Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to improve server-side simulation speed? (Tried a few things already...)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ced23Ric, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ced23Ric Apprentice Engineer

Heya,

Maybe you guys have some input on how one can improve the server performance.

The CPU never gets above 10%, the RAM is between 2.5 and 4GB. Yet, the simu speed drops to 0.05 at spikes and is generally at 0.3. I have about a dozen players on the server, +/- 3 at pretty much all times.

What I tried:
    - Reducing actives grids (down from 220 to 130)
    - Reducing foating objects (51 atm)
    - Reducing physics iterations (down to 1 atm)
    - Removing asteroid VX2 entries (had them all gone except for planets)

What am I missing?

2. rexxar Senior Engineer

What are the hardware specs of your server?

3. Ced23Ric Apprentice Engineer

Hey rexxar, thank you for your response.

My server is hosted by g-portal.com - They do not name specific specs for their server, though. What I am looking for are "general" tips on how to improve simulation speed.

4. Ced23Ric Apprentice Engineer

Okay, so I found some specs.

Intel Xeon E5 2690V2 (3.00 GHz) and 32GB of RAM. This seems to be on a shared virtual machine, assigning ressources "as needed".

5. rexxar Senior Engineer

There's really not much more to do than what you've already done. If your simspeed is capping out at 0.3 there's something wrong. Since your CPU usage is that low, I'm gonna guess that g-portal isn't giving your server enough processing resources. Some virtual host companies sell more server space than they actually have. The physical machine you're on may be capable of hosting 10 servers, but they cram 15 or 20 in.

I ran a dedicated server on a Pentium 4 machine with 512MB of RAM and still got a consistent .5 simspeed. There's no reason it should be at 0.05

6. demolish50 Senior Engineer

My world has 700 grids. Runs on a dedicated E3 1271v3 that I own. 64GB ram. Staring SSS with 1 player is .9. With 25 players it goes to about .3.

7. Kielm Junior Engineer

There are so many things that affect sim speed.

Some advice:
    • Ban auto miners (ships that use scripts and autopilot to mine). Mining has historically been the main source of slowdown in sim speed, which is why the voxel updates are so slow (far apart) when mining now.
    • Set a limit on drills per ship if you have to. Every drill being used causes an update. The ships with 50 drills might look epic, they will tank your sim speed. Get a drill mod that lets you do more with one drill.
    • Ask that scripts on timers be set to run as infrequently as possible. There's no need to have automatic configurable LCDs updating 50 panels every second on a large station or ship, when every 3-5 seconds will do.
    • Turrets are another major cause of lag. Consider a limit on the number allowed per ship/station, as 20 turrets on a large ship constantly hunting for targets will hurt your performance.
    Clean up your server as well. Get SEToolbox, download the save and open it up. See how much useless junk there is, and get rid of what you can.

Consider some admin tools/scripts that can perform these functions for you, like disabling turrets, clearing assembler queues, stopping moving objects etc.

From my own experience, auto-mining ships caused a huge problems for me in the past. One guy had three ships running while he was offline- something like 75% of the CPU time was being used just to run these things.

Regular cleanups will help, but if there are a lot of large builds on the server, the simplest and most effective solution is to do a reset, and up the difficulty so those large builds take longer and occur less often.

Hope all that helps!

8. Kielm Junior Engineer

Also what @rexxar said.

Unfortunately, if none of this works, you'll have to consider moving to a more expensive service.

9. Tyrel Trainee Engineer

Sorry for the silly question but how exactly do you see your server's simulation speed?

10. rexxar Senior Engineer

Shift+F11. It'll show both your local simspeed and the server's.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.