Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Incredible Low Frames - High End Rig

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by MaciKeks, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Artraxus Trainee Engineer

I am pretty sure the problem is more to do with your hardware and less with the software.

2. metalsynkk Apprentice Engineer

Well no reason to get pissed.. I got from 100 hours on Steam to 350 with all the bugs and glitches and I still love the game for what it is. What I am thinking is that fixing stuff like netcode or global optimization is something they cannot do in a week, the deadline they set for themselves after every update. Sure, the past couple updates may have seemed like nothing, just fancy new stuff while evading the real issues, but I think they are working on optimization alongside the fancy stuff. Maybe they will release it soon enough.

3. MaciKeks Trainee Engineer

@ Art, no it isn't. Read the whole thread and you will understand why.

@metalsynkk well problem is it all worked some patches ago, so it cant be the optimization. Of course SE is not very optimizated but well enough to run that game easily, and yea I have no problem with bugs, I backed a shitload of Kickstarter games, have a shitload of Desura games and another shitload of early acces games, but this is not a bug, this is game breaking for a good amount of people... it feels like the SE Team is not even trying, like okay we atleast got a Moderator responsing here, we provided the stuff he / she asked for and now what? It can't be that hard. I don't know much about there engine, but it all worked back then so they should be able to fix this.

4. radam Senior Engineer

I would like to see they just took an axe and divided all those threads into paralels. But then again it might be hard, or make the game less optimised for dual core cpus. Which still count what 50% of the playerbase?

But then again, if its a little less optimised for single threaded, we can throw that many more cores at it! Even newer processors will mainly gain more power by having more cores. Not to mention AMD...

5. tonyh Trainee Engineer

I too started to get terrible performance issues with my 8350 w/16gb, 7850 w/2gb since the faction patch, especially if anything was mining. I found dropping resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 pretty much solved the problem for me. Image isn't quite as sharp, but it works well enough for me. Maybe try that until some bug fixes come along.

6. Camo5 Trainee Engineer

This is something I noticed when trying to fiddle with graphics settings for space engineers, apparently SLI isn't a thing.

7. MaciKeks Trainee Engineer

I dont have 2 GPUs anyways :p

8. MaciKeks Trainee Engineer

9. MaciKeks Trainee Engineer

I love how over 2 months after opening this thread no Dev has yet responded, the only thing we had was a Moderator who didn't even read shit, atleast it seems so.

I gotta say this is one of the worst, if not THE WORST customer support I've ever experienced in over 12 years of gaming.
    Even WarZ gave me support after about 2 weeks.

10. radam Senior Engineer

Bigger question is, why does the game play shitty on AMD gear compared to intel/nvidia.

11. KC8DEE Apprentice Engineer

cuz intel is a supporter ???

12. entspeak Senior Engineer

OP has intel, though it may be an nVidia/Radeon thing. Being that optimization is not a priority at this stage, they may have it working best on the machines they use - which may have nVidia GPU's... who knows...

The game needs graphics optimization, but that doesn't seem to be where game developers focus their energy and resources during the alpha stage.

I'm trying to figure out why MSI Afterburner is reporting twice the framerate as the in-game monitor. Game says 17 fps when MSI says 34. Weird.

13. MaciKeks Trainee Engineer

Thing is it worked just fine earlier that year.
    Never went under 60FPS ever.

14. entspeak Senior Engineer

They've added a lot since then.

15. zuypaweu Trainee Engineer

I've also noticed a significant frame drop, before the last two patches(I didn't play after the previous patch) game was much smoother and had much more fps, I didn't measure it though. Again it's happening nerby asteroids. Game went from playable to barely playable.

i7 2630
    525M 1GB
    8GB RAM

Render quality: Normal, Res: 1366x768
    I've also recently updated my nvidia graphics drivers.

//edit
    Is it possible to download a specific version of spaceengineers and test it?

16. MaciKeks Trainee Engineer

I think not.

Im hoping for Star Citizen to come out somewhat soon so I can finally PLAY a good Space-Sim.

17. radam Senior Engineer

Well with that budget they surely will do alot of optimisations.. lol.

18. radam Senior Engineer

How big of a world were you running? As if its running on a laptop, it will push if to its thermal limits.
    I wouldnt expect more than 10 fps in an easy start world with your gpu.

19. alehic Trainee Engineer

WOW talk about not reading your own thread Phand replied to you on the ninth post and you ignored it

20. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

I told him the same thing... two months ago. This thread is practically ancient.

But actually, I have been getting low fps for no reason lately. Even moderate sized large ships bring me and everyone I've talked to down to about 15 FPS, whereas before only ridiculously large stuff or explosions would have that effect.

21. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

Keen probably re-enabled the FPS locker again.

I made an empty world with the view distance the lowest setting and no mods or blocks added in the world and I only get 80fps but in the main menu I get over 300? WHY?

I have a ship with over 11-mil triangles and 70k+ blocks and checked the performance tab for SpaceEngineers.exe and its only using 11% of my 8 Gigs of RAM and 12% of my CPU.

The game play suffers greatly when I can only get 9FPS because the game engine will not gather all the resources my computer has to run the game smoother.

Also I checked the Memory(Private working set) and its only using 1,593,764kb--1Gig of Ram why is it not using all the RAM I have to increase the fps and performance of the game so it runs smoother and is more enjoyable.

This is on the 64-bit version of SE.

<div>Also, How hard would be it to add the video option to turn off shadows and HDR since Shadows/HDR/SSAO love to eat fps a ton.
    I understand they are "Voxel maps" so its probably impossible to do so, but certainly there should be a way to have the game engine Not generate the shadows upon start-up of the game.
    This would make building large/huge ships much more enjoyable because your not dealing with the huge lag caused by the shadows.

You can add LOD to every block its not going to make that much of a difference in the fps of the game.
    My PC Specs are in my signature.</div>

22. Eddek Trainee Engineer

I noticed at my rig at least that the game looks like it's low on FPS but MSI Afterburner reports 60-180fps depending on a location (lower fps in places close to rafineries, high fps in highly lit areas). Point being, when tools report 60 fps the game feels like it's running at 20-25fps tops. Kind of odd.

23. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

I just don't understand why the games only using 1 Gig of RAM when it could use a lot more and run smoother, I used the statistics UI that is built into the game.

I thought 64-bit was so you could make bigger worlds without problems but it seems like Keen added a memory usage limiter.

I saw that it was gone from the Cfg file in the main folder too. :(

24. Triffid_Hunter Apprentice Engineer

because that's not how it works.

RAM is exactly like our brain's short-term working memory, but framerates are controlled by how long it takes to draw all the stuff on the screen which is in turn defined by the render pipeline that starts in the CPU and goes through the GPU to your screen.

For faster framerates, the game's code on the CPU needs to tell the GPU things in such a way that the GPU can do most of the drawing in parallel in an efficient way, and the GPU needs to be fast enough to draw everything in a couple dozen milliseconds.

There are sometimes specific tradeoffs in code where a specific thing can be drawn in a ram-hungry but fast way, or a ram-efficient but slow way, but this is NOT a general case!

You can't just magically inflate ram usage and get better draw rates!

25. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

So is there anything I can do to increase the frame rates?

I tried upping the priority of the game to "Real-time" instead of normal but didn't help much.

26. Eddek Trainee Engineer

On that you'll need to wait when the game is at least out of alpha stage. For now optimization is fairly low on devs priority list I think.

27. SEModder4 Junior Engineer

Is it possible to add:

shadows-disable/enable
    HDR-disable/enable
    SSAO-disable/enable

Since Shadows and HDR's and Anti-Aliasing love to eat fps incredibly well.

28. MaciKeks Trainee Engineer

It is suddenly working for me.
    Never going under 100 frames with 16 big asteroids arround, seems like they finally have a new coder who is not actually a monkey.
    Gratz on that SE Team. Cya in Space.

29. Coreinsanity Apprentice Engineer

I would love to be able to enable and disable shadows and all that.

I have a fairly good system:
    -i7 950 @ 3Ghz
    -970 GTX
    -24GB DDR3 (Corsair, it's stock clocked)

And it struggles to do 20 FPS near my base, which isn't even that big. When I get near a light, especially a spotlight, it completely kills the FPS.

Wow, this is a pretty ridiculous post. I'm glad it's working for you now, but the game is in ALPHA, from (as far as I can tell) a fairly small studio. It's not doing too bad.

I bet when BF4 was in alpha it ran like complete crap. In fact, this goes for almost every game out there. Alpha is where they add features, not optimize them. So far as I can tell you've been a complete and total ignorant dbag the entire thread. A dev, who you ignored, even offered to help you on the first page.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
  30. Troa Barton Apprentice Engineer

Mine has tanked too recently.
    i7 4770k overclocked
    GTX 780ti overclocked
    8 GB ripsaws
    As rock mobo

From what I can tell my bottleneck is on my hdd and my graphics card which will ping up to 100% from light sources I don't run out of ram.
    I'm in a large world with a fair amount of ships and stations, I recently deleted all the little asteroids added one new one.
    I cut one asteroid in half, took a side off another and am proceeding to delete another one with my ship.

But every time I look in the direction of the light the game tries to end our lives Romeo and Juliet style.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.