Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to permanently delete an asteroid on SMP server? It keeps coming back.

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help and Troubleshooting' started by Registry_Editor, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Registry_Editor

How on earth do I permanently delete an asteroid in my survival world (dedicated server)?

I've tried SEToolbox and the alt+F10 option in game and every time I log back in, the game has regenerated the exact same asteroid in the exact same spot.

I want the asteroid completely gone, forever. What's the point of the 'remove' option on the alt+F10 menu if it just respawns next session?

Drilling and/or voxel hands are not an adequate solution.

2. Registry_Editor

H..h..hello?

3. Ronin1973

The asteroid you are probably trying to delete is probably procedurally generated. You're using this option I take it. When the game notices that no asteroid is there, it replaces it because an asteroid SHOULD be there. There's no way to permanently delete it.

When you alter a procedural asteroid (like mining ore from it), it then becomes a file in your save-game. It also becomes xml data in your sandbox_0_0.sbc file. As I said, if you delete it. It just comes back because the game believes it should just be there.

4. Registry_Editor

Then there needs to be an option to turn that off.

5. Ronin1973

That's not going to happen. They are procedurally generated. There may be a work around if you're willing to open up the sandbox.sbc save file and define an area where no asteroids should spawn. That's how planets stay free of asteroids that are procedurally generated.

You can't put a switch to govern the spawning of each and every asteroid in an algorithm. That would add a massive amount of data that just doesn't need to exist and breaks the entire reason for procedural generation.

6. SpecFrigateBLK3

If I had that problem and adequate amounts of ore present, I'd just blow it to dust. Warheads, linked by armor frame. Set them off all at once. Fireworks! Leave a little behind to keep it from respawning.