Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

I hope Space Engineers can be like this in the future, any thoughts?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurikaktus, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kurikaktus Trainee Engineer

Saw a trailer for a game. Its called "Angels Fall". First thoughts that came to mind "Space Engineers can do this and more". Sadly I couldn't find any large scale pvp servers. If some exist, they probably dont live in the same timezone as me.

I'm just sharing this cause I'm really excited about the future of Space Engineers and I hope it can become some kind of MMO (meaning lots of players online at a time and not like those RPG grindy games ) like this game.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

/rages internally

Suffice to say, no, I don't think Space Engineers could match or exceed that game, nor do I feel its at all suited for "MMO" status (which is conceptually distinct in my eyes from "supports big servers that let 50 people play at once".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

That is nothing like space enginners. There is no building or engineering or planets that can be mined or ships that can break apart or volume based anything. It's just a fps some flying and driving. Looks like fun for that type of game but not comparable

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

It can be like that more or less actually. Just take a look at key points:

- In SE you can prepare scenarios to be played placing spawns, teams and props. With more options in a future.

- you can place big stations or buildings to run around.
    -you can put big ships and fighters and tanks or cars for players to drive.
    -you can transport people around in vehicles.
    - you can shoot at each other.

What is lacking is a better MP and the interface and support to handle the matches. The last can be in part solved when more scenario options and goals get implemented.

What needs to be clear that other people tried to say is it will never be like AFF in terms of polishing and gameplay because SE is not geared to be a FPS battlefield style. You wont get the same fast paced action and smoothness, it will be a SE-fied version of it.

Now SE can add its own thing that AFF doesnt do like dynamic altering the map on the fly or adding a resource gathering aspect to it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Kurikaktus Trainee Engineer

I was talking about the Pvp portion of space engineers. You build your fleet and attack other factions which would involve capital ships, fighters, and tanks if the battle is on a planet. I remember seeing a clip in the menu where a fleet of ships jump simultaneously to some location. This also gives a reason for people to engineer their ships better to be optimized in combat.

The main difference is that ships can be customized depending on the faction and could be a persistent world instead of single game thing. People take roles, some mine, some guard transports...others raid transports. This would be more interesting assuming there are enough players to stick to that world.

6. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

The Funny part about this is. On the Server i am currently Playing on, we have something similar to this (just way smaller). We only Need more Players and an better MP Netcode ,... .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

I think everyones in the same boat bud, at least there have been marked improvements in performance of servers and mp maps in general. Its getting there just not as instantaneous as people would like.

8. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

For permanent state of warfare you would need more tools. Its been discussed before. Things like the build inhibitor mod are the kind of things needed.

What you are suggesting is also what I though when I got into SE. It will happen eventually as the game is able to support it.

9. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Thanks for articulating this. Space Engineers is a fantastic game; it's just never going to look like that, nor play like it as smoothly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. DuneD Junior Engineer

I for one hope that SE doesnt turn into that, don't get me wrong, the UT3 mod Angels Fall First ( yes this game has a past as a mod on UT3 ) was cool, but its not what I'm looking for in a sandbox game. AFF is only a really cool UT3 mod, but its just that, a first person shooter, nothing else, scenarios are limited, there are loading screens between scenarios, maps are small and gameplay ends up being repetitive. I'm pretty sure I couldn't score more than 100h in that game without getting bored to hell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

The sad part is that Marek would probably be all over that video.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

The thing would be ofcourse an scenario giving a new gamemode.

Fully converting SE into an AFF I think is out of the question, so much that its taken for granted that it wont happen. It would be like some of those games that were born as an rts then mid way the publisher ordered to turn it into an fps because thats what is selling. You get the idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kurikaktus Trainee Engineer

coincidentally I found a Space engineers server thats somehow trying to be like this in terms of objectives. Capture a base or a planet (single massive base on a planet) and the faction gets 1 victory point per hour. Very ambitious. They're currently testing stuff and I heard they'll be starting on april. The current server is for testing and I've heard they have a minimum of 12 players participating in the faction war.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.