Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How much does a dedicated high cpu server help?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by SirConnery, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

So I'm thinking of investing in a new computer just to work as a cpu dedicated server. Intending to host only a few players. Currently playing on an i5 4460 while simultaneously hosting the server on the same computer seems to not work so well.

How good of a playability will you get with a 4,5ghz cpu dedicated server with 2 players? Intending to use a lot of enemy NPC mods. I'm just wondering if the game is cpu intensive or the netcode is horrible.

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

The netcode still has issues. Of course the higher your CPU the better it will process. Just keep in mind internet bandwidth plays a big part of it as well. So if you have players with crappy bandwidth no matter how highend your server is they will still have crappy performance. :(

3. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Bandwith is a non-issue here. I'm just wondering if a top of the line cpu on dedicated server will increase the playability by a lot or just slightly improve it.

4. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I think you will just see a minimal improvement.

5. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

That's what I was afraid of... Oh well, might as well invest in the new computer anyway.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I have a dual-Xeon workstation with 72GB. Would that work?

7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It's getting a bit long on the tooth now; circa 2012. But it still gets me where I want to go.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.