Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

I cannot see my feet! We need a more first person friendly cockpit on small grid

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by GrindyGears, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Okay, so I'll start off by saying this: I know there are mods for this, but I really do feel that this is one of those things that should be vanilla.

While I appreciate the immersion that the full cockpit provides, I still think that sometimes being able to see more of the ground in front of you up close would be a very helpful addition.

For example:

[​IMG]

It's quite difficult to see where the drill will be going, and in other cases trying to cross terrain is dangerous because you can't see whats directly in front of your vehicle.

Take an excavator for example, the inside of the cab really allows you to see basically everything around you, while the specific shape is up for debate, being able to see more would be better.

[​IMG]

Just as an example, you can really see the difference between the two in terms of lower quadrant visibility.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Carrion Senior Engineer

honestly having an open style control seat and glass for small ships would be the solution. none of this interface bar thing either. just same stance and control positions as the stock cockpit but none of the fluff

3. sioxernic Senior Engineer

They could just make an upside down cockpit, then we have a cockpit for looking down and one for looking up.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

If they were to do that you'd then have the opposite problem, not being able to really look up, for most of my purposes I want more visibility so I can easily transition from digging down into the ground, to looking over whatever other unit the ore will be transfered to.

Switching between cockpits for ground vehicles is not really a viable solution imo.

5. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@GrindyGears

And then you have a choice when building a ship, what direction is most important to you?

Aren't you one of the people that wants engineering a solution to happen? Because having different choices and not just one superior choice seems to be one of the things that creates "engineering solutions"".

6. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Considering I believe I have referenced ground vehicles in this thread, im going to say Just about everything except straight up.... Flipping a cockpit upside down doesn't really constitute "engineering" If they added a cockpit much like you'd see on something like a tower crane, Sure, i'd happily forgo some upwards visibility, But in the grand scheme of the game another cockpit thats more suited for planetary work VS space isn't exactly an always superior choice, If they made it huge so that you can't easily bury it in armor would be an easy balance...

Actually engineering a solution is something I have done, in the form of a cab tilter and mover, however it throws off third person perspectives. likewise I could probably try and use a passenger seat with a RC, but my cab doesn't have glass without mods, and having corner pillars that are 0.5m thick is kinda intrusive.

7. Levits Senior Engineer

Great Idea! I would love having small-ship glass blocks to make my own cockpit! I'm glad you finally agree.

8. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@Levits

Yes... Because that is what I said...

And small-ship glass blocks would not give you "different choices" as you might think. Big blocky boxes with singular functions actually give you more engineering problems than small modular ones. But I guess the challenge of matching blocks against each other is to hard... If you want an ENGINEERING! challenge, you need to fit already pre-existing templates into a different design... But... I guess that is to hard for you @Levits?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

@sioxernic I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes this morning, but I'm gonna ask you to take a deep breath and count to 5, or maybe go eat a snickers... I don't know...

Part of the reason that I suggested a new cockpit VS simply asking for small ship glass like literally everyone else has, is because i'm already well aware of keens stance on the matter. Last I checked they have given a pretty solid "NO" as that could lead to SSGL and then complaints.

I honestly wouldn't complain if they gave us what would essentially be a small ship version of the passenger seat that has a set of control levers duct taped to the side. So long as it's reasonable to actually see what is more or less directly in front of/ slightly below me, I'd be happy as a clam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. sioxernic Senior Engineer

I didn't comment towards you for that...
    So I don't know who pissed in your cornflakes this morning and made you completely miss Levits reply and that I was replying to Levits.

But great you focus on that reply that wasn't directed at you acting like it was directed at you and then completely ignore the actual reply to you.

11. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Im aware it was at Levits, I still chose to answer.

12. Levits Senior Engineer

Just couldn't resist :woot:

As far as I'm concerned, the more blocks and variety of blocks that they add to the game the better. If we cannot build what we want in the game, then the next best thing is to request to have a preset model with the specific/different functionality in it. A cockpit with a more open viewing area above and below it is one that seems pretty reasonable and has been requested time and again.

We only have 2 cockpit versions right now, adding 3 or 10 more wont hurt nothing.

13. SpecFrigateBLK3 Senior Engineer

Passenger seat and RC block can serve this purpose. Adding "3 or 10 more" would take time away from creating functionally unique blocks like parachutes. Yes, it was a mod before. Still took time to implement as vanilla.

14. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

unfortunately the problem with that way of doing things, is you have to supply yourself with air bottles, instead of having a tank/generator on the cockpit. This also sorta goes back to the whole lack of small ship glass bit I mentioned above. (even though it wouldnt really matter because you cant pressurize small grids) I personally would like to see 1 or 2 more small grids to sorta feel niche sorta rolls, the one im suggesting in this thread, which would still be a sealed unit and perhaps an open air Roll cage sorta version for a more moon rover type of feel. (in the sense that you still get your air from the suit if need be)

I agree 3 to 10 is probably a bit too much, but it's likely hyperbole to make a point variety is nice.

15. Levits Senior Engineer

Yes, 10 was a hyperbole. ;)

We have a default "Civilian" model cockpit right now and a "military" fighter cockpit.

What I would like is to give that scroll wheel something to do and have some different versions of each. At the very least maybe even some even-numbered versions that are two spaces or 4 spaces wide rather than the three.

16. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Going to bump this with some images, Part of the reason i requested this is because "engineering" a solution means it looks kinda goofy.

Needs this super heavy tilt, just to get a view like below.

Again works good for first person, but heavily distorts things in third person.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.