Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Isn't the game a little too bright inside ships?

Discussion in 'General' started by PowderMonk, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Graphi Trainee Engineer

Hello engineers!

I'm guesing that this is the same thing and no need to post about this in bug section - all non ground/voxel objects ?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. dispair Apprentice Engineer

I have only had a few hours s week to play this year, so for me it is all about what is fun. When dx11 camber out i loved it, but even a double row of lights did not put out enough light for me to walk through my ship. I was using spotlights all over my base to walk around at night. It really was a bit much, so until they get a working light system the bright ambient is the fix. I would really think that keen would just throw ambient light on a slider. I am all for option menus filled with..... Options.

If they get interior lights to a point that I can use less than two hundred of them, and spot lights work well enough that I can land my miner at night I would love to see the ambient turned back to zero, or at least on a slider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AedanXaelan Apprentice Engineer

I am definitely of the vote that darkness should be...dark. I know people were complaining that it was too dark, but ya know, when there's no source of light, blackness is what remains. Go close yourself in a closet with no light. It's damn black dark. You can't see...at all.

I agree that the lighting effect could use some love, but I really hope that unnatural ambient light is not the permanent solution.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mobiyus Apprentice Engineer

I remember another thread like this not too long ago that caused much disagreements. Some where saying stuff like :''I want it pitch black because it's like that IRL'', which was replied by :''Well, I was outside the other night and it wasn't that dark!'' (I'm paraphrasing).

Fact: Nights on Earth can be both pitch black (cloudy moonless night) and brightly lit (full moon night) depending on many factors such as atmospheric conditions and moon's position in the sky.

Short term solution: A goddamn gamma slider
    Long term solution: Eye adaptation fix + Lighting effect based on atmospheric conditions and celestial body positioning (namely, orbiting moon(s)) as in real life

What lighting level is best to do in-game remains a matter of opinion and personal preferences. I hope that at some point the player is given the choice of the ambient light level via a gamma slider. Some people do enjoy being able to see without spamming lights everywhere, others enjoy the realism and risks of a dark night (I'm in the latter group). It's obvious though that the lighting we have now is simply broken, we can only wait and see.

5. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

sign...

People are never satisfied...

6. anders w Apprentice Engineer

DARKNESS = DARKNICE :D

i like having a need for lights.
    was working on a scenario some time ago (when it was still dark) and and it realy helped the imersion along.

i had darkness when needed and when not i set up some lights :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Also I noticed on the skyboxes I use, sun size and brightness are all the same as the god awful overly bright vanilla. So you can't even escape this with mods anymore.

8. Devon_v Senior Engineer

What the game needs is to be pitch black in the absence of light, and to be effectively lit by the presence of light.

The way it was previously was fine, aside from interior lights having all the effectiveness of a single LED. If the interior lights contributed to an ambient value for the "room" to simulate the light rebounding it would look much better under normal circumstances, while the inside of a box would still be black.

'Twould be interesting if a means could be found to simulate moonlight as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. DDP-158 Master Engineer

And all that is true. For example Florida is pitch fucking black. They also have a blacktop highway. If it weren't for the painted lines on the road you would have no idea where the road ends and immenent doom begins. Nm and AZ (the desert areas) are much the same way.
    However in my home state in the northwest, on a full moon I can drive with the headlights off and see just fine.

A big part if how you see depends on how much reflective particles are in the air, so to simulate that a slider would be great. Not a slider for overall gamma, just a slider for darkness.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Can anyone confirm this? Even modded skyboxes can't be made dark anymore. They are all the same brightness as the default skybox.

11. DuneD Junior Engineer

The only way around it is from the debug menu, cant remember which settings exactly, its been a while... Been asking for that slider for months, persistent ambient light is so ugly that made me leave the game after 1400h, and I'm starting to think its not going away, seeing as its a problem with an easy solution (MAKE IT DAMN OPTIONAL!). But I guess its not a priority, so have fun, I keep checking from now and then see if this issue ( and others.. ) got fixed, hopefully one day they will :')

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. CillianRaynor Trainee Engineer

I'm in the exact same situation. After like 800 hours in i stopped playing and will not resume until they get the lighting back to how it was. It's horrendous right now. I built a big and elaborate land base and spent so much time fine tuning the lighting for best ambiance. Then the lighting "bug" occurred and now it's just a whole ugly bright mess. And i read that it was a bug but like you i'm starting to believe they don't really have any intention to change it. How difficult would it be to set things back to how they were? I mean it's true that before, the lighting maybe didn't quite carry enough, but now it's a hundred times worse. Like you I only check the weekly update log now to see if it's fixed but it's been many many weeks now and my patience is wearing thin.

Liek this is THE priority right now as far as i'm concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DuneD Junior Engineer

Thank you, I know I'm not alone in this rant. To me personally, immersion is a really important aspect of the game, hopefully one of this weeks we'll get back our darkness :'(

14. KalTauri Trainee Engineer

need ray based lighting, nein to the simulated effects of eyes adjusting. earlier lighting systems were a mix of good/bad. Like you needing a light on every block on a station in order to actually light it, because a single light only lit up a single block. Or when you enter a station through a window because of the sun the inside of the station was super dark. Light leveling was bad, the effect simulated for your eyes adjusting to light sources made me unhappy. I don't care how compute intensive ray based lighting is!

15. DuneD Junior Engineer

That simply isnt true, back when we got darkness, pitch black darkness, I could light up a hangar of more than 20x20 blocks with 4-5 interior lights ( you do know that you can increase the radius of interior lights , right? ), that the system needed to be improved, true, but it was far better than what we have now.

16. crazyrobban Apprentice Engineer

Give me back my pitch black space and the need for lights!
    People running the game on potatoes can get a potatoe quality setting without dynamic lights.

17. chemicalscum Apprentice Engineer

Right now the lighting gives me a headache.. it's almost like some kind of motion sickness, but with lighting. It just triggers me so much that I can't play the game anymore, at least not Survival. I really hope this will be fixed soon, for me it's almost totally game breaking.

18. zdzier Apprentice Engineer

I get, that it might be stupid to just make it pitch black, but what i say, is that it should be dark enough to incentivise the use of lights. Like when you fly into an asteroid to look around, youd want to turn the flashlight on, but when you settle in there you dont have to plaster lamps all around the place to see if youre not gonna hit some stalacSPIKE while flying out, but have them in living areas for comfort

19. Cruzz999 Apprentice Engineer

Here's to hoping PBR will help out with some proper lighting.

20. SpaceViking Trainee Engineer

Agreed on all counts. I actually really miss shadows and darkness. The super weak lighting in interiors was suboptimal for sure. Now lights are mostly pointless aside from use as indicator lights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Radeth Apprentice Engineer

Yeah something like this breaks immersion completely..
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: That's my base on an ice lake at night..I even coloured it as the lake surface for camouflage :woot:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.