Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to chat in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Lysanderize, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Lysanderize Trainee Engineer

Hi
    I was playing yesterday with a guy and he showed me a way to chat using beacons.
    When you place a beacon and rename it using a terminal, no one will be able to see what you wrote except yourself, in order to show what you wrote to other people, you must copy the beacon where you wrote your text, and then paste it, this way, other people will be able to see it too.

A simple yet effective design would be the following:
    cockpit
    reactor
    beacon
    station or big ship block

you put all the block one on top of the other in the order listed above (the cockpit being at the top), you write your text, then copy paste your structure, and then you can chat !

2. Admiral Yuki Apprentice Engineer

Id recommend steam voice chat until there is an in-game chat system. I was unaware that copying the beacon would update it so others could see the text.

3. Lysanderize Trainee Engineer

you are right, but if you are like me, and don't have any microphone installed yet, this can be useful to be able to communicate with other people (who may also not have set up a steam chat).

4. Grim Apprentice Engineer

You don't have to use the voice chat. Just talk with the text.

5. Lysanderize Trainee Engineer

yeah, but if you want to speak to people you don't know, is there a way to do so using something else than beacons ? (for friends, of course it is way easier to chat with steam chat)

6. zadkiel Trainee Engineer

Would be cool to have a ship to ship or ship to station comms hub you can bring up and chat in a window. While in a suit, you could use a forearm mounted keyboard for short conversations. Like in Star Trek, you could hail a player and they choose to open comms channel or ignore it.

7. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

Does the lights work on server side, if lights fail use guns. you can always count on morse code :cool:

8. Lysanderize Trainee Engineer

I love the idea of a ship to ship communication hub ! You would also have to put a "communication block" that if it gets destroyed, you can't communicate, it would be very important to protect it if you are launching a team attack.

9. TheFurNinja Apprentice Engineer

Antenna?

10. Lysanderize Trainee Engineer

Hahah, yep, I forgot about those, then I hope they get activated soon ! (but survival first)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.