Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

I'm feeling really sad right now... I can't play planets

Discussion in 'General' started by LFCavalcanti, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

This is not a rant on KSH.

I can't play it... 8 FPS... I have been reading people's posts about it, doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. It's frustrating... the hype train not only derailed for me, but also stumbled on a rocky mountain.

It's like seeing the woman you love kissing someone in front of you. It's like being left behind while your best friends go on that awesome vacation.

I will go outside, cry in the rain, so nobody sees my tears...
    [​IMG]

Well, we have a pretty sunny day here... damn.

• Friendly Friendly x 12
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. noxLP Junior Engineer

Honestly, i don't know why you have that performance, your PC is similar to mine, i think the only difference is the hard disks and the Gcard, which i don't know how it is, i have an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series with 4Gb.
    Besides that, i have a i7 with 8Gb ram, and yeah, i have plenty of hard disk space but that's for music so, afaik, it should not be a difference for the game performance unless you don't have enough space for virtual memory.

Is the GCard old? Doesn't seem but i don't know.

Edit: I'm having 20-30 fps, yeah i have dropdowns here and there, when i pass a certain mountain or things like that, but 80% of the time it's 20-30 fps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

My video card doesn't support Dx11. It is installed, I just never realized it wasn't working. Now I can't even load up a planet game, much less deal with it being slow. :p Just bought a house too, so money is super tight!

And I have a server to update dangit!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Hmm, I can play planets FAIRLY well. A bit more lag then I am used to, but not unplayable. I would be interested to know what hardware the game is currently leaning the hardest on, because while I would consider my computer to be a decent gaming machine, I wouldnt call it top-of-the-line by any means.
    My rig:
    AMD 1100T processor (Phenom 2 x6 @3.3GHz)
    16GB DDR3
    GTX 970 4GB
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500GB)
    Windows 10

The SSD, OS, and GPU are all new, but the CPU, mobo, and RAM are almost 5 years old.

5. StarCore Trainee Engineer

Well I would suggest several thingsthat might help you :
    - Completely defragment your disk, especially if you are the host of the game. ;
    - Make sure you have at least something like 15% of free space on your hard disk ;
    - Close unnecessary stuff on your computer (web browser, etc) ;
    - Play in a world with a reasonnably reduced view distance ;
    - Remove (or lower) unnecessary graphical options like anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering.

You should never have your RAM entirely used. If you do not have enough free space in your RAM, let's say 20%, it will litterally kill your performance, no matter how powerful your computer is. That's why you have to close all unnecessary programs and disable or lower options that may use RAM. Same thing for the video RAM.
    Not having enough space in your disk or having a very fragmented disk can make loading times longer and may also slow you down while playing, depending on how SE is coded.

6. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

I am playign really fine with planets:

CPU: i5 650 dual core
    RAM: 8GB 1333 Kingiston
    GPU: EVGA GTX650 TI Supercloked
    HD: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM

game Config:

All settings on Medium
    Flora on low.
    Shader Cash disabled on on the Nvidia control pannel.

7. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

I know how you feel, granted your rig is much better that mine ... in fact I'm guessing everyone's is :D

I haven't even tried loading planets or even a non-planet game at this time, I'll give it a few more weeks.
    I'm running with:
    2.2ghz quad core
    5 gigs DDR2 (800mhz) ram
    Radeon 5700 1 gig (supports DX11 but only benches around 900 - 1000) it's old
    With my motherboard I could go up to a 2.4 quad core and 8 gigs of ram ... but really that'd be a waste of money I just need a new computer.
    Everything I have is so old I don't even think they make it anymore.

SE used to play ok unless I had a ton of ships in the area, but with my old computer I knew this day was coming and can't really be too upset over it. Just need a new computer for this and a few other games.

8. russo_bolado Junior Engineer

Same here, buddy... Same here.

[​IMG]

9. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

Ah, I probably should have mentioned my settings as well.

Medium Flora, all graphics settings on high, tonemapping DISABLED. I was playing on the earthlike planet for testing.

10. chrisb Senior Engineer

Its too bad you can't get them going to, at least, some degree. :(

There is one consolation, you can keep clear of that alien planet, soon as you land, they're there trying to eat your ship. That sound they make :eek:.
    I made a video, I was heading to the door to go out having landed, heard that sound and turned around and went back to the bridge to check how many of the little bleeders were there. They were all sat around my ship, with knife, forks, and serviettes drooling. Case of, landing gear 'unlock', thrusters on and get the hell out of there.

Playing in creative they don't seem to die, even with unlimited ammo in the mg, they still didn't die.

So, put down a station block, with a couple of warheads on top, then let them come over, backup and bang, they're not dead, but they get stuck in the hole. :woot:

Sorry wandered off there.
    I hope you can get them going to some degree soon, have you tried every option, silly question I know, but... Did you try an empty map, well the one just above bottom in the menu. Then get in game, delete the box standard ship and try spawning in a planet at a lower size. May work.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Dreokor Senior Engineer

I'm still surprised plantes play so well on my PC. My specs are nothing special yet it manages to get 20 - 30 fps on a planet's surface regardless.

I feel sorry for you actually, planets are a lot of fun and I've only just been crashing stuff into them, havent really checked in depth.

12. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

I'll asume you saw my Specs in the other thread. Your GPU is designed for Desktop, mines a Notebook. HD7700M, if it was the desktop version of the same series, like 40% more performance. That's why you have much more FPS.

That sucks! But hey, at least you bought a house, some people can't afford new hardware because they really don't have money. In my caso is the price, exchange values are too damn high right now, a GPU that costs $ 200,00 in the USA will cost me around R$ 1200,00...

Thanks for the tips, but I'm an "IT Guy", 14 years in the field. I run ARK with 24 FPS in this bad boy... It's nothing wrong of faulty with the hardware.

I don't, generally it runs around 42% with tons of tabs open on Firefox and Chrome(Yes I use both).

Eu sei que você é BR... não fica de hu3hu3 não! kkk Just kidding.

Vou falar em inglês mesmo senão a moderação briga conosco. haha

With the dollar price here, a can't afford a new notebook or PC now... too pricey. Also, I can play ARK just fine... I mean that game is so badly optimized I wonder what happed to SE.

Well, with 8 FPS I can't even fly a ship, by the time I see there's a problem, I'm already crushing down.

13. BoxxyBrown Apprentice Engineer

Hopefully they'll make optimizations soon. My GPU usage was pretty high, but I ran my game on pretty much the highest settings (980ti). But I think what's really killing performance right now, is actually the CPU. I was watching my usage while flying around, and my CPU was literally hitting 100% at some times - with a 6 core, 12 threads chip.

I think what's happening is the game is using a thread for every core on your processor to load the voxels as you move around. My FPS was a steady 60 fps when standing still, but it'd drop to 30 or so while flying.

I'd also get some temporary freezes before the CPU usage would spike, and I'm suspecting that it's loading data off the harddrive, and then processing it - so if you have an SSD you could try moving it to that, and see if it helps.

14. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Intel Core i7 - 4 Cores at 3.2 GHz here, it never went above ~45%, most cores didn't even go above 30%. The game already is on a SSD.

15. BoxxyBrown Apprentice Engineer

What was your GPU usage at?

16. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

Radeon HD 7870 seems to work fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

You know that since this is a mobile GPU, there no real way to determine that... because it scales the clock when the game requires it? Also, 100% doesn't mean there's something wrong with the Hardware or the OS, badly optimized games can use more resources than they should, even AAA games have problems, for example Arkhan Knight had a bad run because of a poorly implemented console port.

I observed always around the max clock with 90% usage. Ark in the other hand have the clock dropping when nothing complex his happening and 80% usage at max clock. I get around 24 FPS there.

18. Clunas Junior Engineer

It takes me a few minutes to get everything loaded properly, even after getting past the loading screen. During that time, the framerate is terrible, but then it stabilizes around 25 FPS.

Now if I go exploring.... game slows down until the terrain is fully loaded again

19. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

20. chrisb Senior Engineer

It may have DX11, but I'm not sure it'll run the game. So the players having problems are not just looking for a DX11 card, but they also need one that will also run the game, reasonably well.

21. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I'm in the same boat... for some reason, I am getting 16-20 FPS on planets, but I'm working off a 4 year old machine.

This is making me afraid to upgrade my computer...

22. StormField Apprentice Engineer

That sucks that you are having that experience.
    I get all the eye candy and settings cranked, and it's worth it. Do what you can I guess :)

23. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

24. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I'm pretty darn sure the thing the game leans heaviest on is shader performance in DX11.

25. JTConsortium Apprentice Engineer

According to this list that card is not supported. You can find out which cards are and are not supported. Click each header and it'll open up the list. Hover your mouse over a model number and you'll get a 'yes' or 'no'. I've seen this list for months and I'm sure it's likely not been updated (or even if it will be) since planets dropped.

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=9010&canMyGpuRunIt=Space Engineers

26. DakotaShock Trainee Engineer

So my comp specs: I5-5200U @2.5GHz, 8gig ram, intel HD-5500, DX12, Windows 10 is going to fry if I buy this game I bet?

27. Devon_v Senior Engineer

With that Intel HD, yes. Replace that and you should be good.

28. DakotaShock Trainee Engineer

That is disheartening because the people at the store said this laptop would be able to handle this game )bought the laptop 3 months ago). I have no clue if I can even switch the graphics card...or even know how. I am pretty new-ish to gaming on computer (minus RTS stuff)

29. StormField Apprentice Engineer

Your problem is listening to a salesman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

The thing is... 3 months ago it was playing it alright. But with DX11 on Planets it will suffer, that's the difference, sadly.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.