Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

IT IS TIME

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Hasbinbad, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

For a new edition of netcode.

I will be starting a campaign on these forums to push this through as days go on. This post is only the beginning.

All the fancy blocks in the world mean ***NOTHING*** on dedicated servers, so long as the desynch issue makes them absolutely useless.

The desynch due to netcode is the root of ***SO MANY*** issues.

Desynch Issues List:
    Cargo Ships - rubber banding, and "impossible" to obtain.
    Connectors - blow up ships half the time
    Landing Gears - FREAK THE HECK OUT when you try and land on another ship, often completely destroying one or both
    Merge Blocks - often take minutes to try and connect, bouncing around the whole time, and damaging ships
    Rotors - will break off if the ship tries to move AT ALL, and sometimes just when it's stationary
    Energy Regeneration - doesn't display energy correctly half the time, and medbays often stutter their way to 100% rather than having a smooth stream of incoming energy
    Ship Power Use - goes up and down wildly as client/server tries to agree but cannot

I'll expand the above list as I think of more stuff caused by desynch (or as you post more desynch issues).

A lot of people have been rattling doors about these issues, but they have been ignored, so I am collecting these issues under the "NETCODE SUX, FIX DESYNCH FFS" umbrella.

Keen, this is what needs attention. I am *ALL FOR* testing and providing a place to test and making the game better, but the fact is that WE CANNOT TEST THESE THINGS FOR YOU BECAUSE THEY BREAK EVERYTHING. So, on dedicated servers, we only get to test the things that DO NOT break stuff, which is really what DOESN'T need to be tested.

I know you know how to do it. The second edition of the netcode was SO MUCH BETTER for anyone not running the dedicated server on a wooden computer with a dialup modem..

Please, on behalf of the dedicated community, fix the dern netcode.
    /signed
    Hasbinbad

2. squisher Trainee Engineer

/signed

3. Arrnor Trainee Engineer

4. Wuxian Trainee Engineer

I am pretty sure they are already working on this since the netcode rollback.
    If you want a proper netcode multiplayer experience, be patient, it's not easy.
    Or do you want another broken version?

5. WackyWocky Trainee Engineer

All of this!

6. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

The second edition of netcode was WAY WAY BETTER on servers that aren't powered by hamsters.

Also, I have been patient. Do you see the lack of spam posted by me since they rolled the netcode back?

Yeah. It's been months now.

7. extraammo Senior Engineer

I wish they hadn't undone that one netcode update. It made things work so much faster and better.

8. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

First, this is does not belong in the BUGS section.

Second, learn what alpha means.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

FROM WIKI:
    "Alpha software can be unstable and could cause crashes or data loss. External availability of alpha software is uncommon in
    proprietary software. However, open source software, in particular, often have publicly available alpha versions, often distributed as the raw source code of the software. The alpha phase usually ends with a feature freeze, indicating that no more features will be added to the software. At this time, the software is said to be feature complete."

What you are talking about is something that is normally covered in BETA.
    FROM WIKI:
    "
    It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss. The focus of beta testing is reducing impacts to users, often incorporating usability testing."

In short: get over it.

9. SeeJayEmm Apprentice Engineer

Seconded. Quit whining and let the devs do their jobs.

10. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

Actually it does, since the desynch could be termed a bug without any sort of stretch of terminology.

Secondly, KmA dude. I know what Alpha means. I used that line (appropriately) only yesterday. Try and keep up. The fact is that we CANNOT TEST the things they are releasing because of an overarching bug. Again, KmA.

If you don't have anything useful to say, this is probably not the thread for you.

11. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

You're the one posting in my thread.

I don't pee in your bathtub, don't poop in my fridge.

12. DukeGrimm Trainee Engineer

I haven't tested it recently, but there was also an issue with Control Panel lag that I only ever experience online. Most commonaly when a stationhip has more than 1-2 ships connected to it via rotors/connectors.

/signed

13. Fingersniffer Apprentice Engineer

Hasbinbad, while I somewhat agree with the topic, I disagree with your delivery method. You really come off sounding like an entitled d-bag, I would suggest not drinking so much of your own brand of Kool-Aid and try presenting valid points without all the drama and hypebeast and have people sign on for that.

14. D4rk4ng31 Junior Engineer

Mh, i cant really like you, you know and its the same for you i think, but in this case ...

totally agree (with mainpost)

15. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

I don't care if people don't like me, I only want results.

I hereby martyr my rep for The Good Of The Game.

FOR THE GOOD OF THE GAME PEOPLE!!!

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

16. Newskin Trainee Engineer

You have my vote sir. These issues need to be fixed!

17. Draygo Senior Engineer

See signature.

18. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

See, this is the kind of level headed gathering of pertinent information which is amazing and acceptable by the standards of the self-appointed-forum-cop-community, but to what effect, dear sir? To what effect indeed?

I'm just trying to pour some shaken up beer on this stuffy cocktail party.

19. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

We have very few luxuries on Dedicated servers. Indeed we are the deprived. It is time we had nice things. You have my support, sir.

20. Universum Apprentice Engineer

I hear time and time again from my players, we love this game but having 1 week a month to just fix bugs. Everyone would love that!

Yes its alpha but after we find bugs fixing them would be great, not to mention we paid for this game we understand some issues with alpha but some aspects just get plain ignored after there found.

Like merge blocks have the blue line above the red, 5 min fix right there, its been that way for a month...

21. MrCooper01 Trainee Engineer

/signed.

but most of all please fix the fuc*ing save function :-/
    now 3 weeks later, we nearly want to cancel the subscription for the server because we have no fuc*ing clue how long it might take to get it saving again.

they must stop working on new blocks and this senseless stuff. the community will do so on its own. but the community needs a working multiplayer. a functioning multiplayer MUST be #1 #1 #1 priority!

22. Menta Trainee Engineer

/signed

23. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

+1
    Yes, alphas are glitchy and that is to be expected, but to seemingly ignore said glitches and keep pumping in more content would only be viable if one had a clear-cut vision and plan for the final product, which isn't the case.. and that's a good thing, the developers are open to ideas and suggestions, developing the game with the players' wishes in mind.
    However, there seems to be a trend of introducing features and items week after week, instead of introducing fixes and optimization, which just isn't viable in neither the long nor short run.
    Yes, it's an alpha... But when you're building something and developing it at the same time, whatever it may be, you can't just keep piling on parts and expect to be able to fix all the issues when you're done building.

24. WarpedRealities Trainee Engineer

I +1 this. And Keen. It's clear you're having trouble with this whole once a week thing you're doing what with how you seem to be releasing progressively more broken updates now. If you need to announce a month long break in your update schedule to refactor the net code so it actually is in some way functional that's fine.

25. MrCooper01 Trainee Engineer

+1

thank you for staying so calm and explainging our issues to well. everytime our server crashes and we were not able to locally save the map, i am getting more and more frustrated and can't keep calm the first minutes. sorry for that :D

26. Belthize Apprentice Engineer

They're working on it. This kind of thread doesn't help much.

And as proof that they're working on it they just released a second hotfix today (043.15) addressing server saving so go test it.

27. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

That is unrelated to outstanding netcode issues, which this thread specifically references.

This is not a catch all whine thread. It is specifically a whine thread about netcode.

Please stay on topic. Thanks.

28. NovusNecrontyr Trainee Engineer

/signed

I may not say much within the forums, but this community can be volatile sometimes. Despite all that, I see the frustration of everyone. Those who think the game owes them because they paid for it and even those who are fully aware that the game is alpha. Despite the game being Alpha, it has still been released to the public. Despite the game being in development, it is still a piece of software that is being sold. Monetizing is happening. Keen has put out the disclaimer that the game is Alpha. I fully accept that. When I died because I mined in an asteroid, I accepted it. When My ship exploded because pistons were grumpy, I accepted it. If it takes them 3 weeks to fix a "possible" auto-save issue, I will accept that. At least, in some remote way, I see them working on it.

But right now, as the players, we are providing so many responses to various bugs and issues. We help the dev team by consolidating the bugs into threads, each person confirming the existance of the bugs. When the game crashes, we submit our crash logs in an attempt to assist the devs in finding the problems. What we are lacking, in essence, is the feedback on our efforts. We never know what they are going to do in the next update. More often than not, it's more "Jesus Features" such as new blocks, functionality and mechanics. With a side order of bug fixes.

I challenge Keen to give us bug report feedback. How? A thread. Listing Bugs. Bugs that have been officially recognized. Such as "Possible" Auto-save issue. Then, next to the bugs, a progress update. Something Simple. Such as: In Progress. Or Planned for next update. Or even Acknowledged but delayed. Phand is really the only way we ever find out that something has been acknowledge. I swear that woman deserves a prize. Some kind of giant bag of cookies and wine.

To simplify for those who TL;DR:

Yes, We know Game is Alpha.
    Please communicate with us regarding planned bug fixes.
    Without Phand, there is next to no communication.

Forgive the rant. It's my own frustration.

29. afinegan Apprentice Engineer

/signed

This game will be so much more amazing in multiplayer with this worked on!!!

30. Arrnor Trainee Engineer

This. So much this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.