Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

HUD changes

Discussion in 'General' started by JamesG, Apr 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. JamesG Trainee Engineer

The HUD text changes are unacceptable. I rely on some of those "off-screen" labels to be READABLE.

And to make even an on-screen tag unreadable till it's nearly centered?

There is NO way I'm the only player to find this bonkers. I set GPS points that I use to stay oriented. If they're unreadable they're USELESS. And to be forced to turn a massive ship all directions to read tags?

Do you people even ASK people about your changes before you just DO them?

The smaller text is very good. The grouping of multiple signals is SOMETIMES good. But we either need to go back to the former system or do something to make this work. It is WRONG as it is.

• Disagree Disagree x 21
  2. Spets Master Engineer

is the first iteration as Xoc said and always is for new features, instead of get instantly mad, you could just give them feedback, well.. this kinda is a feedback.
    in my case, I always turn down those labels from the Info tab, for me is really annoying having all those text on screen, or I just press the key to hide all.
    Maybe, my suggestion is, to turn on/off those labels when you press to turn on/off the radio broadcast

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I agree with Spets but i also agree that having to turn the actual ship to see signals would be terrible for Singleplayer; the Update Video made it look like it's depending on the camera, not the ship.
    I gotta test it ingame at some time, i just don't really have anything laying around where this would help, other than that one ship where the Nacelles use dozens of Beacons, THAT was fun when i turned the power on... this one's for the Survival guys, i guess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mze9412 Junior Engineer

I really love that change! Finally no longer having all 100 tagges ore deposits cluttering everything =)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Zyfe Trainee Engineer

Keen continually displays that they don't know how to make "games".

They make great game engines, but bad games.

• Disagree Disagree x 29
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

When ever I press Alt, all the tags become visible for all the signals no matter what direction the camera is facing or the ship is facing. Have you tried this? Just press the Alt key when you want to get your orientation and the rest of the time you get less hud clutter. Win win

• Informative Informative x 15
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I kind of wish I could make it so I can only see the icons, without the text.... then it would be for me to distinguish what it exactly is visually by getting close enough for visual identification.

8. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Yes, as others pointed out, this is the first iteration.

One thing being considered is the ability to tell specific beacons/antennas to ignore the new system via the terminal so that the text will always stay visible around your screen. But it would be up to you to decide which ones did this so you can keep the important points of interest always displayed.

Also, for now you can reveal all text tags by holding Alt. I hope this helps :tu:!

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

What you are condering is a good idea. I like it....or and I just thought of this while typing. In the terminal screen you should be able to see all signals in range and/or that are known and be able to check a "visible" box so that they are visible or invisible when in range. Then have the "ignore" checkbox as you guys are considering as well so it it goes one step further than just ignoring the new system. You can have them be visible or invisible to you even though they are broadcasting and you can still connect to them and you can have them just show as icons or show all details. That would be a very flexible system.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mze9412 Junior Engineer

I finally had time today to play with this change and I love it. The HUD is so much cleaner =)

• Like Like x 2
  11. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Had another idea Xocliw. When the target boxes are really near your crosshair, maybe the text gets moved out around away from the crosshair with little lines connecting them to their target box so that when you are shooting at something all the text does not obscure your view of the target near your crosshair. Kinda like thought bubbles but not cartoony and with thin faint lines that don't obscure much of the view. Maybe you guys thought of that already but would be great.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Cassius Faux Apprentice Engineer

Umm... Guys..? You can just... You know. Use third person camera? OR press Alt?

I kinda like that the menu isnt super cluttered by things with this. Makes my ship editing save a breeze to work on.(I have everything spaced at 7km, so they aren't rendered when working on a particular ship, saving sim speed and whatnot.)

13. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

This iteration of the HUD is so clear and concise, i'm really enjoying it and the fade out effect is completely acceptable. Alt function is a nice touch and having the tab remove everything in one go is nice aswell. Thumbs up all round i'd say :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

It would be very good to have setting to allow ore detected (maybe by specific ore detector?) being always displayed in addition to that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. M4ck Trainee Engineer

One thing, in a similar topic to these labels: info texts on button panels and such really should be more distinguishable from the yellow highlight. Way too often I have trouble reading what a specific panel says it'll do... Maybe add a darker text background or something?

16. sepen_ Trainee Engineer

As someone who took to off-loading all coordinates into text panels to only import them when required, I welcome our new HUD overlords!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Speshal_Snowman Apprentice Engineer

Holding alt shows you the old HUD set up

18. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

The hud change is great!
    I think LCD's should not have these yellow highlights at all, or maybe only an outline.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.