Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Is it possible to have a piston moved passively?

Discussion in 'General' started by splitsie, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. splitsie Apprentice Engineer

I've been playing around with a few designs of some rotor and piston based machinery and haven't been able to get this to work.

What I'd like to be able to do is to compress or extend a piston without the piston itself being active (I'm wanting to use the piston as a stabiliser rather than use its force directly). From what I've tried this doesn't seem possible at the moment and I'm curious whether it's something keen or a modder would be able to add to the game.

I could figure out the speed I need it to move at, but it would be quite complex for my mathematics impaired brain to work out, plus I'd prefer having something more dynamic as you'd get with a passively moveable piston head.

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Is this what you’re looking to do?

3. splitsie Apprentice Engineer

I'm actually hoping to build a scissor lift, but the trouble I have is in the connection between the top part of the lift and the carriage. On a normal scissor lift you'd have sliding parts there, if I could use pistons as passive sliding parts that would work too. Right now I'm trying to use 1x1 wheels set into a notch in armor which isn't super reliable :(

4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Perhaps you should try blast door blocks instead of armor blocks for just a bit more clearance.

5. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I was typing this sentence in
    "That guy should use camera to get distances past 50 and the dropping speed (important for speed mods)."
    Then he said... when "planets come in" and I was like... ohhhhh.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

He bounced that sucker! What was that about!?!

7. ViroMan Senior Engineer

He said in the video its all done with timers and sensors. Therefore he could not ever get the thrust and vectoring to be perfect with operating purely on timers and short range sensors and still be compact as that and not look horrid. I don't even know if PB's were a thing back then.

8. Sinbad Senior Engineer

to the OP, no. passive pistons are not a thing. i would love it if they were though. maybe a force slider so we could change how much they push or pull? we could make springs with that. would be especially great if they included a 'resistance' slider that would add inertia to the piston motion so we could use them as dampers as well.

9. odizzido Junior Engineer

seems like you're trying to make it too complicated? Loading SE right now to try making one....

edit-----------
    Ahh I see exactly what you mean now. I don't know how you could solve this. +1 for passive pistons.

edit2---------
    I imagine the top and bottom pistons just need to move the same speed? It's too much work to test this for me but if I were to try that's what I would do.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  10. ViroMan Senior Engineer

huh... so I was like... hmm leme try to make a scissor lift. I made one with two pistons and 4 rotors in an X pattern. Looked great in tiny micro increment runs. I copied the BP and pasted it behind me. Activated my clang summoner 2000 and watched it spazz out like a helicopter blade. Copied the clanging BP and... I broke ALL BP coping. The game refused to copy ANY BP's after that. Even leaving the map and going back into it... BP copying was broken. lol?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You didn't hold your tongue correctly.

12. Calaban Junior Engineer

well, if you wanted better proof of Clang Heresy disapproval being displayed to the common man, or proof that Lord Clang Hates us simply because we dare to play around in HIS universe....

... just tinker around a bit more. :)

13. halipatsui Senior Engineer

How to make piston that gives in to force:

Reverse piston using timer block or script depending on the accuracy you need.

Set piston forces so that they dont have enough force to oppose the force. This way they will only be able to move away from the force

• Like Like x 1
  14. ViroMan Senior Engineer

daisy chain rotors with weak breaking force?

15. GusGrizzly Trainee Engineer

I actually suggested this to Keen in my Physics and Engineering Contest email lol. So I hope they've considered it.

16. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

You certainly know how to make Klang excited :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lawd_Potato Trainee Engineer

While I have an answer to your scissor lift, I've not tested it in SE myself, but it should work. You just want to build your scissor lift using an active piston on both the base and the carriage, both configured to push/pull together at the same time.

I've thrown the below together in sketchup to assist (in case my description isn't clear :)):

[​IMG]

The arrows indicate the direction of applied force from the piston. So, you're going to have to retract the piston to move the lift up, and extend to move the lift down.

18. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I did one where they both originated from the base and clang was summoned with such a hard on.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Lawd_Potato Trainee Engineer

@splitsie
    Finally managed to test the scissor lift out, and it works:

[​IMG]

So, maybe this is something people already knew when connecting a lot of rotors together, but they have to have their Rotor displacement set to 1.0cm

I've posted the above sample to the workshop here.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. odizzido Junior Engineer

Your platform is on a rotor?

21. ViroMan Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Psst, it's actually only 8mm offset, 1cm still yields a net rotation force. Then again, so does the combination of basically any offset + pistons

23. boromir Apprentice Engineer

In the Keen physics contest, the first winning submission that Xocli described had shocks on the wheels for that big vehicle, which I thought was Connectors and Pistons. Trouble is you need some free movement (passive). Could you exploit the freedom in Connectors to leverage it as the free rotation you need?

24. Sinbad Senior Engineer

have a look and see how its done:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1284816876

25. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Psst. That was also me, I promise I know what I'm talking about.

The suspension worked basically as you said, connectors will attempt to always go to the "connected" state (lined up so you can lock them) So long as it remains reasonably close there is about 45 degrees in a cone from which it can deflect before it breaks thr connection, but holding that connector within that angle using a pivoting bar you get a very loosely speaking spring action.

Take that spring and put it into a parallel 4 bar linkage and you get some upright up and down travel for the suspension.

• Informative Informative x 1
  26. boromir Apprentice Engineer

Right. So, @splitsie, while not a piston, you might be able to modify your design a little in order to take advantage of the freedom of travel you gain from the connectors by using them in this way.

Again, congrats @GrindyGears on your submission, very impressive!

• Like Like x 1
  27. splitsie Apprentice Engineer

Thank you guys so much, this is amazingly helpful :)

28. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Can't help thinking something from Mech's Gears n Things coulda worked here somehow...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.