Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to dig mines fast with a ship?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cyborg_Leopard, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, it does, but the larger rotors have more mass, more area, more mount points, and are more or less tougher and harder to break. For a long time there was just this one (well, it's a modpack, actually). Originally posted in 2014 and then updated with conveyor ports, this rotor became a signature feature of my largest ship. Then after 1.185 when all these new settings came about (shared tensor) the rotor demonstrated a tendency to spontaneously detach, and there was no re-attaching.

Just this year Argual gave us these rotors. The comment section for this mod is still pretty active and these rotors are still being actively attended to. Rotors being what they are in SE means that for the time being you just can't depend on reliable performance, but for some sort of spinning drill head one of these two mods would be far more robust and reliable than a 1x1 vanilla advanced rotor.

If you avoid mods because you are afraid the Modder won't keep up, relax. The tunneled ring rotor has been around about as long as the game itself and has survived every update so far. Argual's rotors are brand new and at this point it's not likely Keen will do something to break them unless they come up with a new better rotor model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I'm usually of the mind that whenever possible multiple redundant rotors at any given joint goes a long way to improve overall stability of the system, that said in the cases of mining drills this isn't the most feasible, to compensate this I try to stiffen up the actual drill head by using multiple pistons.

Though that comes with its own issues so I guess to each there own.

3. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

With gyros being what they are, I just don't seen the point in using rotors.

If you're mining for survival, you don't even need that much ore anyway and spinning things is merely an efficient way to avoid simspeed lag associated with tool-spam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Exactly. Especially since rotors do seem less powerful than they used to be which I assume is one way of reducing forces so they don't go splodey splodey.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.