Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

How to Update your Dedicated Server (SteamCMD)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Noirdrath, Feb 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Noirdrath Trainee Engineer

I would really like instruction on how to update the server to the latest release using SteamCMD.

Currently I am doing:

1. Opening SteamCMD
    2. logging on as anonymous: "Login Anonymous"
    3. Type: "app_update 367970"

So far, 2/7/2018, It says the server is updated, However when trying to logon to the server I get the error:

"Server has different version of the game. Your version: 0.6.2.9666767; Server version: 624303772; You can change the branch, before launching the game, in game properties."

On a side note, when are we going to get a Linux version of the Dedicated server?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  2. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

That's how it's done. The only other options would be to set a path before the update and to use validate on the update to check all the files.

We cannot build Havok for Linux unless we pay some expensive licensing fees. So it probably won't happen. You can blame Microsoft for their horrible licensing when they bought Havok from Intel in 2015.

3. Noirdrath Trainee Engineer

So how much do they want for the license? Have you inquired?
    --- Automerge ---
    Hey one more question, is there a command or setting that can be added into the configuration file to limit the amount of CPU Threads the Dedicated server uses?

4. TopHatTim Trainee Engineer

I use a script to set CPU affinity automatically. It's a bit janky since I wrote it as a batch script but actually use powershell to set it.

Code:
    for /f "tokens=2 delims==: " %%a in ('sc queryEx <SERVER_NAME> ^| find "PID"') do set /a pid=%%a
    powershell -Command "& {$Process = get-process -id %pid%; $Process.ProcessorAffinity=<AFFINITY_LEVEL>;}"

SERVER_NAME refers to the name of the service your server runs as. Mine is "Top Hat Engineers".
    AFFINITY_LEVEL refers to the code for how many cores you want to run. To get the number you convert binary to decimal. So uh ... say I had an 8 core CPU and I wanted to run on core 1,2,4 and 8. The binary would look like 11010001 where each number refers to the core, 1 being enabled and 0 being disabled. You then convert that number to decimal which would give you 209. There are lots of explanations for this on the internet just search around if you don't get it from my explanation.

I use the script above as part of my auto restart script which I wrote about a while ago here. https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/automatic-server-restart-with-chat-warning.7397700/
    Although it's been updated a little since then and of course you need to be able to run .bat files to use this

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.