Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How real is PVP at the moment ?

Discussion in 'General' started by bisthebis 2, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. bisthebis 2 Trainee Engineer

I read everywhere about fighting ships, PvP, and people trying to weaponize every single block.
    I play almost only in SP, so I've never seen it by myself... is there a real PVP on some server ? What can the game handle ? Are we talking about motherships collidings, or two busy friend who do some dogfights ?

2. ChoMar Trainee Engineer

Before the planets i played some pvp. Now everything is buggy but noone wants to play wihout planets. It is fun, but you tend to loose a lot. It was rather friendly in my case... but still. Most of the killerweapons out there dont work in ship-to-ship combat. Ship-to-base at best. Drones do work and ramming a ship is effective. default weapons also are effective, but not as effective as ramming one large mass on your target. A good warship can sustain a lot of damage before it is unable to maneuver anymore. So, yes, pvp is a thing, but most of the concepts you think of in sp wont work on ds, or against bases at best. But it is fun.

3. bisthebis 2 Trainee Engineer

I see what you mean. I guess I'm gonna wait for netcode to play real multiplayer.
    Do you play on survival ? 1x ? 3x ? 10x ? Or creative ?

4. Devon_v Senior Engineer

PvP on servers tends towards asynchronous competition. Raiding a player's base while they're out/offline, capturing craft or cargo. It's an open world so there's no structured combat, and sapce is a very big place to hide in.

You may be able to find a PvP combat server which uses the old 10k box and spawns ready made craft. Those tend to be where dogfighting takes place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. waterlimon Senior Engineer

The vanilla game itself doesnt support PvP, as by design you are supposed to stay away from everyone else and hide in some dark corner.

You must specifically arrange for PvP, like some servers have some special PvP zones and other 'solutions' to allow people to do something with their fighters.

Unless you count it as PvP when your base disappears overnight without leaving a mark because someone noticed it while flying by and engineered some uncounterable solution to capture it...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Right now, its mostly PVB (vs bugs)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Barfbag Trainee Engineer

What is real, how do you define 'real'?

8. Mike55520 Apprentice Engineer

Not at all how the survival servers I've played on work, there's regular attack and defense runs in faction vs faction pvp and while some is pre arranged a lot is not, finding enemy bases is a tricky endeavor so you have to be tricky in turn

9. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

Our server aims to completely nullify this sort of behavior.

I absolutely hate that.

10. Dante McFox Junior Engineer

11. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

I think this is probably a most accurate description of space engineers PVP: asynchronous.

If you just drop into a PVP server, most of what is going on is hiding, deception, AFK raiding and rare surprise combat. There is also griefing. Ships used tend to be simple things, refits, etc.

Frankly, I'm not that crazy about drop-in PVP. For the most part it's just solo survival but with the added chaos of people showing up. Frankly those rare encounters aren't rewarding enough (even losing can be fun), to justify the time sink of constantly losing things.

If you do creative based PVP, where you just paste in ships and go at it can be pretty fun, but it exposes some major issues with the combat mechanics of the game and gets boring pretty fast. Large grid combat using stock weapons is basically just a race to see who can strip the weapons off the other guy, or ram first. Dogfighting is fun, but with the primitive aiming system is also sort of frustrating.

So far, working together with other people in survival has been more fun than PVP, and the PVE aspects of survival certainly are keeping things interesting at least until you reach post scarcity.

12. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

In survival worlds it's very rare for two people to be online and in their warships at the same time. 99% someone just runs across someone else's stuff and it's a matter of taking down defenses or not.. Also the build time is a lot. Rare to see large warships go at it because they are such a time investment.

13. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

And something that can be easily defeated while you are afk, which is most of the time.

14. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

I too think this is a pretty good description of PVP as it currently stands.
    However
    setting up a creative friend game with a pair of guided missile destroyers was one of the greatest experiences I've had playing SE. copypasta PVP is only as dull as you design it :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.