Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

JUMP DRIVE BUG: 0.1% weight increase due to docked small ship decreases jump distance 90%

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Avaslash, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

I discovered that attaching any smallships to a large ship with a jump drive reduces its jump distance SUBSTANTIALLY and unrealistically. My ships jump distance is 1123km. It has 7 jump drives. However if I attach two small ships to my ship using landing gears my jump distance reduces to 300km. If I attach a few more ships it decreases to 100km. I calculated the difference in weight between the lone ship, and the ship with the small ships attached and its only 19,000kg. Thats a 19,000kg difference correlating to a 1000km jump distance. Keep in mind the ship weighs 15,000,000kg and has a jump distance of 1200kg at that weight. Thats a .1% weight difference resulting in a loss of 90% of its jump distance. To test if this really was related to weight I added 19,000kg of ore to the ship. It barely affected jump distance at all. So there is clearly a bug with jump distance and small ships docking to large ships. This bug could become very problematic in the future with planets as we will need to be jumping vast distances and will very likely be needing a large host of smallships to bring with us.

See the gallery below for more info.

2. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

Please comment if you also have this problem, or think its a bug that should be fixed.

3. Arcturus Senior Engineer

I tested with the easy start 1 red ship and fighter, and found the cause of the bug. The game adds the masses of all grids being jumped (held together by rotors, pistons, landing gear, etc) to determine jump range, but small ships held by landing gear (since the "weld landing gears" internal change) become part of the large ship's rigid body and self-report the total mass.

Each small ship held on by landing gear is counted as having the same mass as the total mass of all ships jumped, for the purposes of determining jump range.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Avaslash Trainee Engineer

Very interesting! Thanks for finding that out. This is definitely a bug.

5. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

That's a pretty important bug, posting for sake of a bump.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Voyager_sput2015 Trainee Engineer

And here I was wondering why the mass of my small miner suddenly jumped from 19000 kg to over 2.2million kg (the mass of my mother ship) when docking using connector and some landing gears..... Interesting bug...

• Like Like x 1
  7. HadesDurin Apprentice Engineer

i guess they fail to calculate the total mass number for the jumpdrive
    at the moment you have 2 ships a big one A and small one B

so when you sit in cockpit of ship A or B
    than
    you see the total mass of both ships counting together, which is right in that way
    but to calculate the jump mass the total mass counts 2 times (one time for each ship)
    it should work the way that only one time of the totalmass counts

8. Phand Master Engineer

Hi,

I will check it out. Thank you. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. X.ecut.R Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.