Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Inertia dampeners mass while docked

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help and Troubleshooting' started by Milony12, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Milony12

I recently bought this game and i totally love it, i build a giant ship that has more than enough thursters in space but is to heavy to hover in the atmosphere. Thats why i build an attachment ( full of thusters ) that i can dock to the big ship to be able to fly in the gravity of planets. But when i fly to a planet. The addon's inertia dampeners will work but will only counter-weight itself and not the docked ship. Are there any ways (or mods) to change the way the inertia calculates the thrust so that istead of only putting out enough thust to keep itself afloat, it takes the mass of the entery ship and al that is docked/attaches to it so that it distibutes the force needed to keep this mass hovering to all the engines attached instead of the ship whose mass it belongs to. U could also compare this to a cargo ship that has more than enough thust to hover but doesn't use all of its power for the ships it holds inside that don't have enough power to hover.

Btw. The attachment has more than enough power to hover the big ship and itself. And yes, my inertia is on.

2. bigsteve

Dont use Connectors or Landing Gear.
    Use Merge Blocks

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ronin1973

Your add on thrusters should be merged as Steve said. You will also want to include a power supply on-board large enough to drive enough thrusters to keep the add-on aloft alone in the air. Example, there are 12 upward thrusters but you only need 4 when not connected to the mother ship. The module should also have a remote block and one gyro.

This will guarantee that the module will be able to hover if you disconnect in atmosphere.

You should have at least one thruster in each direction so it stays where you left it (assuming it's level with gravity). You may also want one small ion thruster in each direction if you have to dock/release it in free space. When you unmerge anything, a little force will be applied to the grid on separation. If that force is not counteracted, the module's going to slowly drift.