Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Inertial Dampers and Hovering

Discussion in 'Balancing' started by Dakroth, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dakroth Apprentice Engineer

So I've come across a problem with the atmospheric thrusters. Because of the fact that hovering is controlled via the currently implemented inertial dampers, I have no way to cruise at a low speed save by constantly tapping forward and paying more attention to my speed than to my environment. In space, you can cruise at a set speed by turning off the dampers, but if you try that in atmosphere, you quickly find yourself moving down faster than you are forward. I have a couple of suggestions to solve this:

First would be to implement a variable inertial damper system by either moving that capacity to the thrusters themselves, rather than the cockpit, so you can have your downwards facing thrusters damping while the horizontal ones are not, or have a dual damper system wherein you have damper settings for horizontal that are separate from vertical, which would allow for the settings to remain in the cockpit.

The second, easier if less satisfying option would be to have thrusters display what their current force output is so players could manually tune thrust override for their downward thrusters to thae level of those thrusters when dampers are on.

Additionally, PLEASE give thrust override an on/offoption for hotbars!Having to press a key twenty times in order to decelerate is so inconvenient. D:

-Dakroth

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. miqueltozzz Trainee Engineer

You could use thruster override for the constant forward motion?

3. MainTango Apprentice Engineer

I usually put my forward facing or retro thrusters in a group and put it in the hotbar so I can enable/disable them with a button press.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. aRottenKomquat Apprentice Engineer

I'd love to see separate vertical and lateral dampeners. The vertical dampeners attempt to keep your altitude from changing but won't affect any lateral velocity, and you can use the lateral dampeners to kill your movement once you're done cruising.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Malware Master Engineer

I set up the Increase/Decrease Thrust Override for my forward thrusters. Works like a charm.

6. Bipin Trainee Engineer

To extend on that, I'd like to see some sort of option to sustain level flight at a predetermined altitude. I know this can be done with sensors, but it can be a bit finicky with undulating terrain, especially for something like a flying/floating aircraft carrier. Of course, I suppose geosynchronous orbit is always an option... Oh how I love this game and all its wild possibilities! :)

7. Jas Apprentice Engineer

this is the best way imo

8. Dakroth Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I discovered that technique shortly after posting this thread... Felt kind of silly that I hadn't thought of it myself. lol

-Dakroth

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.