometimes attached grids throw off the handing of a ship. I've found locking them in place with a landing gear to be a great solution. But you'll have to have the space for it.

9. MadMax

If you would, let us know if you find a configuration that works. I am personally very interested in the exploding rotor/piston/connector/landing gear phenomenon.