Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to point MOD script to cube block definition?

Discussion in 'Modding API' started by FartyParty, Mar 25, 2020.

1. FartyParty Trainee Engineer

I've been playing around with some ultra-basic modding where I "copy" an existing production block and modify the production settings. i.e. Create a "Super Oxygen Generator" by copying the existing Oxygen Generator and set to process more ice per second, etc.

I now want to add functionality that doesn't seem to be inherent to a particular class. For example, I want to add hydrogen production to the air vent. Unfortunately for me, the "AirVent" functionality seems to be summed up in this " <VentilationCapacityPerSecond>100</VentilationCapacityPerSecond>" where Oxygen production is inherent to the function. I see the "AirVent" cannot accept something like:

<ProducedGas>
    <Id>
    <TypeId>GasProperties</TypeId>
    <SubtypeId>Hydrogen</SubtypeId>
    </Id>
    <MaxOutputPerSecond>0.03</MaxOutputPerSecond>
    </ProducedGas>

I would like to create a "Super Vent" to utilize what seems to be a different class functionality to produce hydrogen when the vent is decompressing atmosphere. Essentially, I want to create a new block that can combine the functionality of two different blocks/classes that already exist in game. Can anyone with modding experience get me started on how one might approach this? At this point I believe I need to create a script mod to complete this.

I have been developing mobile applications with Unity for several years, so I'm comfortable coding in C# but I've never attempted anything for Space Engineers. Many SE tutorials seem outdated or obsolete, and lots of broken links in forums. I've also tried to analyze existing mods like the Dummy08 Nanobot Mod, but there is a lot of stuff in those scripts specific to non-vanilla functionality and it's hard for me to sift through as a beginner to SE modding. I just don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance,
    -FP

2. Roxette Senior Engineer