Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

increase PB character limit

Discussion in 'Modding' started by gothosan, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. gothosan Junior Engineer

As part of a script I'm (still) trying to make I realized since long ago that the 100k character limit is simply not enough.
    With no increase from the devs in sight I was wondering if its possible to make a mod that increase or downright remove the character limit so scripters can write longer code.
    I'd appriciate if anyone could help me with that, preferably would love to learn how to do that.
    Thank you :)

2. Malware Master Engineer

The limit is hard-coded. You can't mod it.

3. gothosan Junior Engineer

Are you sure?
    I do remember seeing once a mod to remove the limit but I can't find it anymore..

4. Malware Master Engineer

Absolutely certain.

5. gothosan Junior Engineer

That's a shame.. 100k is not enough for the script I have in mind...
    Is it possible to make a mod that act like a script? Like sending and recieving messages via antennas, modifay text on LCDs and so on?

6. ChickenNugget Apprentice Engineer

In addition to optimizing the code to be as short as possible, you can save even more characters by removing all formatting and spaces, and mashing it into a single, horrifying code block

7. gothosan Junior Engineer

even if I do that it would still not be enough sadly :(

8. Malware Master Engineer

A mod can do a whole lot more than scripts can. Mods aren't restricted to the same rules that scripts are, it's what separates scripts and mods.

9. gothosan Junior Engineer

I'll look into that then.. thanks @Malware

10. Georgik Apprentice Engineer

You can also try to separate the code among more PBs. And get yourself some challenge inventing communication protocols. ;)
    I also started making huge ship OS project with more PBs, and it is certainly possible. Just separate things and preserve logically connected ones together. (e.g. controlling thrusters in one, controlling power in another).

11. gothosan Junior Engineer

I considered that, however the communication between multiple PBs will waste code space and damage to one PB will render the whole system offline, not to mention that each part has to be published sepratly to the workshop and will be hard to debug.
    I'm 100% sure I've seen once a mod that removed the character limit from the PB...

12. Georgik Apprentice Engineer

It will take some fraction of code space, but on the other hand you have limitless amount of code afterwards.
    Damage to one of the PBs... Well that's the cost. But it still depends on the actual implementation, if you make it absolutely modular, disabled PB can disable only few of the features and others be still functional. And I think the damage to PB is so rare this should not be taken in account.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.