Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Isn't the game a little too bright inside ships?

Discussion in 'General' started by PowderMonk, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. PowderMonk Trainee Engineer

I'm not sure if is intended, but if I enclose myself in a cube of armor and switch off the headlights i can still see clearly like there's some sort of light source somewhere, but there isn't! it's a bit odd, and makes the use of interior lights useless.It's dark only the first seconds I come from a brighter room to a dark room, but the image seems to adapt untill the room is completely visible like if it was illuminated by a light source.

I remember this game back in the days more darker! i mean, maybe it was a little too dark, but now is too bright hahaha....is a my pc/configuration/bug issue or is meant to be like this?

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 18
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Speshal_Snowman Apprentice Engineer

I think this is intentional, people were complaining about things being way to dark, they are constantly tinkering with values, so overtime things will change. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PowderMonk Trainee Engineer

I hope, now lights are useless, I don't feel the need to use them, and is quite disappointing. I understand the game was too dark, but was also real, the problem was the light diffusion

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

5. PowderMonk Trainee Engineer

thank you! now we have only to wait

6. DDP-158 Master Engineer

I'm glad it's just a bug and not a request. Seems to happen in far too many games. When I started DAOC when it got dark you stopped where you were because you couldn't see anything and log fire actually did something, then they lit it up so much it seemed like evening. In skyrim you have to install the true dark mod if you ever want to use a torch. In mc they put in beds so people can skip the scary night time.

This is just a few examples and I can bring up some that still do darkness like 7dtd and dayz (I loved holding the glow stick because it drove my friend crazy. "People are going to see us damnit!"), but it all too commonly seems like many players just don't want darkness in the game at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

We need the dark so that lighting we try to achieve in our ships and stations make sense.

8. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

It could stand to be a little bit darker but considering Keen's idea of "dark" is "pitchblack" i prefer things the way they are on account of actually being able to see.
    (Give the suit's spotlights the range and size of the Spectator Mode-light and we can have a new talk about DX11-Blindfold.)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

To be fair, the surface of planets shouldn't be pitch black, but interior spaces and caves/deep holes with no windows should be.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

lol reminds me of the old days with dx9. it was so dark when dx11 first came out,guess it's getting eerily light again haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

As an aside, I'd say beds are implemented pretty darn well.

Considering they don't work if mobs are too close to you, they're almost purely a time saver: any situation where you can use a bed, you could also just be holed up and idle until day rolls around, which is boring as hell. If its dark out an mobs would be a problem for you, you're likely not doing anything anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Not that beds are totally bad but to me it usually defeats the challenge of dealing with scary monsters.
    In survival games like mc or 7dtd I prefer to maximize my effeciency. In the daytime either work on fortifying my base so I can come outside at night or I go on a scavenge run. At night I either craft in safety or run into a mine for resources. So for me just jumping in bed means I'm not maximizing my time. It's probably why I can have an entire base up n running within an hour where other people complain that it's too hard.

13. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

Suggestion, F12, render, lighting, disable shadows. Not only will it keep it bright but it will also improve on performance a tad bit.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

That's a nice option, looks good, i have to say. But will the dev-menu continue to be accessible later on? I am doubtful.

15. Spets Master Engineer

the darkness should be pitch black imo, well maybe not that dark, I don't know. The lighting needs improvements for sure, there is not even real time shadows now... I hope this is only temporarily. ???

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Maddo Trainee Engineer

Ya, I wouldn't mind more darkness. Setting up lighting could be a fun mini-game, although I remember it being a real pain for everything except enclosed spaces. Even then I think all the light sources required was causing a decent drop in performance for many people.

Maybe give the suits more diffuse lighting, and the spotlights more range and a bigger cone. Not sure how to counter the performance hit of all all the individual internal light sources needed to light up a spaceship.

Edit: Ahh that's what it was. Even with spotlights the player shadows are brutal and tough on the eyes. It can look kinda cool, but is a huge pain if you're trying to separate the already easily confused rock/platinum/silicon or iron/nickel or uranium/shadow.

17. DuneD Junior Engineer

Wait, this game has lights ? and SHADOWS ?!

18. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

I have to agree, i'm sure in planets its a bit annoying but building in space being too bright instead of too dark is fine with me for now. Hell stick it on a slider in the settings ranging from "DayZ darkness" to "White star in my face".

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

I want the pitch black skybox to work again. T-T
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Twas a cool mod, I remember this one and the pure white one. Burned my retinas on that :stare:

21. mrax Apprentice Engineer

Has someone else noticed that it gets darker when you color blocks black (or in any other dark color) and then if you would color them white everything gets brighter all the sudden. I think this started around the time when they made light reflect from all surfaces, which I think was a great improvement, but it was also the time when everything got (too) bright (again). Maybe they should just reduce the effect block color has on brightness?

22. Griffon0129 Trainee Engineer

I mentioned something like this a while back but didn't get a single comment on it: http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/adjust-lighting.7383774/
    Although I mostly talked about how dark it is on planets. I said: Maybe it's cause I'm used to it but I still feel like I can see better on a new moon IRL than I can on the game during nights on planets.
    Then I also mentioned that lights are pointless in space since it's always light enough no matter what.

23. Einharjar Junior Engineer

[​IMG]

I dunno, space is pretty damned dark. Plenty of reasons to use light.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

They meant in-game, I'd assume. The game is too bright.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

I like the pitch black. I don't like the fact the lights we have are useless seeing through it.

I think we maybe getting infrared sights at some point.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

I would not mind heavy darkness if vision eye adjust worked correctly. I think it still darkens your vision when you go into a dark area. Which is the opposite of how it should be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. [LP] OMG Shadow® Trainee Engineer

I'd like it to be pitch black. Being able to see inside a completely closed room/base/ship/space monster totally steals the immersive feel. Think of the endless possibilities we have when we get the new particles which (I hope) may light up darker ares, for example. Besides, what sense do shadows have if there's too much light? Hiding underneath the bed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Einharjar Junior Engineer

Oh, I misunderstood the posts. Oops...

Perhaps they need to think about second light sources for planetary bodies close enough to each other, because that's the problem. A large object (celestial body) next to another doesn't reflect the light onto each other's surfaces in-game. I wonder how'd they'd add that effect without killing things. All they need is to have a situational second light source, but... is that doable within the renderer?

29. BoxxyBrown Apprentice Engineer

I would think that if you wanted a realistic, very dark atmosphere where interior lights were needed, they'd have to significantly overhaul the lighting system - if you wanted it to actually look decent, anyway. Right now lights just makes an area in a sphere, or cone bright. But in real life that light bounces and lights other things indirectly. And I think that's really, really hard to do in real time.

30. AdmObir Apprentice Engineer

I know I miss coming over the horizon and seeing my well lit base in the distance. Lights can really accentuate a build, and with proper light placement, can really make a build look fantastic at night. With the brightness as it currently is, this effect has been lost. I really hope, at the very least, we get a gamma correction setting in the options menu.

• Agree Agree x 3
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.