Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Increase # of "ore blobs" when mining with character drill.

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by TSForrest, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TSForrest Trainee Engineer

I am having trouble finding how to increase the number of ore blobs/chunks that each player can have before they start disappearing when mining with a character drill. I've spent hours have been searching the forums and Google for a solution, but nothing I have found seems to help. Right now, we can only drill for 1 or 2 half-second bursts before blobs start disappearing, and catching the blobs as they are created is hard to do with any consistency. Upgrading to a tier-4 drill doesn't help that much, since we have to stop every 1-2 seconds to pick up the blobs.

I did increasing the number of "max floating objects", but that didn't seem to have an effect on this behavior. I imagine "floating objects" affects how many blobs can be present globally, but not per player, from what I have observed.

I think my problem finding this info because I could not determine the proper term for these ore or rock chunks/bits/blobs/pieces/etc. We're working on moving to vehicle-mining, but I can't help but think there's a simple fix for this.

Thanks in advance for any info! It will be tremendously appreciated!

-TSForrest

I am a n00b when it comes to Space Engineers and managing a dedicated server. But, I think it's is an awesome game, and our little community seems to really enjoy it! I am excited to start diving deep into ways to make the SE experience as fun as possible for everyone who plays on our server!

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@TSForrest go into options and raise your max objects setting. If set too high it can cause performance issues. Some of the "blobs" are just for visual effect and you will never get those. But to get more that stay you need to raise your max objects. :)

3. TSForrest Trainee Engineer

Is that the "max floating objects" setting? if so, I already have it set to 256, which is the most my server hosting provider (PingPerfect) allows for Space Engineers. Is there another setting? I have played on another server with "max floating objects" set to 256, and it allowed maybe 10x the ore blobs when I was mining. Now, even when I am on the server by myself, the problem exists. I might get 4 or 5 ore blobs before they start disappearing. Often, when mining ore (not rock), I will get 1 (maybe 2) blob or ore and 3-4 rock before they start disappearing. If the "max floating objects" setting should be affecting this, maybe I need to open a ticket with PingPerfect and make sure that the setting is actually being applied. They have this web interface for editing the main config file. We can edit every other file directly, but I think they control that file to make sure folks are not using settings that could be draining CPU from other game servers hosted on the same physical server???

4. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Yes the max floating objets. Can't hurt to double check they have it set correctly. Unless Keen has it lowered now for Dedicated Servers...

5. TSForrest Trainee Engineer

Thanks you very much for the info! I'll check with my server hosting provider about verifying that this setting is being applied!

6. derspiny Trainee Engineer

One thing to check with PingPerfect, specifically: the slider in the "Config Files" section is only applied to new saves. To edit the limit in an existing save, you need to go into Instance/Saves/(your world) and edit the .sbc file.

7. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.