Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Space Engineers New! How Will You Survive?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Blitzzz333, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Blitzzz333 Keen PR Guy Staff

And on Wed, Jan 16, 6 pm UTC, we're going to have a stream on the Keen Community Network Twitch channel, which will cover some exciting new information! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

One block at a time my friend, it is all about one block at a time! :)

3. vadersson Trainee Engineer

Interesting. A combined mini refinery and assembler? Maybe Ice processing too? Seems like a lot for a little box. Look forward to checking it out.

4. Thrak Junior Engineer

And medbay. Notice the heart sticker above the display.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I thought just a mini med bay because of the sticker.

6. vadersson Trainee Engineer

Ah, so maybe JUST a mini med station. I wonder what other minerals you would need to create a Refinery and all the parts? They might have a mini survival forge too.

7. Thrak Junior Engineer

I suspect it's a combination med station and cargo container, the latter function allowing out to pack enough to build other survival-necessary units. Of course, whatever it is, is it self-powered?

8. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Okay, I've complained about individual blocks not impressing me, but it is beginning to sound like they may actually have an interesting overhaul of survival gameplay, which is to the good.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thrak Junior Engineer

Agreed. Also interested to see if this opens the door to official compound (or at least, multi-function) blocks.

10. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Thrak that would be some very wishful thinking! :) It would be nice to have though would it not?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Arcturus Senior Engineer

12. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Rideable Unicorns on Alien planet, some Kangaroos on Earth-like and maybe a Giant Sand Worm on Mars, since we are speculating let's go with that! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Blitzzz333 Keen PR Guy Staff

Reading players' theories is too much fun!

• Late Late x 1
  14. vadersson Trainee Engineer

Will the twitch stream be archived somewhere so that those of us that are at work at 1:00 EST can watch it later? I would like to see it but my boss would frown on it. :)

15. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

No comments anywhere about the live stream.. kinda was hoping to get a scoop since I was not able to watch it live due to being at work. :)

16. Calaban Junior Engineer

comments about livestream (since im sick at work) (edited as I watch through)

- open survival beta test 16 jan 10am UTC, to 18 Jan 4pm UTC (plus possible weekend overrun)

17. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

At least one more public test before they go live with the update you think?

18. Sarekh Senior Engineer

not sure, I'd say the odds are 50/50 they roll it out directly this Thursday

19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I'm so excited that I peed my pants a little.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I don't think that's the brand our astronauts use. Get me the real deal!

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Calaban Junior Engineer

Oh, wait- was the OP intended as an.. actual question to spur.. I dunno... a discussion? OK. I'll bite and chew on that assumption for a bit.

Plan. Its kind of hard to have a plan, when I awaken strapped to a landing pod, and dont know where, or how- I am going to land. What or who is nearby. If the even packed a parachute before strapping me in. Or even what planet is beneath me.

First thing I should determine though- right out of the gate; as a very wise man once once pointed out, and to put us in the proper good mood/attitude about this upcoming challenge:
    - so after that little detail is resolved, time to get to work.

My first thing to look for on the way down is any transmitting signals- representing an ally, a potential threat, or potential resource. Could be a fellow stranded engineer, an established industrial base, or a pirate raiding camp. Such determinations and resolutions are biased by my mood at the time, and any previous clone PTSD memory remnants still echoing in the web of my freshly printed neuron circuitry could affect my determinations greatly. (respawn)

The next thing to look for, hopefully before touchdown, is resources. Stone is almost a given, but sometimes a glacier can get in the way of that. Ore deposits in the immediate area are also of useful information- IF I am able to spot any with the good old mk1 eyeball. Any ice lakes, snowy mountain peaks, or arctic glaciers nearby are also of importance. Best to get a good quick look around while I am still high enough to gain such a view.
    [​IMG]
    (Not too bad)

But really- all I need at the start is stone. Stone, when ground down, yields me all the basic materials to build the important bits: batteries, turbines, solar panels, Basic Assembler, Basic refinery, Rotors, Pistons, and Drills. Those last ones are important, as described below.

I plan to hand drill stone and run it through my survival kit at the start, while I grind down my lander pod nearly completely for the materials to build the first Turbine and basic assembler -and to move the survival kit to the ground base.

The lander will remain a bit intact, though, consisting of the Battery, the landing gear under the battery, the O2 generator, as few connecting blocks of armor, and a passenger seat bolted on somewhere. This will be my recharge and refill bottles mini station while I build.
    [​IMG]

I will continue footslogging stone around a bit longer, until the Basic Assembler can slap together enough parts for a basic refinery, and the extra parts needed to make a small cargo container. Once that stone devouring machine is setup, its time to actually feed that beast. Continually. This basic plan will result in my first mini base I will gps mark as "Landfall Scratch".

The scratch is what the drill will be doing- a linear semicircular arc dug out of the ground. Or cliff. Or glacier. whatever. The hand drilling will have to endure a bit longer, until I can finish the rotor and drill, and make my first scratch at paydirt.

[​IMG]

From here, Im set. Time to get that assembler churning out more parts for more conveyors, more pistons, more cargo to handle the tons of stone I'm about to get. Oh, and that hand drill can be put away for now. Good riddance.

[​IMG]
    By this early point I'm already packed to the gills with stone- soon to be the first 3 resources. With this much reach, I can finally get "even more serious" about making that scratch, and fueling my industry:
    [​IMG]
    You get the idea by now. this scratch will give me.. well.. all the basic 3 ill ever need. and pretty fast.

By this point I can make Scratch #2, and #3 bases at other places from this starting resource cache, and start targeting specific ores. My plan to survive is to NOT build everything here at planetfall- but to spread out, have multiple scratch sites, and maybe a separate assembly/vault site somewhere not here and not so.. visible. All eggs, 1 basket sorta meme.

There will be one bottleneck to overcome, though: The "Cobalt catch 22". I will need cobalt for metal grids, which I need for cargo containers and atmospheric thrusters.... which I need to fly an ore detector/miner around.. in order to find that essential... cobalt. Yeah; that sucks. So, I'll have to dust off my hand drill, pack some bottles, and go prospecting for that blue stuff first. The hard way.

Once that Cobalt is resolved and Planetfall Scratch gets a supply of that stuff, the next growth spurt will begin: Full on assemblers, and mining ship printing.

Power will start to be an issue with a real assembler and refinery, so I will have to address that next. The above landing sight had lots of ice nearby, so I may setup a battery recharge station on the lake, or one of the glaciers. The recharge station will be a connector, 3 o2 generators, and 5 h2 engines, with an obligatory wind turbine to power the connector and kickstart the h2 engines. My scratch bases can exist off of their wind turbine/battery sources, but my flying ship needs its own recharging station. If I try to recharge my flyer at a scratch base, I will only kill the bases battery, and shut down its machinery- such a drain can be avoided.

With 5 large h2 engines sitting on a lake, waiting for someone to connect and offload ice into it.. that will be 20MW of power so long as the ice lasts... thats enough short term power to recharge even 5 small ship batteries (what my atmo miner uses) in 10 minutes. Such a recharging station would not require too many materials, and I figure "why not open its use to all- just to be nice?", since there will be nothing in it (remains empty typically) to really steal- except for the parts for the engines themselves. meh.

[​IMG]
    From this point, I can pretty much say that I survived. I will from this point collect the remaining specialty ores, slap together more mini bases as needed, tinker with my flying ship while recharging/refining/building,

And head to space at my convenience. Where the plan will be not to struggle to survive, but to aid in distress signals, deal with pirates, and work on a Jump Drive. There is also a "Space base" location thats been marked this whole time (Never Surrender)... maybe I'll head there when seriously prepared, or have a Raiding Station or 3 to bring along, if those are even Out There.

at least... thats the plan. I figure I've banked enough precautions and lined up steps in a way that any sort of misfortune or disaster would not ruin absolutely everything (all scratch bases and flyers have respawns)

So, as the OP asked: whats your plan to survive? what would you do differently? (Other than backing up the beta test Steam folder next time so you can continue to beta) I'm interested to see differing views.
    --- Automerge ---
    [​IMG]

(The open to all Lake Recharging station forgot to link in above post- why no edit?)

This was an interesting study in power generation and recharge, by the way. some things learned:
    -possibly best application for h2 engines' rampant fuel use (if only there was ice nearby...)
    -3 o2 gens can run 5 Engines.
    -this charges the mining ships 5 batteries fastest.
    -is more of a tool than a base- no inventory
    -turbines at low level are good enough to keep a connector working and kickstart the engines.
    -Can be converted to a ship and airlifted

• Like Like x 3
  23. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

If so, my answer is, "easily".

24. Calaban Junior Engineer

That makes no sense.

So your plan, planned out, is: "Easily"

25. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Calaban ban I like your plan. On the second test we had I tried something similar but I got stuck, I ran into a point where I needed cobalt and as my luck would have it where I landed I went about 20 to possibly 30km in all directions from my starting point and found none. :( I was afraid to go much further and getting stuck out in the wild. I plan to attempt this again when it releases or if we get another public test, hopefully I will have better luck. :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  26. Vorg Trainee Engineer

Personal pref is start on planet, but it's easier to avoid griefers in space combined with limited time because of them shutting down test and removing access to the game. I tried the assorted tricks to keep the client, but they don't work Copped files to another folder and ran there, but still went to older version. Tried putting backup over steam folder copy after steam update, but it still found a way to run the non-test version. Maybe I can find a way to create an offline only copy.

27. Calaban Junior Engineer

the trick is
    --- Automerge ---
    yeah, that may be an alternate start option:

"My plan is to grind down//hack/learn the landing gear, and small cargo container, the beacon and the other parts needed to place a remote control and gyro on the lander pod. Strap into the passenger seat, and "fly" that thing around sloppily like a helicopter, prospecting for a good spot... like what I call a "T1 deposit" site- full of what I called Tier 1 ores: Iron, nickel, and that dang cobalt"

just uh- splice that into the plan above somewhere at the top

28. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Cool story, bro.

Just kidding. Very nice rendition of how the typical "survival" scenario plays out. However,
    First I'd like to point out that if you made a landing you can walk away from, congratulations! You have survived. Game Over.

Second, the prevailing wisdom seems to be that you must grind down you otherwise functional lander in order to construct a base so that you can construct a spacecraft. To me, it seems like there's a step or two in there that you could skip, especially if the goal is to get back to space.

Third, and my biggest beef by far, the idea that leaving the planet is "winning". I'm not sure, but I bet the goal of every actual survival game is to get away from the place where you started, thus confusing the use of the word "survival" even more. Survival means you stay alive when the odds are against you. If you have an intact and functioning lander, at no time are you in "survival mode". You are simply making a choice to either stay or go, but it's your choice. In order for this to be considered a "survival" situation there needs to be some modicum of hope that you will be "rescued". In your entire story you never built a beacon to let someone, hopefully someone friendly, know where you are so that they can come get you and take you back to civilization, at which point you can tell your grandchildren the story of how you "survived".

So, @Blitzzz333 the question is not "how will you survive" because the answer is "I will make a safe landing." The real question is, "What will you do once you have landed."

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

In my opinion, this has been the crux of the problem ever since I started playing survival scenarios in Space Engineers. To me, a "survival" scenario without an objective is simply establishing a perpetual (or, at least, renewable) source of oxygen and power and, if necessary, neutralizing a threat or threats. Everything else is simply empire building. End of story.

That is the very reason why all the "survival" scenarios that I have created include a clear objective. If you complete the objective, then you've finished the scenario. But that's just my design methodology, and certainly isn't considered by most of the SE community who build "survival" games. I'm not criticizing, but rather only making an observation and advancing my own opinion. Meh. To each their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Calaban Junior Engineer

To highlight the oddity of that point of view, do this for me. Next time you park and turn off your car, think to yourself "congrats! I survived". While technically still true, its point is lost in the bigger picture.

I've had all last week to try different things, this plan emerged after several failed iterations.
    I originally did have alternate plans, and tried various ways to stay in a lander that I updraded as I went- nope. need base assembler. and cargo on the pod [needs grids]. And lateral thrusters on the pod [more grids]. a painfully slow a very quick dead end to progress. sure, I get to canyon buzz to my hearts content, but only so long as the battery lasts.
    - played with Surface Occupation mod to live as a raider/scrapper. Cannot do it in upgraded basic lander- its just a bit too basic, for above reasons. And so I had to "Scratch" it up anyway even to begin doing that.

Its not a "win" to get to space, unless I get burned out by the process and just give up at that point. But its on me to do that. Getting to space the point of the planetary start. Its the next chapter. the main chapter. I want to get so space as the player behind the avatar so I can get to the more interesting and engaging content Out There. I would by no means stop. In the above "story" that next chapter would be how I Engineered up to the point where I can begin assisting other stranded an imperiled people in this hostile system (the sos signals).

I did not sit at a flickering beacon gnawing on previous clone thighbones hoping someone would "rescue me". Thats a bit too passive of a notion of survival. With power tools in hand and 3d printers and blueprint archives available (oh, and a respawn clone printer), to sit and subsist awaiting an outside party to deliver me with all that available seems... lazy. Nope! this was a "Self Rescue" in every sense.

I guess the term "survival" depends a great deal on how limited or expansive our point of view on that concept chooses to be framed. Every time a cell divides in your body and did not glitch out and turn cancerous- congrats you survived 7 million times this second- and every second. If galactic archaeologists discover our burned out sun and evidence of our charred civilization on this planet, that moon, that other star over there... but no one is around at that time in the far future- how can any of those long gone people claim to have survived?

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.