Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Inexplicable sudden death syndrome since today's update!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by woosher, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. woosher Trainee Engineer

I have been attempting to continue construction work on a light armour platform and every time I use the build tool (welding torch) I either die or am propelled a few hundred metres from the build site. This happens since the latest update and has effectively rendered my game unplayable.

2. Manute951 Trainee Engineer

Hi, first post here.

Game worked flawless till the last update, now I suffer the same as the OP: sudden death or sudden acceleration and propel far away. It seems to happen also when using torch, and when touching panels. Seems to be OK if I don't touch blocks.

Also I experienced my first CTD, not sure if its related. Happens when trying to build the interior gun.

3. CarNL Trainee Engineer

Same problem here too. It seems as soon as you are being in the neighbourhood of your constructions and touch them you get bumped away with a big blast. your ships fly away and get really damaged and flood away. And it happens with all my last saves and this latest update.

4. iambeard Trainee Engineer

I can confirm this same bug. I'm playing on a server with friends, and the host seems to be having no problem, but I witness a number of physics problems, including welding pushes/kills, and objects with artificial mass (or wheels, not sure yet) bounce around. Most of these problems seem to be client-side physics, so I suspect the server physics is decoupled from the client, and this update, they forgot to also include an update on the clientside physics prediction.

5. Wok Trainee Engineer

First post here, and I can confirm this bug as well. Basically trigger a block update and you're in ragdoll mode.

Everything was fine until the latest update (01.027).

Some details, from what I've been able to figure out:

-I experience this issue when I play as a client on a MP server (I'm in AUS, server is in USA)
    -It seems to only be apparent when the player character is under the effect of gravity
    -The issue only comes up when there is a "block change" - ie, going from scaffold block to full block
    -If you start getting ragdolled then put on the jetpack, it cancels it out

5-min video on what happens:

Edit:
    I inverted the grav field (to weld some blocks on the ceiling of my ship) and the issue went away - I haven't been able to replicate the issue since even with the grav field restored to normal.

6. Artraxus Trainee Engineer

Here is what I think is the same bug but I am in creative mode so a ship or station jumping around or rotating unexpectedly wont kill me when I slam into the deck or the bulkheads.
    http://youtu.be/t78RNrExBxg

7. Mac D Junior Engineer

I am also getting some extreme sudden movement of mainly large ship blocks in single-player (offline) creative mode after today's update.

I had the default red ship doing sudden rapid backflips and then rapidly stopping after it was hit with small ship Gatling fire.

Had drill vibrations (switching on attached drills) trigger large armor block rail (clamped between wheels) to suddenly move at high velocity and tear through the mining rig structure housing it and fly off into space.

8. Grynn Apprentice Engineer

I was fine all day, no problems, played for hours, then all of a sudden ( after lag reload, not a problem, minor inconvenience) I get ctds, and now I'm getting smooshed everytime I build something, or grind something. only been doing it since I started new map, maybe i'll start another new one and avoid the mining hauler

9. Grynn Apprentice Engineer

I think maybe meteors are also hitting ships through asteroids, I'm finding damage on ships I park behind asteroids

10. vantyto Trainee Engineer

i have similar problem, but not by welding, but with touching asteroid, sometimes i just die, with no reason ,just because i am touching asteroid (no matter if jetpeck is on or off). but i have this problem in previous update too (i didn't play survival before, so don't know if that it was in previous updates too)

11. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

I seem to be having dramas as well after this patch. I'm in survival mode so a big part of me making things is pirating and then scrapping passing ships. I have a mining hauler on the ramp right now and all sorts of weird crap is happening! I tried to land it nose first on my ramp and did so successfully then attempted to grind away a turret on the rear end. All of a sudden I had a gyrating ship it was rocking on all four locked landing legs from one after another eventually it basically exploded the ramp then spun off into space with parts flying off in all directions. Also in one 24 hour period since the patch I have died more times then the sum of my deaths since I bought the game not long after release. :bawl:

Here are some examples : I was walking along my landing ramp with jetpack off (I have gravity on the ramp) as got to the hauler a started to check the deck around the landing legs for damage and bumped into the landing leg (well I assume I did ) then just suddenly I fell over dead, no injury nothing just stone dead. Another one I was standing inside a hauler again on the bottom deck as I placed a mass block (so first placement not built, just the frame) I died and the ship went into a rapid spin and then shot off into space taking out two nearby parked ships. Yet another, I walked up to my health station to replenish my energy and must've touched it as when I got there I just fell over dead. :mad:

I have also have had odd things happening like with another hauler I built 6 landing gears on the bottom and landed it using those to lock the hauler to the ramp. Once I started to take the antenna at the top apart I thought I had left my dampeners off on my spaceman as it seemed I was floating downward gradually instead of being stationary. But no it was the ship! Four landing gear had let go of the ramp and the two back ones were still locked to the platform so the ship was rising front end first! Something very definitely seems to have broken in some way so much so it has made it unplayable for me right now through shear frustration. Hope they figure this out soonish! :(

12. Xastabus Trainee Engineer

Also having this problem. Making any change to a ship frequently causes impact death and unless the ship is anchored to a station or asteroid the ship goes spinning out of control.

13. Grynn Apprentice Engineer

anchored to an asteroid doesn't matter, had the red ship all 4 landing gears locked on asteroid, grinded the cockpit to move it and build the cheaper one BAM dead as soon as I touched the walls and the ship goes spinning away after my corpse is blown through the hull (seriously there was even the floating junk associated with damage)

14. Grynn Apprentice Engineer

a total wipe and reload (even deleted the space engineers folder in steam) didn't help in the slightest

15. Wok Trainee Engineer

After the (two?) new patches, this issue is still present (for me anyway). This time it took a little while to manifest - say around an hour or so between 2-3 restarts of the game.

This time, I managed to grab a copy of the log before I restarted the game. I haven't trawled through a SE log before, so I have no idea what I should be looking for in it. Link to the log is here for those curious -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/13lyo7vgxgs7who/SpaceEngineers.log.txt

I have my ship anchored to a single station block on an incomplete landing gear, although the ship itself doesn't have any gyros or working thrusters.

16. SaintMerc Trainee Engineer

Greeting.

This is a similar bug to you guys so i'll link it here.
    http://forums.keenswh.com/post/bug-report-1-027-008-1-027-009-mil-transporter-6867365?pid=1282511536#post1282511536

Regards.

17. McGillicutti Trainee Engineer

Hi,

New to forum and have the same bug. I noticed something though, I think, and for me it was during disassembly of a ship (grinding).

Well, often we all remove the drill since it's 120kg, well, I noticed that when I do the disassembly with the drill on (meaning I have less room) I don't die. But if I take the drill off and go to do something, well I'll sometimes be jettisoned away from the ship I am disassembling without taking any damage. Walked around the solar panel hub with the thrusters and the panels are still on it, then I decided to grind the ramp (discovered when grinding the corners) and screen goes red, lose everything I was salvaging (no it's not left to pick up after I died) and I am told I died and respawn. Lone survivor in offline mode so, unless there's some hack going on none of us are aware of, it would seem this all stems around the drill being in inventory (as when I don't put the drill in storage then I can grind away and don't die, very odd).

Don't know if this is the cause but maybe the absence of the drill triggering it for me (and likely others) might help debug it.

Hope it is fixed soon,

McGillicutti

18. Artraxus Trainee Engineer

After much experimentation I believe the people are dying because of an impact at maximum velocity.
    Quoted from a response from another thread:

"From my observations when you are constructing, deconstructing, or repairing you force a "block update". If it is a turret, heavy armor, landing gear. rotors etc, the games physics go haywire and your ship begins to rotate. With no acceleration and everything jumping to maximum velocity everything that is attached to the rotating mass is ripped off or apart.The subsequent crash happens when hundreds possibly thousands of collisions have to be calculated instantly. You die because you are in survival and getting slammed against the deck of your ship at maximum velocity hurts and is lethal."

19. McGillicutti Trainee Engineer

Your theory is pretty worthless. I have no rotors. I am standing and grinding a corner piece between a ramp and thruster on a ship that has power off and nothing in the nuclear reactor.... Suddenly I am thrown away from the ship, but no I didn't die, instead I figure it's an alpha bug, no biggie, return to light armor corner and start to grind, then bam, dead.

No velocities going on, no rotating anything, and quoting this or that thread is just misdirection to what appears to be an unrelated issue (again I am standing and grinding), please, it's a bug thread and many of us want it fixed, troll elsewhere thanks.

EDIT: Oh and the ship is parked to the station (green landing gear locked to the station), nothing has moved just me being thrown away sometimes, but sometimes, just grind and die, and all I have to do not to is not put the drill in storage. Yeah, it's a velocity error... Not.

20. Artraxus Trainee Engineer

I was not trolling. I was attempting to be helpful. The primary bug is in the physics. Here is a video that demonstrates the issue at hand. I never stated it is a velocity error. I DID state is is a PHYSICS BUG. What you speak of is a symptom of the problem and not the cause. Your death is the result of being inside of the ship and having this happen to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t78RNrExBxg

Now that you have revealed yourself as an ass hat I bid you good day.

21. SaintMerc Trainee Engineer

McGillicutti I have the same problem, mini fix.
    disengage the landing gear off the platform a raise the ship a little.
    Do not re engage the landing gear.
    This seem to work for now, Not died for a while and able to grind, weld as so on again.

22. McGillicutti Trainee Engineer

SaintMerc, thank you for the suggestion. I think I'll wait for a patch, don't like running code that's got a major bug and risking the unintended consequences.

Oh, and I find parking it easier than adding thrusters until I can shut it all down when it's one or two light armored cubes hahaha (I understand there can be drift if you don't have power to the systems to keep the ship still, not that I've had anything happen with a ship with no power but a friend told me he did so I am just playing safe.)

23. Artraxus Trainee Engineer

Interesting coming from a person with 3 post who joined AN HOUR ago.

People tend to observe the symptom and not the cause. You stated that your ship was docked ... so you had landing gear... if you read my post that is one of the parts listed to create the physics bug. You are grinding... which forces a "block update"... which starts the problem. I don't die in my video because I am in creative mode. Death is impossible. If I were in one of those hangars and the ship began to rotate like that in survival mode I would be killed and I would not have an external reference to show the ship was rotating. It would appear as though everything was just jumping around and BOOM I'm dead. Which is what happened to me right after the patch. So I loaded a game in creative mode and began performing some experiments to see what was happening and if at all possible the cause. After I was able to reproduce my results I shot the video and uploaded it.

This is not misdirection. Rather the removal of symptomatic observation.

24. Artraxus Trainee Engineer

ROTFLMAO Nice delete of your post Mcgillicutti.

25. McGillicutti Trainee Engineer

SaintMerc, I tried your idea, it works, however, I did take a drill from storage too so one of those is in my inventory. Then.... I went to grinding a locked mining carriage without unparking it from the station and no deaths. It's almost like there's a requirement you have the 3 items on you or you die hahaha

EDIT: I also did grinding on another commercial ship to work on this too, again locked to station. No death, and no drill in inventory either, so it seems to be related to one ship. SaintMerc, what ship were you taking apart and getting killed by? I just wonder if we're salvaging the same ship. I took out the beacon already as it was on the half I already salvaged. It's the commercial shipment with the 2 sets of solar panels and interior pillars between them, along with a set of Gatling turrets. Hope you didn't read this already so maybe if you post a reply it might be same ship, would narrow down a lot.

26. Artraxus Trainee Engineer

The first video of this thread shows "WOK" trying to build a light on the platform of a ship. Watch the video and look at the shadows of the ship on the asteroid as he places the light on the deck. The ship is clearly bouncing or moving around and he is slammed into it which kills him. The effect is caused by the "block update". It is difficult to spot in that video because it is shot from the inside of the ship but it can be seen on the shadow of the ship on the asteroid. Same bug as demonstrated in my video only I am outside of the ship and the "block update" I trigger is different, but the effect is the same.

27. pfshfine Trainee Engineer

I'm experiencing this bug when I put a grinder to the unfinished armor blocks on the top-port side of the mining hauler.

28. McGillicutti Trainee Engineer

pfshfine, did you try some of the things mentioned?

SaintMerc has unlocked ship he's grinding and lifted it above the station dock,

I found I have to have my drill in my inventory to work on one ship that is also unlocked and moved to where there is no proximity indicator on the landing gear, wondering if location -- side of station platform with the inset upside down landing gear -- might have something to do with it if different ships (as maybe it's those landing gear somehow), or it's just random (but if we find a common thread that would help the developer more than many other ideas).

That's all I've seen in survival mode that allows me to continue in offline mode. I hope the dev makes a fix soon, game is catching on and not a good time for a setback.

29. FuelX Trainee Engineer

+1 for SaintMerc. Thanks, it did magic for me! I definitely can't build on docked structures.

30. SaintMerc Trainee Engineer

Greetings

McGillicutti the ships we mainly have are Mil Transporters.
    We turned them into our main base. And parked them on the platform attached to a roid.
    But as said attaching them just kills us even with the 3 tools on our belts.

We found that grinding the ship threw you backwards at speed and killed you
    and also even having the grinder or welder in your hand and just slowly landing on the ship
    floor would also instant kill you.

I had a friend come over to my ship while this was happening after I died 10 times
    and to him the ship was bouncing around up and down but to me the ship was quite still.
    This is the only explanation that I can give you of what was happening and
    it effected all the players on the server with landed ships.

So we just unparked them and lifted them from the platform for now and all is working fine.
    We are not sure what is causing this as it only started since the first patch yesterday
    1.027.008 and 1.027.009 still didn't fix things.
    But the 1.027.009 did fix the ship from spinning out of control when detaching from the
    platform.

So until a fix comes out, I suggest not attaching ships to platforms.

FuelX Glad I could help.

Regards.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.